PNP PR Expiring TWP

Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

keelan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PNP PR Expiring TWP

Hello,

I have been on work permits via LMO's since 2010 (2009 open permit), in this time i have been put forward as a provincial nominee.

My current situation is:

I have applied for PR, i received a medical request yesterday and i have it tomorrow morning.

Now in January (2014) my current work permit (LMO) expires.

I am presuming i will need to extend this, i started the process on MyCIC. Because i have applied to PR and have a provincial nominee certificate (PNC) i wont need a LMO?

Because i have had (or will have) more than 4 years in total on work permits, am i entitled to extend my current one?

Thank you.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PNP PR Expiring TWP

Exceptions
When you work in one of the occupations or categories listed below, the time you work in Canada is still counted toward your four-year maximum.

It is only when you apply for a work permit that these exceptions become relevant. An officer may issue a work permit to you if you have a job offer in one of these occupations/categories, even if you have already worked in Canada for four years.

These categories or occupations are the exceptions for which a work permit can exceed the four-year limit:

NOC O and A (including spouses/dependants of these skilled temporary foreign workers)
LMO-exempt jobs under
International agreements
Canadian interests
Self-support
Humanitarian reasons
Jobs that do not need a work permit
Permanent resident applicants who have received a positive selection decision or approval in principle
Provincial nominees applying for an employer-specific work permit
Any work done while studying in Canada on a full-time basis does not count toward your four-year maximum.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/ap...aximum.asp?s=2
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Exceptions
Provincial nominees applying for an employer-specific work permit
Ooo confusing, they never make these things simple.

My current work permit is an LMO is specific to an employer and i have only worked for them since i got here and i have offer of employment from them to continue to work for them.

Im NOC B so thats out of the question.

And because i haven't received PR approval yet then that doesn't apply to me either.

Hmm This maybe a problem.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you were a Provincial Nominee???
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
I thought you were a Provincial Nominee???
I am, i applied for PR via PNP.

But on MyCIC it doesn't specify to extend with a specific employer, it just asks if you have an employment offer and if you have a PN Certificate. I will just add this into the "letter" section and explain that i wish for my current employer specific TWP to be extended.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

when we got the PNP letter of acceptance we went to the border and got a TWP, we then applied for PR. In case the TWP would have expired we could have asked for a new letter to get a new TWP at the border. We got it done in less than the 4 years so not sure how that affects you. Just thought the exemption: Provincial Nominee applying for employer specific work permit might apply for you?

FL ???
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

He could call the ever so helpful CIC call centre at 1 888 242 2100 and ask for information. Cant help any further as this is CICs baby not CBSAs
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
when we got the PNP letter of acceptance we went to the border and got a TWP, we then applied for PR. In case the TWP would have expired we could have asked for a new letter to get a new TWP at the border. We got it done in less than the 4 years so not sure how that affects you. Just thought the exemption: Provincial Nominee applying for employer specific work permit might apply for you?

FL ???
Yes i think you are correct, i understand i have flag poled before too. But with a while left on this visa i am happy to apply online and continue on.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
He could call the ever so helpful CIC call centre at 1 888 242 2100 and ask for information. Cant help any further as this is CICs baby not CBSAs
It is always nice to get a little understand. Because i have had good experiences and help here before so i thought i would ask. There always seems to be one person in the same boat somewhere. I did call them too as you advised, i was put into a queue that after a while promptly told me no agents were available and then it ended the call.

Thank you for your help.

Last edited by keelan; Oct 2nd 2013 at 3:45 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:35 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

You can either get a letter of support from your Province to enable you to get a new work permit (no LMO requirement) or you can apply online for a bridging open work permit with up to 4 months left on your current WP.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/pe.../permanent.asp

Qualifying applicants currently in Canada who have submitted an application for permanent residence under the Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), Canadian Experience Class (CEC), Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) or the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) may be considered for an open work permit if their current work permit will soon expire.

To be eligible for a bridging open work permit, you must:

Currently be in Canada;
Have valid status on a work permit that is due to expire within 4 months;
Have received confirmation from CIC that your permanent resident application is eligible under one of the four economic classes (FSWP, CEC, PNP and FSTP), and;
Have made an application for an open work permit.

Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
You can either get a letter of support from your Province to enable you to get a new work permit (no LMO requirement) or you can apply online for a bridging open work permit with up to 4 months left on your current WP.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/pe.../permanent.asp

Ah ok, this is exactly what i did. Then it asks for employer offer, PNC, qualifications, photo, application form, passport and a letter of explanation. Which i have filled out and am ready to submit.

Thank you.