Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Please Help ! Truck driver needs LMO/LMIA

Please Help ! Truck driver needs LMO/LMIA

Old Jun 30th 2015, 6:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please Help ! Truck driver needs LMO/LMIA

Originally Posted by Newstart1
There are no LMIA's available ... Anywhere !!!
So you didn't read the section Siouxie suggested then?

A company has to apply to CIC for an LMIA and each case is assessed on a case by case basis at that time. Ring CIC ... they will tell you this themselves directly. !
CIC have nothing to do with it, so I'm not sure why you'd suggest anybody rings them. LMIA's are administered and issued by ESDC.

There are no longer open LMO's for companies it's complete non-sense to say companies have LMIA's.
Except that they are possible, they're called unnamed LMIA's and here's the info on how to apply for them from the ESDC website - Unnamed LMIA | ESDC

Please don't guess .. If you don't know the facts ... don't say anything, it's completely mis-leading to people who are trying to find there way through a very complicated immigration set-up (smh) ... Manitoba ... Pfffffffff !
Yes, isn't it annoying when people give out the wrong information?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 30th 2015 at 6:19 am.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 7:01 am
Just Joined

Newstart1 is an unknown quantity at this point

No it's not a figment of your imagination ???

It's a figment of somebody else's imagination, your just the unfortunate soul who read it and believed it to be real !!!

Before I returned to the UK ... I explored many of these such job adverts only to find out there was no such LMO or LMIA available ... companies were simply not up to date with the changes. They think they can still obtain an LMO or LMIA because they had been once able to, all be it before the Moratorium of 2014, but they continue to post these jobs adverts stating they can ... despite being massively out of date.

Just because it's posted on a website doesn't mean it's real ... Especially in Canada and on the likes of Canada's job bank which is uncensored job postings by subscribed companies.

Remember expats is meant to be of help to others who are unsure, who try to call upon the experience and knowledge of others who have been through their system ... It's unfair to new users when they are given red herrings to chase and dead ends to explore, it simply frustrates the life out of them, leading them into guessing at decisions because they cannot find out the facts. This is why I have spoken up !

Fact ... No companies have LMIA's sitting around waiting for drivers to drop into ... It just doesn't operate like that anymore. If a company wants to hire an international driver they have to go through a lengthy process to convince the government they have failed to recruit Canadians and pay a fee of $1000 CAD per person per application ... That candidate is then assessed by CIC on a case by case basis as part of their application process and therefore from scratch ... No LMIA is issued without the candidate first being assessed and processed by CIC and therefore no LMIA's are just sitting their open and available.

Still doubt me ... ? Call bison or one of the other big haulage companies over there they will tell you exactly what I have because they have been battling CIC and service Canada for these LMIA's now for well ver a year and still can't get them, despite once being the biggest players in the hiring of international drivers or temporary foreign workers !

This is not a case of shooting you down ... This is a case of ensuring this website continues to correctly inform it's would be users of facts, maybe helping them understand the process in Canada, as well as the pros and cons of moving to or working in Canada. This is often a lifeline for expats in really bad situations like I once found myself in, and in desperate need of a little guidance.

Now I have to go as I can't spare anymore time to this ... I know you haven't intentionally tried to mis-lead anyone here, and I hope my experience can better serve the original user with his enquiry ... Either way I hope you all have a great day and good luck in everything you all do ... Nice and sunny here in the UK TODAY )
Old Jun 30th 2015, 7:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Remember expats is meant to be of help to others who are unsure, who try to call upon the experience and knowledge of others who have been through their system ... It's unfair to new users when they are given red herrings to chase and dead ends to explore, it simply frustrates the life out of them, leading them into guessing at decisions because they cannot find out the facts. This is why I have spoken up !
You may have given up, but as evidenced by threads in the truckers forum, there are LMIA's out there for truckers. Granted, they're far rarer than LMO's were, but they do exist. We have a trucking recruiter that posts on this forum and he mentioned some being available last week (can't remember the name of the company now, but a quick search will find his post).

Fact ... No companies have LMIA's sitting around waiting for drivers to drop into ... It just doesn't operate like that anymore. If a company wants to hire an international driver they have to go through a lengthy process to convince the government they have failed to recruit Canadians and pay a fee of $1000 CAD per person per application ... That candidate is then assessed by CIC on a case by case basis as part of their application process and therefore from scratch ... No LMIA is issued without the candidate first being assessed and processed by CIC and therefore no LMIA's are just sitting their open and available.
Yes, we know exactly what the process is (years of working in immigration will kind of do that to you), but we also know that your info is about 3 months out of date as companies are starting to hire truckers on LMIA's again, albeit in much smaller number than before.

