British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   PNP and existing permit expiry (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/pnp-existing-permit-expiry-721705/)

Brad Smith Jun 20th 2011 7:01 pm

PNP and existing permit expiry

Hey everyone,

I recently got accepted into the BC PNP program. My existing work permit (granted on a positive LMO last year) expires next week. I was originally planning on taking the letter and my filled out application to the border to get a new permit granted on the spot, but I wanted to be sure that was doable. I had heard a rumor that if you already have a permit, they will not grant you a new one or an extension at the border. Is this true? What's the best course of action?

Thanks.
Brad

wolstie Jun 21st 2011 8:24 pm

Re: PNP and existing permit expiry

Really you should do it by post, but you could chance it down at the border (I tried - and failed), it all depends on the officer you get.

Go down there whilst your current work permit is valid, to make sure they let you back in if they choose not to extend it. If they don't extend it, as soon as you're back, send off for your extension prior to your work permit expiring, that way you still get implied status and can carry on working. Be sure to send the application by registered post.

Brad Smith Jun 22nd 2011 1:46 am

Originally Posted by wolstie (Post 9447752)
Really you should do it by post, but you could chance it down at the border (I tried - and failed), it all depends on the officer you get.

Go down there whilst your current work permit is valid, to make sure they let you back in if they choose not to extend it. If they don't extend it, as soon as you're back, send off for your extension prior to your work permit expiring, that way you still get implied status and can carry on working. Be sure to send the application by registered post.

Hmmm. With Canada Post on strike, this could put me in a very tough spot...

wolstie Jun 22nd 2011 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Brad Smith (Post 9448289)
Hmmm. With Canada Post on strike, this could put me in a very tough spot...

Good point. I used Purolator for my PR app back in April, they were quite reasonable. As long as you get a tracking number / confirmation of receipt at the other end, you should be fine.

manitobain Jun 23rd 2011 2:00 am

:) or you take the post strike as the reason to try to renew it at the border?

The officer might have pitty with you?

wolstie Jun 23rd 2011 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by manitobain (Post 9450936)
:) or you take the post strike as the reason to try to renew it at the border?

The officer might have pitty with you?

Excellent point!