Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

POE TWP... will we make our connection?

POE TWP... will we make our connection?

Old Nov 22nd 2011, 8:53 am
Just Joined

jenintheden is an unknown quantity at this point
Default POE TWP... will we make our connection?

We appear to have made a slight planning error...

My partner and I are going to apply for TWP and SOWP at POE.

We've already booked our flights, transiting through Toronto on the way to Vancouver.

What we didn't realise is that we have to apply for the work permits '9and do any goods declarations) on our first stop in Toronto (this is right, isn't it?).

We arrive at 21.05 in Toronto and fly again at 22.55.

Will this be enough time or are we going to miss the connection? Should we try to change the flights, or take our chances? (it's the last flight of the day as well, so if we miss it, we'd have to wait until the morning).

Any thoughts...?
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 2:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: POE TWP... will we make our connection?

Too many variables to give you an answer but it COULD be done providing

1. Your flight is early or on time into Toronto.
2. There is no line up at both Customs & Immigration
3. You have all your paperwork in order
4 All your bags arrive
5. You have to collect your bags then recheck in and go through security.
6. Do you have to change terminals.
7. How many flights have just arrived in front of yours?

Leaving only 2 hours between connecting flights and clearing Customs is pushing it.
My obvious question is why no direct flight to Vancouver??? Why transit Canadas busiest airport?
Personally I would get a morning flight from TO pay the extra to change the flight from TO to Vancouver rather than missing it then having to pay for another flight.
Your call good luck.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

The 2 hour connection time is exactly the reason we didn't go through Toronto. When we arrived in Winnipeg via the US our TWP application was dealt with straight away, no queue. It still took a good 20+ minutes.
I agree with Former Lancastrian, consider your options. I doubt you will need the stress of a missed connection.
All the best.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 2:49 pm
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

I would try to change flights. It took us 2 hours from landing at Calgary to clear customs, apply for work permits and collect baggage and actually leave the airport (there were 2 adults and 3 kids) and the lines were not really that long.

Stressful times. Good Luck!
Old May 26th 2012, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

daiske is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
We are going to buy our flights to Winnipeg via Toronto. We thought that we would be applying for the TWP in Winnipeg and then I came across this thread.
Is it 100% sure that the TWP will be issued on our first stop in Canada (Toronto)?
Will we have to pick up our luggage in Toronto and do the check in again?
Thank you.
Old May 26th 2012, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daiske
Hi all,
We are going to buy our flights to Winnipeg via Toronto. We thought that we would be applying for the TWP in Winnipeg and then I came across this thread.
Is it 100% sure that the TWP will be issued on our first stop in Canada (Toronto)?
Will we have to pick up our luggage in Toronto and do the check in again?
Thank you.
TWP will be issued in Toronto unless they have to defer the exam for other reasons and a connecting flight is not one of those reasons.
Luggage has to be collected in TO then rechecked once clearing Customs.
Have you thought of flying via Chicago or Minneapolis to Winnipeg and avoiding Toronto?
Old May 26th 2012, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

daiske is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Former Lancastrian.
We were considering going through Chicago, but my partner needs a visa (C-1?) to travel to the USA and we want to avoid all the hassle.
Old May 26th 2012, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowcandy
I would try to change flights. It took us 2 hours from landing at Calgary to clear customs, apply for work permits and collect baggage and actually leave the airport (there were 2 adults and 3 kids) and the lines were not really that long.

Stressful times. Good Luck!
+1. We did the same in Calgary. Took us 2 hours. You don't need the extra stress