British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Please Help ! Truck driver needs LMO/LMIA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/please-help-truck-driver-needs-lmo-lmia-842939/)

Newstart1 Sep 11th 2014 4:16 pm

Please Help ! Truck driver needs LMO/LMIA

Hi all and Good Morning,

I arrived in Edmonton Alberta in July 2013 to work as a truck driver hauling fuel out of the Sherwood Park refineries ... I came in from the UK with my wife and three small children and started work as a temporary foreign worker via the LMO/Work Permit route.

I believe it is only fair to say, I was treated very very badly pretty much from day one by my new employer which resulted in myself walking away from that company earlier this year after I could no longer tolerate "the treatment" as they call it :(

I found myself another job depending on successful application of a new LMO which I was delighted to accept. However ... this new company applied for an LMO for me just before the government applied it's moratorium ... Then when the subsequent new rules came in from the government (LMIA). This new company abandoned my application process after being frustrated out of it as the LMO's office applied their stringent new rules.

This has left myself and my family in Canada ... with no job and no income :(

Does anybody know what I can do ... I am in now in no-mans land and this chance of a lifetime has turned into an utter car crash ... after giving up a good job, house and selling all our possessions to come out here ... We now find ourselves in a very bad financial situation and see no way out ... Can anyone help ... Please ... I have no idea which way to turn anymore. Thank you.

AmyDavid Sep 11th 2014 5:40 pm

Re: Please Help ! Truck driver needs LMO/LMIA

Originally Posted by Newstart1 (Post 11401373)
Hi all and Good Morning,

I arrived in Edmonton Alberta in July 2013 to work as a truck driver hauling fuel out of the Sherwood Park refineries ... I came in from the UK with my wife and three small children and started work as a temporary foreign worker via the LMO/Work Permit route.

I believe it is only fair to say, I was treated very very badly pretty much from day one by my new employer which resulted in myself walking away from that company earlier this year after I could no longer tolerate "the treatment" as they call it :(

I found myself another job depending on successful application of a new LMO which I was delighted to accept. However ... this new company applied for an LMO for me just before the government applied it's moratorium ... Then when the subsequent new rules came in from the government (LMIA). This new company abandoned my application process after being frustrated out of it as the LMO's office applied their stringent new rules.

This has left myself and my family in Canada ... with no job and no income :(

Does anybody know what I can do ... I am in now in no-mans land and this chance of a lifetime has turned into an utter car crash ... after giving up a good job, house and selling all our possessions to come out here ... We now find ourselves in a very bad financial situation and see no way out ... Can anyone help ... Please ... I have no idea which way to turn anymore. Thank you.

I am really sorry to hear that. I assume that you have not started an application for Permanent Residence?

christmasoompa Sep 11th 2014 6:53 pm

I'm sorry to hear that too. Does your wife work? If so, she can continue to do so until her SOWP expires, so could you use her job to apply for PR?

If not, then your only option really is to try and find another job offer and TWP, best of luck with it. If you'd be prepared to relocate within Canada you may stand more of a chance, maybe asking on the trucking forum to see if they know of any firms currently taking on foreign workers? You can stay in Canada until the expiry date on your TWP, how long does that give you?

And sorry to use you as an example, but for any newbies reading, this is why you should *never* give up everything in the UK for a Temp Work Permit! As it says, it's only temporary, so best not to sell a house etc, until you've got PR and know you can stay in Canada.

I wish you the best of luck, fingers crossed you can find another job soon.

Newstart1 Sep 11th 2014 9:04 pm

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your replies ... My work permit expires in July 2015 and while that may seem plenty of time ... I'm coming to realize that time moves at a different speed in Alberta :( Although to be honest I believe financial pressures will force us out of Canada long before any work permits expire.

I have been trying all the other companies that I knew of that were using the old LMO system ... But everyone en bloc appears to have ditched it now because the government have made the regulations so demanding.

Trucking companies are simply saying well we have thirty drivers we will work with that ... once those guys are booked out that's it. There is now no room for growth within this industry things simply won't get transported. The Industry will be choked from this angle now ... But that's not really my concern at this stage.

My wife is looking for work and is having interview after interview and while very employable ... I fear the wages she can bring home will only delay the inevitable. While that's great advise also for Newbies who find this site prior to coming to Canada ... I didn't know about it ... oddly enough ... until I got out here :(

Thanks guys ... It looks like I'm stuffed :(

christmasoompa Sep 11th 2014 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Newstart1 (Post 11401703)
My wife is looking for work and is having interview after interview and while very employable ... I fear the wages she can bring home will only delay the inevitable.

