Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:23 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 32
suharsha is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

Hi Friends,

Today i recieved a reply from CIC , they are asking me to submit my IELTS score.

I got following score:

Listening:4.0
Reading:4.0
Writing:3
Speaking:6

Overall band score: 4.5

Please let me know how many points can I get based on the following

I have 18years degree(Masters)
5 years of experience
My spouse is also a Masters(!8 years) degree Holder
My Age: 32
Working in USA on H1B1


Not having any relatives in CANADA, not having work permit in Canada and both me my wife not studied or worked in CANADA.

Thank You Friends,
Suha
suharsha is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:55 am
  #2  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

English:

Listening:4.0 = 1 point
Reading:4.0 = 1 point
Writing:3 = 0 points
Speaking:6 = 2 points

Total for language = 4 points

Education (if conclusively documented completion of at least 17 years of full time education programs) = 25 points

Experience (if conclusively documented 4 years of full time in skilled occupation) = 21 points

Age = 10 points

Spouse's education (if proven same way as yours) = 5 points

Total score (at best, if all proven) = 65 points (short of pass mark)
=========================================

Fact that you are in US on H1 is irrelevant.

_______________________
NOTE TO OTHER READERS:

As all of you who try to claim high proficiency in English based solely on the fact of working in US on H1 visa see from the above IELTS results it is not surprize that officers are getting lately really serious and demanding more often IELTS results.
--------------------------------



Originally Posted by suharsha
Hi Friends,

Today i recieved a reply from CIC , they are asking me to submit my IELTS score.

I got following score:

Listening:4.0
Reading:4.0
Writing:3
Speaking:6

Overall band score: 4.5

Please let me know how many points can I get based on the following

I have 18years degree(Masters)
5 years of experience
My spouse is also a Masters(!8 years) degree Holder
My Age: 32
Working in USA on H1B1


Not having any relatives in CANADA, not having work permit in Canada and both me my wife not studied or worked in CANADA.

Thank You Friends,
Suha

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Apr 27th 2005 at 10:59 am.
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2005, 11:17 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 40
cookie_monster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

Dear Suha,
My personal opinion for you is not to send this score. they will not refuse u with out taking an interview. but if u send this score u'll definatly get a refusal letter. so try to take the test one more time with good prepration. and still if u dont get good score. then just wait for the interview, they'll call u for an interview in any case. by not sending ielts the worst thing that could happen is that u add another 8 to 12 months in ur application processing time.
best of luck
Iqbal
cookie_monster is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2005, 2:43 pm
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 69
samon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

I just don't get it, why is IELTS mandatory in the first place?
We are applying for the immigration, not for an admission in any University.
Here on the forum people from UK said they don't need it, but those in USA on H1B need it.. queer!
Perhaps in USA must be doing the work in sign language
samon is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2005, 2:57 pm
  #5  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

Why language proficiency is such important factor? Because when it wasn't Canada was allowing a lot of immigrants with great educational credentials (PhD's etc) who due to the language barrier couldn't get any employment in their or even similar field ending up flipping burgers or delivering pizzas and complaining that it is Canada's fault.

Only those born, raised, educated and having work experience in English speaking country don't need IELTS. It is not that "those in UK don't need it" - it is that UK born, bread, educated and experienced applicants who's first language (mother's tongue) is English don't need test.

Originally Posted by samon
I just don't get it, why is IELTS mandatory in the first place?
We are applying for the immigration, not for an admission in any University.
Here on the forum people from UK said they don't need it, but those in USA on H1B need it.. queer!
Perhaps in USA must be doing the work in sign language
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2005, 4:45 pm
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Doha, Qatar
Posts: 790
Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice
Default Re: Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Why language proficiency is such important factor? Because when it wasn't Canada was allowing a lot of immigrants with great educational credentials (PhD's etc) who due to the language barrier couldn't get any employment in their or even similar field ending up flipping burgers or delivering pizzas and complaining that it is Canada's fault.

