Wikiposts

PNP/PR Advice

Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

Josey836 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PNP/PR Advice

I am an expat & a Canadian citizen. My English partner has been here for the past 2 1/2 years and originally came over on a TWP and applied for PR under the PNP in June of this year.

During a company "upheaval" a few weeks ago, he was made redundant from his managerial role and offered a position as a tradesman (he is qualified for this) which he accepted, albeit on a much lower wage.

Having giving this a lot of consideration, we think we should notify CIC but are concerned that it will affect his application, along with his employment and his status in Canada. However, we do not want to jeopardize anything regarding immigration.

Any advice would be welcome as we are extremely concerned about all this, along with the way he seems to have been treated.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:26 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PNP/PR Advice

Originally Posted by Josey836
I am an expat & a Canadian citizen. My English partner has been here for the past 2 1/2 years and originally came over on a TWP and applied for PR under the PNP in June of this year.

During a company "upheaval" a few weeks ago, he was made redundant from his managerial role and offered a position as a tradesman (he is qualified for this) which he accepted, albeit on a much lower wage.

Having giving this a lot of consideration, we think we should notify CIC but are concerned that it will affect his application, along with his employment and his status in Canada. However, we do not want to jeopardize anything regarding immigration.

Any advice would be welcome as we are extremely concerned about all this, along with the way he seems to have been treated.
How far along is he in the PR process and which PNP has he applied under and under which stream?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Have not heard anything about PR although we know it was received early July cos we registered the mail. Iits Ontario provincial nominee and economic stream.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:37 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Have not heard anything about PR although we know it was received early July cos we registered the mail. Iits Ontario provincial nominee and economic stream.
You will have to notify them. Why do you not sponsor him?
Old Dec 20th 2010, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

Wasnt sure what the fastest way would be. At the time it seemed if he got approved with PNP that was a fast track according to what we researched . Why do you think we should apply spousal way too?
Thanks.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Wasnt sure what the fastest way would be. At the time it seemed if he got approved with PNP that was a fast track according to what we researched . Why do you think we should apply spousal way too?
Thanks.
I think AmyDavid was just wondering why you didn't sponsor him for PR in the first place, as it would only have taken 3 months or so.

If he's doing a different job to the one on his TWP/LMO, then are you sure his TWP is even valid? I thought it was tied to the one job and you couldn't do anything else, even in the same company?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 20th 2010 at 8:51 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I think AmyDavid was just wondering why you didn't sponsor him for PR in the first place, as it would only have taken 3 months or so.

If he's doing a different job to the one on his TWP/LMO, then are you sure his TWP is even valid? I thought it was tied to the one job and you couldn't do anything else, even in the same company?

That is true - if his TWP is a normal TWP (ie not a bunac) then it will no longer be valid. He will need to stop working and either have the company apply for a new LMO for his new position or apply for a visitor visa and stop working altogether, whilst you apply for Sponsorship of him.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

That's what we have been thinking and were a bit afraid of....

We wouldn't think the company would go through the LMO process, and anyway if they did, doubt they would get one for a carpenter.

So this means that the PNP application will now be invalid?

He has been headhunted by another company but they have got bogged down in the LMO process - I guess this could be the light at the end of the tunnel?

Thanks for your replies
Old Dec 20th 2010, 10:16 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If his TWP is now invalid as Amy and I suspect, then make sure he stops work immediately. You don't want him working illegally and jeopardising his PR application.

You can either hope that somebody applies for a LMO for him, or just apply to sponsor him yourself, both will probably take about the same amount of time anyway.

Good luck.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks - we don't want to do anything to jeopardize the PR.

From what we have read, it seems he can stay here anyway on his TWP until it expires (Jan 2012)?

It's a big shame that the PNP has to be cancelled at this point and all the money and time wasted. His "demotion" was through no fault of his own, just that he fell out of favour with one of bosses - almost constructive dismissal!

I guess he will need to call CIC before resigning or would it be better afterwards?

Once again, thanks for all your advice in these trying times.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 12:34 am

Thanks - we don't want to do anything to jeopardize the PR.

From what we have read, it seems he can stay here anyway on his TWP until it expires (Jan 2012)?

It's a big shame that the PNP has to be cancelled at this point and all the money and time wasted. His "demotion" was through no fault of his own, just that he fell out of favour with one of bosses - almost constructive dismissal!

I guess he will need to call CIC before resigning or would it be better afterwards?

Once again, thanks for all your advice in these trying times.
I know that if YOU leave your job - then the TWP reverts to a Visitor Visa - I would assume it would be the same if you were laid off as well, though I am not 100% sure on this point.

Give the call centre a call and see what they say.

Good luck