Points for immigration

Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:00 am
Just Joined

Iceboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Points for immigration

Hi All,

I have just tried the immigration points tool on the CIC (www.cic.gc.ca) website, which I assume is the official site?

Anyway, If I complete it myself I get 67 points and if my wife completes it, she gets 71 points.

So Would it be better for her to complete the application form as the main person or would that still be me?

Any advice on application forms etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
IceBoy
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Points for immigration

Originally Posted by Iceboy
Hi All,

I have just tried the immigration points tool on the CIC (www.cic.gc.ca) website, which I assume is the official site?

Anyway, If I complete it myself I get 67 points and if my wife completes it, she gets 71 points.

So Would it be better for her to complete the application form as the main person or would that still be me?

Any advice on application forms etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
IceBoy
That is the official site, so yes, it appears you both have enough points. But do you have a job offer approved by HRSDC, or is your job likely to appear on the occupations in demand list when it's released next month? Points mean very little on their own, you also need one of those things to qualify, so that may well determine who applies.

Re: advice on forms, what advice did you need? Shout with any questions and somebody will be happy to help. And as per your previous thread about points, don't forget that the points system is changing in May so the calculator on the CIC website isn't relevant if you're planning on applying after that.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 19th 2013 at 2:33 am.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply.

I know this may sound like a silly question.....but do I have to have a job or be on some list of prefered expertise for me to come to Canada?

We started thinking about Canada at the begining of the year and we are now really wanting to start the process.

I thought it would be fairly straight forward but I guess not?

I'm a little lost.
IceBoy
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:41 am
Just Joined

Yikes !

I just found the list below. I guess with me being a marketing professional and my wife a teacher we have no chance?

Group A – Jobs with sub-caps of 100 applications each (and their corresponding 2011 NOC code)
•7202 Contractors and supervisors, electrical trades and telecommunications occupations
•7204 Contractors and supervisors, carpentry trades
•7205 Contractors and supervisors, other construction trades, installers, repairers and servicers
•7271 Carpenters
•7301 Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades
•7302 Contractors and supervisors, heavy equipment operator crews
•8211 Supervisors, logging and forestry
•8221 Supervisors, mining and quarrying
•8222 Contractors and supervisors, oil and gas drilling services
•8241 Logging machinery operators
•8252 Agricultural service contractors, farm supervisors and specialized livestock workers
•9211 Supervisors, mineral and metal processing
•9212 Supervisors, petroleum, gas and chemical processing and utilities
•9214 Supervisors, plastic and rubber products manufacturing
•9231 Central control and process operators, mineral and metal processing
•9241 Power engineers and power systems operators
•9243 Water and waste treatment plant operators

Group B – no sub-caps (2011 NOC code)
•7231 Machinists and machining and tooling inspectors
•7233 Sheet metal workers
•7235 Structural metal and plate work fabricators and fitters
•7236 Ironworkers
•7237 Welders and related machine operators
•7241 Electricians (except industrial and power system)
•7242 Industrial electricians
•7243 Power system electricians
•7244 Electrical power line and cable workers
•7245 Telecommunications line and cable workers
•7246 Telecommunications installation and repair workers
•7251 Plumbers
•7252 Steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installers
•7253 Gas fitters
•7311 Construction millwrights and industrial mechanics
•7312 Heavy-duty equipment mechanics
•7313 Refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics
•7314 Railway carmen/women
•7315 Aircraft mechanics and aircraft inspectors
•7318 Elevator constructors and mechanics
•7371 Crane operators
•7372 Drillers and blasters - surface, mining, quarrying and construction
•7373 Water well drillers
•8231 Underground production and development miners
•8232 Oil and gas well drillers, servicers, testers and related workers
•9232 Petroleum, gas and chemical process operators
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:44 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply.

I know this may sound like a silly question.....but do I have to have a job or be on some list of prefered expertise for me to come to Canada?

We started thinking about Canada at the begining of the year and we are now really wanting to start the process.

I thought it would be fairly straight forward but I guess not?

I'm a little lost.
IceBoy
It's a very braod question as it dependds on what visa stream you intend to apply under. I would suggest you go to the tiop of the forum and have a browse of the wiki. Once your sure which route you want to take maybe ask a few drirect questions.

The thing to bear in mind is there is the IEC, PHD Stream, FSW, FSW2 CEC just to name a few
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:45 am

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes !

I just found the list below. I guess with me being a marketing professional and my wife a teacher we have no chance?

Group A – Jobs with sub-caps of 100 applications each (and their corresponding 2011 NOC code)
•7202 Contractors and supervisors, electrical trades and telecommunications occupations
•7204 Contractors and supervisors, carpentry trades
•7205 Contractors and supervisors, other construction trades, installers, repairers and servicers
•7271 Carpenters
•7301 Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades
•7302 Contractors and supervisors, heavy equipment operator crews
•8211 Supervisors, logging and forestry
•8221 Supervisors, mining and quarrying
•8222 Contractors and supervisors, oil and gas drilling services
•8241 Logging machinery operators
•8252 Agricultural service contractors, farm supervisors and specialized livestock workers
•9211 Supervisors, mineral and metal processing
•9212 Supervisors, petroleum, gas and chemical processing and utilities
•9214 Supervisors, plastic and rubber products manufacturing
•9231 Central control and process operators, mineral and metal processing
•9241 Power engineers and power systems operators
•9243 Water and waste treatment plant operators