Only those born, raised, educated and having work experience in English speaking country don't need IELTS. It is not that "those in UK don't need it" - it is that UK born, bread, educated and experienced applicants who's first language (mother's tongue) is English don't need test.
I would just add that, when I applied I did enclose a covering letter expalining that I was born, bred and educated in the UK and hence was not enclosing IELTS results.
Majj is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2005, 4:53 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 265
bartM will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

It is so true. In my field of work, I've met tons of PhDs whose English was a disaster but most of them were able to secure a professorship position anyway. Feel sorry for the next wave of graduates

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Why language proficiency is such important factor? Because when it wasn't Canada was allowing a lot of immigrants with great educational credentials (PhD's etc) who due to the language barrier couldn't get any employment in their or even similar field ending up flipping burgers or delivering pizzas and complaining that it is Canada's fault.

Only those born, raised, educated and having work experience in English speaking country don't need IELTS. It is not that "those in UK don't need it" - it is that UK born, bread, educated and experienced applicants who's first language (mother's tongue) is English don't need test.
bartM is offline  
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:17 pm
  #8  
Every day is a new day...
 
amancharan's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Posts: 1,610
amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

Originally Posted by bartM
It is so true. In my field of work, I've met tons of PhDs whose English was a disaster but most of them were able to secure a professorship position anyway. Feel sorry for the next wave of graduates
English is always required if a person would want to flourish in a country where people primarily speak English!
its beyond any doubt that such requirement is a necessity..
but wonder why they keep the spousal and other sponsorships, not under the ambit of IELTS?
I dont want it to happen, becuz this would bar many of the spouses to enter canada :scared: ; but i was just wondering why?
amancharan is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2005, 4:07 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 265
bartM will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

Since they're sponsored, CIC assumes that they will be taken care of by the family. Risky but the alternative could be challenged based on human rights and stuff like that.

Originally Posted by amancharan
English is always required if a person would want to flourish in a country where people primarily speak English!
its beyond any doubt that such requirement is a necessity..
but wonder why they keep the spousal and other sponsorships, not under the ambit of IELTS?
I dont want it to happen, becuz this would bar many of the spouses to enter canada :scared: ; but i was just wondering why?
bartM is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2005, 4:24 am
  #10  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 25
Jill-D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

I just do not understand that you are working in USA, but can only manage to score such low points in IELTS. How did you get a job offer before coming to US with such bad English?


Originally Posted by suharsha
Hi Friends,

Today i recieved a reply from CIC , they are asking me to submit my IELTS score.

I got following score:

Listening:4.0
Reading:4.0
Writing:3
Speaking:6

Overall band score: 4.5

Please let me know how many points can I get based on the following

I have 18years degree(Masters)
5 years of experience
My spouse is also a Masters(!8 years) degree Holder
My Age: 32
Working in USA on H1B1


Not having any relatives in CANADA, not having work permit in Canada and both me my wife not studied or worked in CANADA.

Thank You Friends,
Suha
Jill-D is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2005, 6:25 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 40
cookie_monster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

Jill-D,
this is not the case. having ielts good score does not prove that u r good in english. a lot of people get good score just by "practice practice and practice" rule. on the other hand people who use english comfortably in there daily lives cant get the mark 7, does not mean that they can't survive in canada. its not a fair rule or a least it should be reviewed by the authorities to include some exemptions.
cookie_monster is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2005, 7:42 am
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 161
tsananez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

Originally Posted by Jill-D
I just do not understand that you are working in USA, but can only manage to score such low points in IELTS. How did you get a job offer before coming to US with such bad English?
Jill, I understand your question...however, keep in mind that the IELTS is not only about English. I mean besides testing your level of English, there is a whole technique behind the test that you need to master if you want to get good marks.
To give you an example, I took the toefl (273/300), I took the English test at York university band 2 out of 7 (2 is better than 7, 1 is the highest score)...I got accepted at York's MBA...and then when I took the IELTS I managed to get only 6.5 overall... why??... Because of the structure of the test...then I had to take the IELTS again, I practice for one month at least 4 hours a day and finally I got overall 8....
Do you really think that my English was better after one month???...NOOOO...I just learned how to tackle the exam.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the original poster, take the exam again before sending your score...and make sure that you improve your English because the technique by itself won't be enough...the best luck to you...
tsananez is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2005, 8:10 am
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 420
reddy_cd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

Hi Tsananez,

I will fully agree with you on the IELTS. I am sure that with little bit of practice, one could easily get the required score.