This is not a case of shooting you down ... This is a case of ensuring this website continues to correctly inform it's would be users of facts, maybe helping them understand the process in Canada, as well as the pros and cons of moving to or working in Canada. This is often a lifeline for expats in really bad situations like I once found myself in, and in desperate need of a little guidance.
Indeed, as moderators that's exactly what Siouxie and I are trying to do. Sorry, but you gave incorrect info in your post such as telling people to phone CIC and telling them that unnamed LMIA's don't exist - so we are 'ensuring this website continues to correct informal it's [sic] would be users of facts'.

Now I have to go as I can't spare anymore time to this ... I know you haven't intentionally tried to mis-lead anyone here, and I hope my experience can better serve the original user with his enquiry ... Either way I hope you all have a great day and good luck in everything you all do ... Nice and sunny here in the UK TODAY )
Indeed it is. I'm just about to walk the kids to school and it's beautiful out there.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

H&R had a limited # of LMIA's available to existing drivers in Canada a couple of weeks ago and so did TransX.
There is the odd company with them including a couple of companies in NS.
Newstart, I read this thread when you started and very sorry to hear of your experience but there are thousands of us drivers here that have gone through the process relatively unscathed and remain here having a great life.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 8:55 am
Just Joined

Hmmm ... I'll just leave it to users to decide if what I've said is indeed fact or fiction, as for being around 3 months out of date ... The recruitment consultants acting on behalf of one of the big players, trying to get an LMIA for a very close friend of mine who is still in Canada, are proverbially still bashing their heads against a brick wall, and have several applications refused as Service Canada do not believe their are no Canadians available to fill the posts. That is across Canada and not just at provincial level !

Companies do not have LMIA's or even the promise of an LMIA which they can simply offer up to a driver, as was once possible under the LMO SYSTEM. Now a company has to submit an individual application for every candidate and then justify every appointment at the cost of $1000 per person per application. No company can offer up an LMIA up front ... As they first have to apply for and then go through the extremely strict application process having first satisfied Service Canada that they have done everything possible to hire a Canadian First (Hence the Governments Canadian's First labour Policy). Once the company has successfully satisfied Service Canada that they have unsuccessfully tried everything possible to fill the post (ie Broad ranging job adverts etc as well contacting local community groups etc to establish if the required skilled labour is available) The company is permitted to submit an application pack for the candidate showing relevant experience and qualifications and then Service Canada decides whether or not to approve the application.

The only LMIA's currently being passed in Canada are Supervisor level Drivers better known as the driver trainers, and this is only in keeping with Canada's current policy to sort out the truck driver shortage in house from within its own labour pool. Driver trainers are still seen as required by Canada to train up their own people to fill the truck driving vacancies.

They are your facts my friend ... The original post wasn't looking for an LMIA for a Driver Trainers position ... He was asking how to get an LMIA for a trucking driving post ... And I answered. Unfortunately your colleague answered suggesting he/she could get an LMIA if they replied to the adverts currently posted in Manitoba. I explained why they are wrong.

Now if anyone wants to go through this process ... Feel free ... I wish all who try ... every success ... However do not be disappointed by the outcome if in the coming months if you are first told ... "There seems to be a delay" ... Followed by a ... "I'm very sorry but the government aren't issuing LMIA's at this time" ... Because this is standard right now and not three months out of date as you would have the readers of this thread believe.

All I'll say to anyone is this ... First call the big players ... Bison etc ... Ask them if they have been issued with any LMIA's recently ... See what they say ???

As for your "hear say and rumours" you moderators can quote them as much as you like ... Doesn't mean any of them are true ... Ring the companies ... and watch the above process unfold before your eyes, then feel free to tell me I'm wrong ... I'm more than happy for that to be the case to be honest, but please don't mis-lead guys who come here seeking a little guidance and help if you don't know what your talking about ... It's grossly unfair on them.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 9:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Hmmm ... I'll just leave it to users to decide if what I've said is indeed fact or fiction, as for being around 3 months out of date ... The recruitment consultants acting on behalf of one of the big players, trying to get an LMIA for a very close friend of mine who is still in Canada, are proverbially still bashing their heads against a brick wall, and have several applications refused as Service Canada do not believe their are no Canadians available to fill the posts. That is across Canada and not just at provincial level !
If it's for 'one of the big players' then that's only one company. So a sweeping generalisation if you're applying that across the whole industry.

