Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PNP nomination: Suggestion URGENT!!!!!!

PNP nomination: Suggestion URGENT!!!!!!

Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

NSNP_CI will become famous soon enough
Question PNP nomination: Suggestion URGENT!!!!!!

I received nomination under NS PNP. Though originally from Nepal, I am in the US for some years under student visa. I had applied for NS PNP from US as well. I was expecting Buffalo (or any other places in the US) as my visa office. But on the nomination letter my visa office is designated as New Delhi (India, because Nepal doesn't have Canadian visa office).I talked to an immigration officer in Halifax about it and he told me to write them an email regarding this. According to him, they can change it. I informed them about it and now I am waiting their next letter (hopefully). But my case is a little bit different. My wife and kids are in Nepal. After my request, if they designate the visa office in Buffalo and in case they call me for interview, do my family (wife and kids who are in Nepal) need to be present for the interview? If it is that my family also need to be present for the interview in Buffalo (or whereever in US), it will again create a problem because its very hard to get visa for my family to visit US (just for interview).I am looking for your valued suggestion because I am in dilemma at the time of sending my application for PR visa. Thanks
Old Jan 28th 2009, 4:50 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PNP nomination: Suggestion URGENT!!!!!!

Originally Posted by NSNP_CI
I received nomination under NS PNP. Though originally from Nepal, I am in the US for some years under student visa. I had applied for NS PNP from US as well. I was expecting Buffalo (or any other places in the US) as my visa office. But on the nomination letter my visa office is designated as New Delhi (India, because Nepal doesn't have Canadian visa office).I talked to an immigration officer in Halifax about it and he told me to write them an email regarding this. According to him, they can change it. I informed them about it and now I am waiting their next letter (hopefully). But my case is a little bit different. My wife and kids are in Nepal. After my request, if they designate the visa office in Buffalo and in case they call me for interview, do my family (wife and kids who are in Nepal) need to be present for the interview? If it is that my family also need to be present for the interview in Buffalo (or whereever in US), it will again create a problem because its very hard to get visa for my family to visit US (just for interview).I am looking for your valued suggestion because I am in dilemma at the time of sending my application for PR visa. Thanks
If you have been legally residing in the US for more than a year then you should be allowed to choose. However its possible that the NS Office of Immigration has overlooked this or that their standard letters arent geared up to show you a choice of visa offices. Also they have to send the nomination certificate somewhere and are basically informing you that they are planning on sending it to New Delhi.

But if you choose to apply to Buffalo you should be able to tell them this and request that the nomination certificate is sent there instead.

Your decision should be based on the potential inconvenience regarding interviews (note that its not necesarilly the case that you will be required to attend an interview) PLUS the processing times. If you think your application will be processed substantially quicker in Buffalo you might want to overlook the inconvenience aspect.

Edited to add:

If there is an interview it would likely include both you and your wife as a minimum. Though it partly depends on why the interview is being requested if it is to evaluate the genuineness of your marraige (since you are currently living apart) etc then almost certainly your wife would need to be present.

Note also that even if you request Buffalo as the visa office there is the possibility they may transfer the file to New Delhi anyway if they believe this will "enhance program integrity" (in other words if they think the New Delhi office will be able to do a better job of background checks etc for Nepal.

Last edited by Paul Wildy; Jan 28th 2009 at 4:58 am.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:43 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by NSpaul
If you have been legally residing in the US for more than a year then you should be allowed to choose. However its possible that the NS Office of Immigration has overlooked this or that their standard letters arent geared up to show you a choice of visa offices. Also they have to send the nomination certificate somewhere and are basically informing you that they are planning on sending it to New Delhi.

But if you choose to apply to Buffalo you should be able to tell them this and request that the nomination certificate is sent there instead.

Your decision should be based on the potential inconvenience regarding interviews (note that its not necesarilly the case that you will be required to attend an interview) PLUS the processing times. If you think your application will be processed substantially quicker in Buffalo you might want to overlook the inconvenience aspect.

Edited to add:

If there is an interview it would likely include both you and your wife as a minimum. Though it partly depends on why the interview is being requested if it is to evaluate the genuineness of your marraige (since you are currently living apart) etc then almost certainly your wife would need to be present.

Note also that even if you request Buffalo as the visa office there is the possibility they may transfer the file to New Delhi anyway if they believe this will "enhance program integrity" (in other words if they think the New Delhi office will be able to do a better job of background checks etc for Nepal.
One correction the OP had to be ADMITTED to the US for 1 year or more, not reside in the US for 1 year to apply to Buffalo. If the OP was only admitted for, lets say 6 months, and then got an extension, then he could not apply to Buffalo.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 5:55 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

One correction the OP had to be ADMITTED to the US for 1 year or more, not reside in the US for 1 year to apply to Buffalo. If the OP was only admitted for, lets say 6 months, and then got an extension, then he could not apply to Buffalo.
Yes I realise that but the OP had already said he was residing in the US for several years on a student visa. Unlikely therefore that it was based on a long string of sub one year renewals (though its possible I suppose).
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Thumbs up Re: PNP nomination: Suggestion URGENT!!!!!!

Originally Posted by NSpaul

Edited to add:

Thank you NS Paul for your practical and insightful suggestion.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

First I got admitted in the USA on student visa in December 2005 and went back to Nepal in December 2007 for 1 month. Again admitted to US in January 14, 2008 and staying continuously since then. I guess I am eligible to apply at Buffalo???