POE Work Visa?!

Old Nov 16th 2014, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Dobber123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default POE Work Visa?!

Hi all,

Firstly I'm aware of the changes coming in January with Express Entry, however this is a question of something I'd love to do, but probably wont.

I work in the technical/production side of theatre/tv/film production back in the UK so as far as I am aware, this may be exempt from a LMI.

If I were to travel from the UK with all the required documents how would one go about applying for the visa at the border? (By air obviously).

I landed in Toronto a few weeks ago to connect to a US flight, however was admitted without hassle into Canada in order to do so - I was unaware of 'where' I would make such a declaration. I am now home in the UK having flown back from the US.

At this time I have no job offer, only possible jobs with which I need to visit Canada for an interview.

I would far rather apply when in Canada, rather than at the border. Would it be a case of attending an office and applying? If so, would I have to remain in the country until such time I am granted the visa? (In a hotel obviously!) How long would such a procedure take?

If applying at the airport what would be the procedure? (I would be without job at this point, only a speculative offer in place having not attended the interview yet).

I will be traveling to Canada again in January to travel onward to the US - however my intent is to spend a week in Canada seeking out work possibilities, then travel to the US then return home (Or return to Canada if the above has any hope of success!)

I have £20,000 of savings, a HNC in theatre production, HGV/PCV licence amongst the main things going my way (If these help at all!)

Many thanks!

Last edited by Dobber123; Nov 16th 2014 at 9:40 am.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POE Work Visa?!

This link will give you a basic idea of who is exempt the LMIA old LMO.
See if you need a Labour Market Impact Assessment

Basically if you are seeking employment that requires an LMIA you must have all the documentation required including a positive LMIA before you make an application for a work permit.
You can certainly look and apply for jobs while in Canada as a visitor but this process takes time and depending on how long you enter for you might have to return to the UK.
You also run the risk of being denied entry by CBSA for non compliance with the Act especially if no return ticket and you don't fully disclose your intentions when entering. I have seen too many do this and end up being refused.
With processing times going on up to 4 months and longer for the LMIAs my suggestion is get a return ticket and enter as a visitor with dual intent mentioning you are also being interviewed for several jobs.
You can't just turn up and enter Canada and start looking and applying for jobs and stay until you find one as this is your primary intention and you do not hold the documentation required to apply for a work permit if not LMIA exempt and therefore in non compliance with the Act.
Be very careful how you approach this.
What makes you think you will be LMIA exempt.
What is your job title?
Old Nov 16th 2014, 10:21 am
Just Joined

Wonderful, thank you.

I wouldn't say it would be my intention to go without a return ticket - I would only really stay in the country if I was offered a job on the spot and indeed it was possible to sort everything at POE.

My job could fall into several titles - Essentially I am a project manager for productions (Theatre, TV) and live events (Concerts etc.) I deal with the logistics and planning as well as the physical hands on.

However depending on what mood I am in I could be considered a technician (electrical).

The 'See if you need a LMIA' portion of the website is rather confusing - I would certainly consider myself to be a professional in the way that a member of the public would be unable to carryout my role without extensive experience.
Old Nov 16th 2014, 10:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Chances are your NOC code would be 0512. This occupation is not on the list of eligible occupations on the FSW list without a job offer.
Determine your eligibility – Federal skilled workers

If you got a job offer then you could apply under the FSW but that will be replaced by the Express Entry in Jan 2015.

In the quick search of this link enter in your job title and it will give you the 4 digit NOC code.
Welcome to the National Occupational Classification 2011

This is a list of FSW eligible occupations
Applications we will accept – Federal skilled workers

Basic overview of the FSW
Determine your eligibility – Federal skilled workers
Old Nov 16th 2014, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Would you say it perhaps best to wait until January for the new EE system?

I am doing a little research on it and my understanding is the LMIA will become redundant and it will just be a case of get an offer and apply with that? Or would the employer then have to search the database to find and invite me?
Old Nov 16th 2014, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dobber123
Would you say it perhaps best to wait until January for the new EE system?

I am doing a little research on it and my understanding is the LMIA will become redundant and it will just be a case of get an offer and apply with that? Or would the employer then have to search the database to find and invite me?
LMIAs will still be required for certain jobs where Express Entry isn't applicable.
If applying under the FSW you have just over 7 weeks to submit an application and you have no job offer at the moment.
IMHO wait until more is known about Express Entry and how it will actually work.
CIC have released very little on how the EE will actually work once implemented.