Companies do not have LMIA's or even the promise of an LMIA which they can simply offer up to a driver, as was once possible under the LMO SYSTEM. Now a company has to submit an individual application for every candidate and then justify every appointment at the cost of $1000 per person per application. No company can offer up an LMIA up front ... As they first have to apply for and then go through the extremely strict application process having first satisfied Service Canada that they have done everything possible to hire a Canadian First (Hence the Governments Canadian's First labour Policy). Once the company has successfully satisfied Service Canada that they have unsuccessfully tried everything possible to fill the post (ie Broad ranging job adverts etc as well contacting local community groups etc to establish if the required skilled labour is available) The company is permitted to submit an application pack for the candidate showing relevant experience and qualifications and then Service Canada decides whether or not to approve the application.
Again, we all know exactly what the process for a LMIA is. Unlike you, we've actually been through it, either personally or doing it for others as part of a daily job.

You've already been shown a link to disprove your statements that unnamed LMIA's aren't possible, but for some reason you're doggedly sticking to your own ideas rather than believing the information on the ESDC website.

They are your facts my friend ...
They're really not. They are what you think are facts, but three of us now have corrected you and you've not been gracious enough to take that on board.

All I'll say to anyone is this ... First call the big players ... Bison etc ... Ask them if they have been issued with any LMIA's recently ... See what they say ???
Nobody said Bison had LMIA's, but you have been told of 3 companies now that DO have them. Again, you're ignoring that to suit your own view of things though.

Aplease don't mis-lead guys who come here seeking a little guidance and help if you don't know what your talking about ... It's grossly unfair on them.
It is, and I'm afraid that is what you are doing by telling people to phone CIC to speak to them about LMIA's, that there is no such thing as unnamed LMIA's anymore, that there are absolutely no LMIA's for truckers across the whole of Canada etc, when we all know that your statements are incorrect.

I'm sorry, but you're the one giving erroneous information here based on your own limited job hunting experiences. Please don't assume that's the case across the whole of Canada or pooh pooh others attempts to be helpful when they know of LMIA's that do exist for truckers.

And if you're still job hunting, why not message the lady advertising for truckers in the link given to you by Siouxie above, Gladstone Transfer in MB who have LMIA's available?
Old Jun 30th 2015, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Hi again Neil,

Hope your ok mate

Yes I fully appreciate that many drivers have gone to Canada over the years, and have gone onto have a wonderful life there, for them I am truly happy. I completely agree with that my friend ... But generally speaking that was the generation that went out there 12 to 6 yrs ago when the PR process was much quicker and easier and when the companies paid for most things and treated their TFW's with a little more respect.

These days everything is very different and much harder my friend, companies since that early generation have learned to abuse the TFW program to the point the government had to change the rules. The the process too, is much longer and far stricter, leaving foreigners exposed to much worse treatment for far longer periods while negotiating their way to the holy grail of PR. I hope the new rules do work to protect the new guys that will venture across the pond to follow in your footsteps.

I have no axe to grind with anyone my friend, I am working back in the UK and all is well in my life ... Unlike the hardship I had to endure in my time in Canada, my purpose was to make it known that while many of that golden generation went on to have great lives ... Many didn't ... and over the years that percentage has decreased quite significantly.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 9:15 am
Just Joined

Ha Ha ... So now I have an agenda lol

Ok guys you try it ... You listen to guys living in a bubble. But I did try last year to get an LMIA with several companies before calling it a day.

I have been through that process you claim you know.

Good luck everyone .. My threads are posted read and proceed with caution or ignore them ... It's completely your call.

Me ... I'm ok guys )
Old Jun 30th 2015, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again Neil,

Hope your ok mate

Yes I fully appreciate that many drivers have gone to Canada over the years, and have gone onto have a wonderful life there, for them I am truly happy. I completely agree with that my friend ... But generally speaking that was the generation that went out there 12 to 6 yrs ago when the PR process was much quicker and easier and when the companies paid for most things and treated their TFW's with a little more respect.

These days everything is very different and much harder my friend, companies since that early generation have learned to abuse the TFW program to the point the government had to change the rules. The the process too, is much longer and far stricter, leaving foreigners exposed to much worse treatment for far longer periods while negotiating their way to the holy grail of PR. I hope the new rules do work to protect the new guys that will venture across the pond to follow in your footsteps.

