Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PNP Nomination Accepted ... A few questions to the Experts!!!

Old Jan 20th 2010, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

Kobus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PNP Nomination Accepted ... A few questions to the Experts!!!

My wife and I hail from Namibia (one of the visa exempt countries) and have been working in Canada for 3 months now. We were just accepted on the PNP program and will be applying for our PR on the strength of our nominations. Could you guys please help with the following info?

We applied for our work permits at the Canadian High Commission in Johannesburg, South Africa and went through the normal medicals etc until the work permits was issued. We had to hand in recent original police clearance certificates and left South Africa for Canada about 2 weeks after the police clearances was received and sent to the Canadian High Commission.

1. As we left our country straight after we received the police clearances and had no time to commit any crimes there (lol), will CIC require new police clearances when we apply for our PR through the PNP program (the police clearances are just over 3 months old)? Any person with brains will obviously realise that no crime could have been committed if you were no longer in that country, or is this wishful thinking on my part?

2. When we applied for our work permits in South Africa I assume that all security and background checks were done before our work permits was approved. Is this correct?

3. Will CIC do the same checks again when we now apply for our PR? If yes, do you guys know why they will do it again? (I can just imagine what my previous employer will think doing a reference twice for the Canadian High Commission)

Hope to hear from you all soon.

Kindest regards,

Kobus

Last edited by Kobus; Jan 20th 2010 at 2:13 pm. Reason: To change the heading
Old Jan 20th 2010, 10:31 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PNP Nomination Accepted ... A few questions to the Experts!!!

Hi

Originally Posted by Kobus

My wife and I hail from Namibia (one of the visa exempt countries) and have been working in Canada for 3 months now. We were just accepted on the PNP program and will be applying for our PR on the strength of our nominations. Could you guys please help with the following info?

We applied for our work permits at the Canadian High Commission in Johannesburg, South Africa and went through the normal medicals etc until the work permits was issued. We had to hand in recent original police clearance certificates and left South Africa for Canada about 2 weeks after the police clearances was received and sent to the Canadian High Commission.

1. As we left our country straight after we received the police clearances and had no time to commit any crimes there (lol), will CIC require new police clearances when we apply for our PR through the PNP program (the police clearances are just over 3 months old)? Any person with brains will obviously realise that no crime could have been committed if you were no longer in that country, or is this wishful thinking on my part?

2. When we applied for our work permits in South Africa I assume that all security and background checks were done before our work permits was approved. Is this correct?

3. Will CIC do the same checks again when we now apply for our PR? If yes, do you guys know why they will do it again? (I can just imagine what my previous employer will think doing a reference twice for the Canadian High Commission)

Hope to hear from you all soon.

Kindest regards,

Kobus

1, You will require new police certificates.
2. No, they did a cursory background check, your PR application will have a full background check done. Mostly criminality and security.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 12:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1, You will require new police certificates.
2. No, they did a cursory background check, your PR application will have a full background check done. Mostly criminality and security.
Thanks PMM.

Could you please explain what a cursory background check entails/mean?
Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:47 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Kobus
Thanks PMM.

Could you please explain what a cursory background check entails/mean?
They don't usually contact the employer or check school, probably not referred to CSIS.
Old Jan 21st 2010, 11:38 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

They don't usually contact the employer or check school, probably not referred to CSIS.
Thanks PMM.