Group B – no sub-caps (2011 NOC code)
•7231 Machinists and machining and tooling inspectors
•7233 Sheet metal workers
•7235 Structural metal and plate work fabricators and fitters
•7236 Ironworkers
•7237 Welders and related machine operators
•7241 Electricians (except industrial and power system)
•7242 Industrial electricians
•7243 Power system electricians
•7244 Electrical power line and cable workers
•7245 Telecommunications line and cable workers
•7246 Telecommunications installation and repair workers
•7251 Plumbers
•7252 Steamfitters, pipefitters and sprinkler system installers
•7253 Gas fitters
•7311 Construction millwrights and industrial mechanics
•7312 Heavy-duty equipment mechanics
•7313 Refrigeration and air conditioning mechanics
•7314 Railway carmen/women
•7315 Aircraft mechanics and aircraft inspectors
•7318 Elevator constructors and mechanics
•7371 Crane operators
•7372 Drillers and blasters - surface, mining, quarrying and construction
•7373 Water well drillers
•8231 Underground production and development miners
•8232 Oil and gas well drillers, servicers, testers and related workers
•9232 Petroleum, gas and chemical process operators
Thats the last list, it may well change and another route to consider is one of the provinces nomination routes and that depends on where in canada you would like to go.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, you do.

All of the criteria and info you need is on the CIC website, but I'll try and simplify it a bit - apologies if I'm 'teaching you to suck eggs though'!

At the moment, these are the only two ways you would qualify i.e. with a job offer approved by HRSDC or if you had done a PhD in Canada - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp That's two of the three FSW categories.

But in May, the other category will reopen (it's been on hold since last June). In the past, it's only been people with experience of certain jobs that qualify for that route (here is the last list of eligible occupations from 2010-2012 to give you an idea of what's been in demand in the past - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/THE_LIST-Canada)

It was anticipated, after a tweet from Jason Kenney last year, that 'the list' might be scrapped for this year's program and that anybody with at least 67 points and skilled work experience could apply. We were all surprised by that, but it seems that Mr Kenney changed his mind, and he's recently announced that there will be 'a list' after all, which will be announced in April.

So, put simply, if you don't come under one of the current two categories (job offer/Phd), or you don't have experience on the new list of eligible occupations, then you won't qualify regardless of the amount of points you score.

Does that make sense?

If you don't qualify, then don't forget that there are over 50 routes to a visa for Canada and that's just one of them, so look at other options. Grab a large cuppa, and read the Wiki and CIC websites from start to finish. Hopefully then you'll have a clear idea of your visa options and the best route for you.

HTH a bit, good luck.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:48 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I guess with me being a marketing professional and my wife a teacher we have no chance?

etc
That's actually the FST list, a different program.

But you mention your wife being a teacher, are you aware of how low her chances are of being able to continue teaching in Canada? It will take her quite a while to get accredited as a teacher (around 6 months seems to be the norm), but then she may well struggle to find a job for quite a while after that. I've only heard of teachers being needed in Manitoba, but of course, not everybody wants to go to Manitoba!

Have you read the Wiki article on teaching in Canada? http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Teaching_in_Canada
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:49 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Thats the last list, it may well change and another route to consider is one of the provinces nomination routes and that depends on where in canada you would like to go.
That is actually the Skilled Trades list - not Skilled Worker. We won't know what that one looks like until April 1st.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
That is actually the Skilled Trades list - not Skilled Worker. We won't know what that one looks like until April 1st.
Opss thanks for spotting the error there Amy
Old Mar 19th 2013, 3:36 am
Just Joined

Thanks christmasoompa and others.

I didn't realise there were 50 ways to qualify. I just assumed that as both my wife and I are graduates and professionals, that would be the route.

My brother married a Canadian and is currently living in the UK. He is going to apply for citizenship and I guess he could also sponsor me?

Not sure if this is a good route or not?

IceBoy

Big cuppa coffee and a lot of reading tonight!
Old Mar 19th 2013, 3:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

My brother married a Canadian and is currently living in the UK. He is going to apply for citizenship and I guess he could also sponsor me?
Afraid not, he can't sponsor siblings I'm afraid. Although if he could, he wouldn't actually need citizenship to do so, as PR's can sponsor too.

As an aside, depending on how long he's lived in the UK, he may not be eligible to apply for citizenship. He'd need to have lived in Canada for at least 3 years out of the previous 4 when applying, so something for him to bear in mind - if he's only recently moved back to the UK then he'll need to get his application in asap (and be prepared to fly back at very short notice for his test date and oath ceremony when it's finally processed in about 12-18 months time).

Enjoy the coffee and the reading!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Mar 19th 2013 at 3:42 am.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Conmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks christmasoompa and others.

I didn't realise there were 50 ways to qualify. I just assumed that as both my wife and I are graduates and professionals, that would be the route.

Not sure if this is a good route or not?

IceBoy

Big cuppa coffee and a lot of reading tonight!
And more stuff to read.
Christmasoompa already mentioned Manitoba, very good suggestion indeed. Perhaps Manitoba could really tempt you, your wife being a teacher.
We are moving to Winnipeg, Manitoba by the end of April, so feel free to ask.

Manitobain wrote in another thread ( http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784710:)

Originally Posted by manitobain
check out the MPNP..if Manitoba can tempt you

on their website www.immigratemanitoba.com there is a tool for working. Follow that tool ..type in teacher and it will bring you to assessment and such. I don't think it is that hard in MB to be allowed to teach..if I understand the rules right. But yes, starting as a sub might be all to get for now.

You might want to look up as well the Strategic Stream MB offers and see if you would fit under there...but again, only if you can see yourself being permanently in MB.

Last edited by Conmar; Mar 19th 2013 at 3:55 am. Reason: word order
Old Mar 19th 2013, 5:20 am
Just Joined

tony.flavian is an unknown quantity at this point

hi ice boy

thought of sharing the below with you, in the past i was interested to migrate to australia and i could remember that teaching is listed in their demand occupation list.

its worth exploring as a plan b if the distance and the other factors are not a problem to you . you may find lots of discussions in the Australian migration forum.