What does she do? It may be worth mentioning in case somebody can point you in the direction of a job. Presumably she's got an open work permit so doesn't need anybody else to go through the cost/hassle of a LMIA app for her? That should make it easier at least.

Fingers crossed, hope that one of you finds something very soon. :fingerscrossed:

kate8kate0 Sep 12th 2014 10:54 am

Hi New start, where abouts are you.. Edmonton? There are plenty of companies that have apps in for lmias...are you willing to relocate...? There's a company in Winnipeg that has lmias (trucking)

How many companies have you approached?

Newstart1 Sep 15th 2014 10:02 am

To be honest kate8kate0

If I have to relocate anywhere it will be home, my finances have been destroyed to such a degree by this move to Canada that I can't afford to relocate, and CIC aren't interested in helping. I have been to see my local MP and he has basically confirmed to me I'm stuffed. I was brought here on a lie ... I'm not the first sure I won't be the last ... But I'm just about done now I no longer care either ... I will make sure I tell everyone back in the UK exactly what it's like over here. Work all the hours in the worst driving conditions known to man for next to no pay, while your very existence here means your handcuffed to a company taking full advantage of the temporary foreign workers ... No ... if this is Canada ... You guys are welcome to it ... I Don't mean to be rude ... It's Just the opinion of a broken man. thank you for your replies and good luck to all.

kate8kate0 Sep 15th 2014 10:25 am

Ok newstart I will have a look at my list and come back to you, I'll help as much as I can speak soon mate.

Wimbawomba Oct 8th 2014 2:15 pm

Hi,

Have you tried the ice road companies now that it is approaching the season ?

Chrisw84 Oct 8th 2014 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Newstart1 (Post 11401703)
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your replies ... My work permit expires in July 2015 and while that may seem plenty of time ... I'm coming to realize that time moves at a different speed in Alberta :( Although to be honest I believe financial pressures will force us out of Canada long before any work permits expire.

I have been trying all the other companies that I knew of that were using the old LMO system ... But everyone en bloc appears to have ditched it now because the government have made the regulations so demanding.

Trucking companies are simply saying well we have thirty drivers we will work with that ... once those guys are booked out that's it. There is now no room for growth within this industry things simply won't get transported. The Industry will be choked from this angle now ... But that's not really my concern at this stage.

My wife is looking for work and is having interview after interview and while very employable ... I fear the wages she can bring home will only delay the inevitable. While that's great advise also for Newbies who find this site prior to coming to Canada ... I didn't know about it ... oddly enough ... until I got out here :(

Thanks guys ... It looks like I'm stuffed :(

Hi

Sounds like we are in the same boat buddy. Im a stonemason currently getting shafted. But im staying with them woth the hope I can find somethong else. Im spending weeks away from my family for bad pay with a few montha of shut down heading our way. My wife is looking for work. But like you say, very employable just nobody wants to know. I hope something comes up for you. Keep trying.

Seanic Oct 9th 2014 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Chrisw84 (Post 11432482)
Hi

Sounds like we are in the same boat buddy. Im a stonemason currently getting shafted. But im staying with them woth the hope I can find somethong else. Im spending weeks away from my family for bad pay with a few montha of shut down heading our way. My wife is looking for work. But like you say, very employable just nobody wants to know. I hope something comes up for you. Keep trying.

Hi Chris

I'm in Regina at the moment and in construction. Things are bad alround. Have you tried coram as they are hiring and are working at the stadium. Pm me if you want more information.

Chrisw84 Oct 9th 2014 4:13 am

Originally Posted by Seanic (Post 11432692)
Hi Chris

I'm in Regina at the moment and in construction. Things are bad alround. Have you tried coram as they are hiring and are working at the stadium. Pm me if you want more information.

Thanks. Iv pm'd you

Seanic Oct 9th 2014 7:25 pm

Can't pm until I post 3 times .where are you from and how long hove you been over here working?

alandoug Oct 9th 2014 8:29 pm

Manitoulin have an Edmonton depot. Very big & know the system well. Have some great routes too. All up into the territories.
Give em a try?

neilcumming Oct 9th 2014 9:35 pm

If you decide to stay SK or MB are the places to go,they treat you a wee bit better than AB .I can give you a contact in Winnipeg who may be able to help you with work.Im guessing it was Westcan Bulk who you worked for?