Wikiposts

PNP quick qestions

Old Aug 30th 2007, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice
Default PNP quick qestions

Sorry if this has been asked before, i did a quick search and couldnt find quite what i was looking for.

I was wondering more specifics about the PNP programme. Could someone clarify for me:

1.If someone is to get offered a job on the PNP programme and start work, for how long does it take to acctually gain permanent resident status?
2. Do you have to stay in the same job/field of work, that nominated you. What if you facy a complete carrer change?
3. Do you have to stay in the nominated province? what if you wanted to move around abit...

These are the only things i really need to know, thanks!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

smithjm will become famous soon enough
Default Re: PNP quick qestions

An employer needs to apply for PNP for the province that they are in. If they get accepted onto the PNP programme because their vacancies are 'in demand' for that province, then you can apply to the PNP office for that province for a PNP place.
Once you receive your PNP, you then apply for PR under the PNP to the relevant CHC.
If successful, you are granted PR status.
You would need to stay within the province and job that you successfully applied for PNP under for a period (I do not know how long as I dont intend changing jobs or moving) otherwise the province would gain you PR status and then in the next breath lose your skills that they wanted in the first place.
Look at the website for the respective PNP in the province you intend to apply to for more details.

Jay
Old Aug 31st 2007, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

So your not sure how long it takes, once your on PNP, to get permanent residence status?
Old Aug 31st 2007, 3:41 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CurtNIR
So your not sure how long it takes, once your on PNP, to get permanent residence status?
From reading posts on this forum, I gather the entire PNP process takes about a year (give or take).

Another thing I've read on this forum is that, once a person reaches a certain point in the PNP process, they can enter Canada on a temporary work permit. Then they can live and work in Canada while the rest of the PNP process is working its way through the bureaucratic pipeline, so to speak.

But, as smithjm said, you need to study the provisions of the Nominee Program of the specific province you're interested in, as the PNPs are different from each other.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

So from a bit of reading each provinces PNP programme, i see that some say they only accept applicants wanting to reside soley in that part of canada. New Brunswick even says if you break this rule you can get up to a 2 year ban from Canada
This is fine if you want to stay there ofcourse.

Im more interested in the changing of jobs after a few years.
Still cant find any info on that...
Old Aug 31st 2007, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

We've just been accepted by BC PNP, so can only speak from my experience in BC.

Time wise, they say that you should have PR within a year on being nominated, although of course it depends a lot on how organised you are in getting all your paperwork together to send of to which ever visa office is processing your PR once you've been nomiated, eg, UK criminal record checks, university transcripts etc.

We've got work permits for the interium period of between being accepted by BC PNP and getting PR.

So far, it seems that we will be tied to BC with the Work Permit, but once PR is through there are no limitations or clauses. So we could quit engineering in BC and become ski bums in Alberta for example!!!

That said, we still haven't got PR so there might be some clause in that paperwork that we don't know about yet. And of course we have no intention of leaving 'Beautiful BC' - we would become ski bums in Whistler!!
Old Aug 31st 2007, 7:26 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

So from a bit of reading each provinces PNP programme, i see that some say they only accept applicants wanting to reside soley in that part of canada. New Brunswick even says if you break this rule you can get up to a 2 year ban from Canada
This is fine if you want to stay there ofcourse.
that's why it is called provincial nomination, isn't it? the province sets the level. and if nb decides to get every nominee through a misrepresentation case (afaik then you get the 2 years ban for canada) if the economy slows down, the nominee gets laid off and looks for work in ontario... their choice.

Im more interested in the changing of jobs after a few years.
Still cant find any info on that...
imo it's quite a difference if you change jobs and/or employer after a few years or as soon as you get pr. i'd say the former is absolutely legitimate - and in a way once you get canadian citizenship there aren't any restrictions anymore anyway - at least afaik ) but... we had a discussion about the later here a while ago. your prospective employer goes through quite a bit of paperwork and expenses for the provincial stuff. and i'd say it's not more than fair if you do your part of the equation and work with them for at least a certain time (and be aware that it might backfire very fast if you decide to p*** off your employer - canadian employers are networking as well).

i'm a bcpnp - like live to ski already working here - and made the job-commitment for a year once i get pr.

accordig to their website it takes about 5 to 8 weeks for bc nomination and you find the statistics about the federal time lines here
Old Aug 31st 2007, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks, and yes that is why it would be called provincial nomination..What i meant was that some of the official provincial website makes it very clear, where others dont.
BTW im not looking for an easy way out here, or in as it would be lol, im just looking at my overall options to get me where i want in life. And which would best suit me.
No harm in askin, someones got to.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 10:28 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

no pun intended - just tried to clarify. i probably read to many posts in that direction... sorry, if i was harsh.

i think some provinces like nb kind of "need" to put some hurdles up. on, ab and bc get not only most immigrants to fill part of their labour shortages but even the canadians tend to move where the bucks are. so it's understandably that the other provinces which make the commitment to nominate somebody try to keep them there as long as possible. because it's kind of a bigger step for them.

btw about one and a half years ago, when i started to look into pnp, i didn't get that many clear answers to all my questions from the bcpnp-website. ie about time lines or the twp while waiting for pr (which you find in the faq-section now). there has been quite a bit of improvement there last summer.