I have no axe to grind with anyone my friend, I am working back in the UK and all is well in my life ... Unlike the hardship I had to endure in my time in Canada, my purpose was to make it known that while many of that golden generation went on to have great lives ... Many didn't ... and over the years that percentage has decreased quite significantly.
I know the company you was with and you were not the first or last that got ****ed over and not only drivers.
It's a shame you couldn't find another company at the time, the LMIA's H&R and TransX have/had, are/were for drivers exactly in the position you were in and other drivers who's LMO's/LMIA's have run out and their companies not being able to or not willing to renew them.
But they were available as are Gladstone Transfer and a couple of companies in NS.
All the best to you.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

kate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond reputekate8kate0 has a reputation beyond repute

Your a trucker in UK ... Stay !

Do not go any further, no matter how bad you think things are here in the UK. I give you my word ... they are not as bad as the situation you will find yourself in, If you successfully get a company to get you an LMIA.

Right now Canada are not issuing LMIA to international drivers, they are addressing their truck driver shortage by training up and employing a home grown labour force. It's over in Canada for the foreseeable future for truckers trying to get to Out there ... And trust me that's a god send for unsuspecting brits looking at a life in Canada through Rose tinted glasses. Canada is not the picture of perfection they would have you think it is ... It's a very tough place to go and try to make a future for yourself as a driver simply because the companies in Canada who hire international drivers do so to exploit them ... And they have mastered the art of stiffing you ... Legally !!!
It's not that bad for us, sorry you seemed to be working for a company that's not looking after you.

We came over on an lmia in January, been treated well by our company, my husband is the only income for now, but we're doing ok, renting a nice house in calgary, pr papers going through.

lmias are absolutely harder to come by for sure, it seems only some more rural companies are getting them, because they're the one that need them and get them.

Last edited by kate8kate0; Jun 30th 2015 at 5:03 pm.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

ttj1 is an unknown quantity at this point

hey......

Thanks to Neilg14..... Yes we currently do have 2 LMIA's available.....
Old Jun 30th 2015, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If it's for 'one of the big players' then that's only one company. So a sweeping generalisation if you're applying that across the whole industry.

Again, we all know exactly what the process for a LMIA is. Unlike you, we've actually been through it, either personally or doing it for others as part of a daily job.

You've already been shown a link to disprove your statements that unnamed LMIA's aren't possible, but for some reason you're doggedly sticking to your own ideas rather than believing the information on the ESDC website.

They're really not. They are what you think are facts, but three of us now have corrected you and you've not been gracious enough to take that on board.

Nobody said Bison had LMIA's, but you have been told of 3 companies now that DO have them. Again, you're ignoring that to suit your own view of things though.

It is, and I'm afraid that is what you are doing by telling people to phone CIC to speak to them about LMIA's, that there is no such thing as unnamed LMIA's anymore, that there are absolutely no LMIA's for truckers across the whole of Canada etc, when we all know that your statements are incorrect.

I'm sorry, but you're the one giving erroneous information here based on your own limited job hunting experiences. Please don't assume that's the case across the whole of Canada or pooh pooh others attempts to be helpful when they know of LMIA's that do exist for truckers.

And if you're still job hunting, why not message the lady advertising for truckers in the link given to you by Siouxie above, Gladstone Transfer in MB who have LMIA's available?

Thank you....!!!! 😀
Old Jun 30th 2015, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

No it's not a figment of your imagination ???

It's a figment of somebody else's imagination, your just the unfortunate soul who read it and believed it to be real !!!

Before I returned to the UK ... I explored many of these such job adverts only to find out there was no such LMO or LMIA available ... companies were simply not up to date with the changes. They think they can still obtain an LMO or LMIA because they had been once able to, all be it before the Moratorium of 2014, but they continue to post these jobs adverts stating they can ... despite being massively out of date.

Just because it's posted on a website doesn't mean it's real ... Especially in Canada and on the likes of Canada's job bank which is uncensored job postings by subscribed companies.

Still doubt me ... ? Call bison or one of the other big haulage companies over there they will tell you exactly what I have because they have been battling CIC and service Canada for these LMIA's now for well ver a year and still can't get them, despite once being the biggest players in the hiring of international drivers or temporary foreign workers !

Hey

LMIAs do exist, just as the moderators say, as we have 2 available at our company in Manitoba.