FYI: I would give an instance where a person born and bred in UK (was misguided to take IELTS by her Immigration Consultant) could not get the required score in her 1st attempt. In fact, that matter was discussed for quite a long time on this forum and Mr. Andrew and others even suggested her not to send the score as it would result in lower score.

However, the above person was eligible to claim full points as she born, grown up and studied in an Enlish speaking country (she could get along well with the situation, because of the law).

I am sure that original poster would definitely be able to get the required score if she/he could put some efforts before taking the actual test. Sometimes, even nervousness could cause a person to fail miserably in such exams.

I would like the original poster to take this matter seriously and prove her/his credentials in the language.

Reddy


Originally Posted by tsananez
Jill, I understand your question...however, keep in mind that the IELTS is not only about English. I mean besides testing your level of English, there is a whole technique behind the test that you need to master if you want to get good marks.
To give you an example, I took the toefl (273/300), I took the English test at York university band 2 out of 7 (2 is better than 7, 1 is the highest score)...I got accepted at York's MBA...and then when I took the IELTS I managed to get only 6.5 overall... why??... Because of the structure of the test...then I had to take the IELTS again, I practice for one month at least 4 hours a day and finally I got overall 8....
Do you really think that my English was better after one month???...NOOOO...I just learned how to tackle the exam.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
For the original poster, take the exam again before sending your score...and make sure that you improve your English because the technique by itself won't be enough...the best luck to you...

Last edited by reddy_cd; Apr 28th 2005 at 8:12 am.
reddy_cd is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2005, 8:44 am
  #14  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 25
Jill-D is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

I disagree with you on this. I think a person with fluent English can easily score above 5 without any practice. I am not talking about 7 or so, which I agree with you that it requires practice.



Originally Posted by reddy_cd
Hi Tsananez,

I will fully agree with you on the IELTS. I am sure that with little bit of practice, one could easily get the required score.

FYI: I would give an instance where a person born and bred in UK (was misguided to take IELTS by her Immigration Consultant) could not get the required score in her 1st attempt. In fact, that matter was discussed for quite a long time on this forum and Mr. Andrew and others even suggested her not to send the score as it would result in lower score.

However, the above person was eligible to claim full points as she born, grown up and studied in an Enlish speaking country (she could get along well with the situation, because of the law).

I am sure that original poster would definitely be able to get the required score if she/he could put some efforts before taking the actual test. Sometimes, even nervousness could cause a person to fail miserably in such exams.

I would like the original poster to take this matter seriously and prove her/his credentials in the language.

Reddy
Jill-D is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2005, 2:00 am
  #15  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 92
Canadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant futureCanadaproject has a brilliant future
Default Re: Please see my IELTS score and tell me how many points can I get?

Originally Posted by suharsha
Hi Friends,

Today i recieved a reply from CIC , they are asking me to submit my IELTS score.

I got following score:

Listening:4.0
Reading:4.0
Writing:3
Speaking:6

Overall band score: 4.5

Please let me know how many points can I get based on the following

I have 18years degree(Masters)
5 years of experience
My spouse is also a Masters(!8 years) degree Holder
My Age: 32
Working in USA on H1B1


Not having any relatives in CANADA, not having work permit in Canada and both me my wife not studied or worked in CANADA.

Thank You Friends,
Suha
Well the score seems too low. Looks like you took it casually or lightly.
A little bit of practice gets you a pretty good /decent score.

www.writefix.com is for writing.
listening is also pretty easy.

Only in Reading section I know people ending up with 6/6.5
Canadaproject is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.