POINT SCORE

Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: POINT SCORE

Originally Posted by graham and george
hi all
need to gain 8 points to take me to the 67
i thought i was there when i included the 11 years with a three year diploma which would have given me 20 points.
I think people tried to answer this for you already. It looks doubtful that you will get to the 20 points for education. Only an approved immigration consultant will be able to tell for definite.
Old Jul 8th 2009, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by the blairs
I understand how you are confused - we are too !

Our question is what is classed as a diploma ? Amd what the heck does a NVQ/SVQ come under?? I also have a PDA which is equivelant to 1st year uni - what on earth do I take that as???

Is there somewhere we can find a table which would show where to pitch your qualifacations against the requirements for points?

the blairs
I think your PDA would count as another year in education (if it was full-time) - not sure if it would count as a diploma though. I would of thought an NVQ would be classed as a 'diploma or trade certificate'.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Alphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to beholdAlphawolf is a splendid one to behold

Hi Graham,

I have exactly the same situation and I'm just submitting my docs after the 120 day letter. I'm guessing your level 2 and 3 would be 2330 or 2360, in any case if an A'level is considered 2years full time then a level 3 city and guild is equivalent to an A level which should get you the points, its all so frustrating pal, believe me I know. Also the level 2 City and Guilds 2330 is equivalent to 2 years at college, the fact you only spend a day a week or 2 at the most is irrelevant as the whole course is made up of practical knowledge gained throughout the week to further reinforce the theory done at college so the whole package can be argued to be full time.
Thats the way I see it, hopefully I'll be right
Old Jul 9th 2009, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

As a tradesman we tried to get an answer to this question for ages. Nobody seems to know

One immigration consultant did tell us it gave us top whack for points school plus 4 years apprentice. However I think that guy just wanted our dosh he was going to charge $8000 to assess our application.

BTW that agent is no longer registered, so have my doubts about the info given anyway.

We miss out on skilled entry by a few points, so know where your at.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 12:55 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

hi
i gained a city and guilds qualification part 2 and 3
also in this time i gained a nvq level 3 as well.
hope this helps
It seems to me that the qualification you did will count as full-time if you were doing on-the-job training too. So day release is fine - that doesnt make it a part-time course, it's just a mix of work-based training and classroom study.

So if you did it for 3 years and you came out of it with a certificate (that normally takes 3 years to achieve) then you would have 14 years education total (11 at school from age 5 to 16 plus a 3 year apprenticeship) with a 3-year non-university qualification so 20 points.

The slightly confusing bit is that you seemed to do 2 different qualifications during that period. You can only claim points for the highest one. I would need to see the certificates to be certain but it sounds like 20 points to me.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia (from Scotland via Yorkshire and London)
Kaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of lightKaye5 is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to hijack the thread slightly, but there's been some discussion over many threads as to whether A levels do or do not count as post secondary diplomas. Mags1972 seems to imply that they do (apologies to you if I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick!) - perhaps Paul could give us a definite answer on this?

This is eg for a 2-year A level course resulting in 2 or 3 A levels taken at either school or college from age 16 - 18.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:35 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye5
Sorry to hijack the thread slightly, but there's been some discussion over many threads as to whether A levels do or do not count as post secondary diplomas. Mags1972 seems to imply that they do (apologies to you if I have got hold of the wrong end of the stick!) - perhaps Paul could give us a definite answer on this?

This is eg for a 2-year A level course resulting in 2 or 3 A levels taken at either school or college from age 16 - 18.
In most circumstances I would say "no" - A-Levels do NOT count as post-secondary education if they are taken simply as a continuation of school (i.e. from 16-18). On the other hand a vocational qualification such as NVQ will count as post-secondary education especially if it is taken at a vocational college rather than a secondary school.

Someone who finished school then worked and then went to an FE college later to do an A-Level might be able to count that as post-secondary.

Please keep in mind that none of this is written in legislation so it's all down to how the visa office interprets it on the day. There might be people who have got points for their A level somewhere but generally the answer is no - you should not expect to count them as post-secondary.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

Wow so an NVQ counts but A-levels don't, well that seems strange - glad I went on to Uni or I would be totally confused, as I did A-levels, C & G and BTecs post secondary school, oh and another GCSE.

I would have thought that the officer has clear guidelines of how to determine education points and that its not down to the luck of the draw but your a consultant and know more about this process than I will ever do.

They could do so many things to help people going though this process, like putting down education examples for the points but then maybe the current method scares off some people and keeps application numbers down.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 4:59 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

QUOTE=ga1lf;7740753]Wow so an NVQ counts but A-levels don't, well that seems strange - glad I went on to Uni or I would be totally confused, as I did A-levels, C & G and BTecs post secondary school, oh and another GCSE.

I would have thought that the officer has clear guidelines of how to determine education points and that its not down to the luck of the draw but your a consultant and know more about this process than I will ever do.

They could do so many things to help people going though this process, like putting down education examples for the points but then maybe the current method scares off some people and keeps application numbers down.[/QUOTE]

Here is how the federal court looked a claimed education not quite the same, but it gives you a general idea.

http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/200...2009fc518.html
Old Jul 10th 2009, 12:58 pm
Immigration Consultant

Originally Posted by ga1lf
Wow so an NVQ counts but A-levels don't, well that seems strange - glad I went on to Uni or I would be totally confused, as I did A-levels, C & G and BTecs post secondary school, oh and another GCSE.

They could do so many things to help people going though this process, like putting down education examples for the points but then maybe the current method scares off some people and keeps application numbers down.
The key difference between an NVQ and A levels is that you get a vocational cetificate whereas A Levels are really a continuation of schooling in most circumstances. An NVQ would typically be done at an FE college instead of school.

The trouble with the point score system is that it has to be the same for all countries of the world so its really impossible to provide detailed guidelines on which types of certificates qualify for each country. Unfortunately different people with exactly the same sets of circumstances do get different decisions. It would be great if there was total consistency but there isn't.
Old Jul 10th 2009, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

ga1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nicega1lf is just really nice

I am sorry but I just think it is more confusing than it needs to be.... but maybe it is intended. Every country has a set of educational standards that people can qualify to, so A-levels may not mean anything to some countries but Higher Educational Diploma's do. If there is an office in that country, then surely there should be rules on educational equivalents... or maybe I am thinking too much in general terms.

Please don't take offence, these are just my random thoughts.
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

hi all
thats good news then i have the 8 point i need
my day release was over the 3 years,but at that same time was doing a nvq level 3 which ran along for the last 2 years.
do i still get the 20 points?
Old Jul 11th 2009, 7:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

hi all
thats good news then i have the 8 point i need
my day release was over the 3 years,but at that same time was doing a nvq level 3 which ran along for the last 2 years.
do i still get the 20 points?
I think what Paul needs to know is what you were doing the other 4 days of the working week i.e. were you doing on the job training as he mentioned, or something else not related to your course?

Hopefully then he should be able to give you a definitive answer.

Old Jul 11th 2009, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

graham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nicegraham and george is just really nice

hi chris
it was work based,as was my nvq as you have to show a portfolio for the jobs you complete.these jobs have to be signed off by my duty manager. a site visit is also carried out by the nvq assessor