British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   PNP V IMMIGRATION (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/pnp-v-immigration-489155/)

LYNSEYTS2000URNER Oct 23rd 2007 11:14 pm

PNP V IMMIGRATION

Why do people go down the immigration route when it seems on here so easy to get a pnp, why wait years when you only after wait weeks, and your whole family can come to? Am i missing something ??

regards Lynsey:confused:

Jim Humphries Oct 23rd 2007 11:20 pm

Re: PNP V IMMIGRATION

By and large you would need a job offer in one of the provinces offering PNP in order to qualify. Some provinces give weight to relatives settled there too.

Andrew Miller Oct 24th 2007 1:41 am

Also note that PNP is just a step in immigration process. If you want to move permanently to Canada and become PR then you still need to go through PR (immigration) visa process, although with PNP it will be faster.

Judy in Calgary Oct 24th 2007 5:14 am

Originally Posted by LYNSEYTS2000URNER
Why do people go down the immigration route

During the two and a half years that I've belonged to this forum, the waiting time for a permanent residence (PR) visa via the skilled worker (SW) route has increased substantially. People who already were at an advanced stage of the SW-PR application process when I joined the forum, those who could see the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak, just bit the bullet and waited till their PR visas came through.

But there have been relatively few new forum members who have gone the standard SW-PR route. As far as I've been able to tell, people are doing that only as an absolute last resort, when they've explored and exhausted all other possibilities.

Most people try to come over on PNP or else they come over on a temporary work permit (WP) and then secure a job offer that gains them an Arranged Employment Opinion (AEO), and that in turn speeds up their application for PR.

when it seems on here so easy to get a pnp
It is not necessarily as easy to get PNP as you seem to think it is. You have to have some attribute (a certain skill set or some other quality) that is in short supply in a given province. There are members of this forum who have looked at every possible angle, and they simply have not been able to qualify for PNP or a WP. And I'm talking about people with university degrees.

why wait years when you only after wait weeks
Since I've been a member of this forum, I have seen some PNP applicants and some WP applicants getting into Canada within weeks. But, in many cases, it has taken months and months. There are some members of this forum who applied for work permits in April 2007 (and they belonged to occupations under pressure, a category that was supposed to fast track their applications), and they're still not in Canada.

iaink Oct 24th 2007 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by LYNSEYTS2000URNER (Post 5459749)
Why do people go down the immigration route when it seems on here so easy to get a pnp, why wait years when you only after wait weeks, and your whole family can come to? Am i missing something ??

regards Lynsey:confused:

PNP is the route of choice for many, but there are a few reasons other people still slog through the regular federal skilled worker route.

A: There is no large scale PNP for Ontario yet, and Ontario is still the #1 destination for immigrants

B: There are finite numbers of PNP places

C: Some people never do find a job before they arrive in Canada

D: PNPs do not cover all occupations

Andrew Miller Oct 24th 2007 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by iaink (Post 5462673)
B: There are finite numbers of PNP places

This is the most important fact about PNP's. Most PNP's have annual quota of only couple hundred certificates and they are usually gone early... The total number of available per year PNP's (in all participating Provinces, except Quebec) is only about 4,000. So, it is less drop in the bucket...

Paul Wildy Oct 24th 2007 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller (Post 5463057)
This is the most important fact about PNP's. Most PNP's have annual quota of only couple hundred certificates and they are usually gone early... The total number of available per year PNP's (in all participating Provinces, except Quebec) is only about 4,000. So, it is less drop in the bucket...

Except for Nova Scotia. based on a new agreement with CIC (see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2007-09-19.asp) the Nova Scotia PNP now has no cap on the number of applicants they can nominate each year.

As far as I'm aware NS is the only province to have securred this arrangement.

peachgary Oct 24th 2007 6:46 pm

well I'm doing both...........

I applied for PR about 15 months ago and just scraped through on points which makes me feel uneasy about the out come as i have read that points can go up or down.

So i have gone down finding the job route LMO/WP but I'm not sure what my best option after that, PNP or updating my PR application but you could say
i have options as my trade is in the NOC'S

Halifax harpie Oct 24th 2007 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by NSpaul (Post 5463102)
Except for Nova Scotia. based on a new agreement with CIC (see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2007-09-19.asp) the Nova Scotia PNP now has no cap on the number of applicants they can nominate each year.

As far as I'm aware NS is the only province to have securred this arrangement.

Have you seen this article in newspaper about PNP in Nova Scotia?
Immigrants Demand their money back
http://www.hfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=73975&sc=89

Paul Wildy Oct 24th 2007 8:26 pm

I hadn't seen the article but I always thought that program was a disgrace. They were basically charging people $128k each in total to become provincial nominees. It was described as an "investment in the Nova Scotia economy". The Immigration office was wise to abandon the program when they did as it was bound to blow up eventually. I'm not at all suprised people are asking for their money back.