Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Please Help ! Truck driver needs LMO/LMIA

Please Help ! Truck driver needs LMO/LMIA

Old Oct 10th 2014, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Amy1807 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please Help ! Truck driver needs LMO/LMIA

Originally Posted by neilcumming
I can give you a contact in Winnipeg who may be able to help you with work.Im guessing it was Westcan Bulk who you worked for?
My oh spoke with a guy in MB last week who said that trucking companies in MB weren't allowed to hire foreign drivers until 1st July '15. Have you heard anything like that? No other company in MB that he's spoke to have said anything of the sort.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 5:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amy1807
My oh spoke with a guy in MB last week who said that trucking companies in MB weren't allowed to hire foreign drivers until 1st July '15. Have you heard anything like that? No other company in MB that he's spoke to have said anything of the sort.
No I havent heard anything like that.There is a 30% cap on foreign workers in companies and that will reduce to 20% in july 2015 and 10% in july 2016,maybe there some confusion.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

I still cannot believe how anti immigration Canada is, this country was built with migrants too wasn't it? So interesting
Old Oct 11th 2014, 7:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dishwashing
I still cannot believe how anti immigration Canada is, this country was built with migrants too wasn't it? So interesting
200,000+ people granted PR last year, and over a million temp visas issued, and you think Canada is anti-immigrant?!

CIC may have tightened things up recently but I still think Canada has got a pretty open immigration system that most can qualify for. And if they can't quality for it, then Canada doesn't want/need them, and that's fair enough imo.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 2:41 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

The government is trying to make things BETTER for foreign workers, not worse with the recent changes. To make sure employers don't take advantage of their position & the worker is paid & treated fairly.

My main concern is that pressure from employers will mean they get relaxed or not properly enforced.

Canada is most certainly NOT anti immigration.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

On any immigration article, there are hundreds on thousands of anti-immigrant comments. This is a country which seems to resent immigrants, YES

I think the Government is balancing these political opinions with its recognition that yes, Canada needs immigration. Not an easy job.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

neilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond reputeneilcumming has a reputation beyond repute

I think the canadian government has to take alot of the blame for the twp abuses.They should have had more control in the first place and not have companies and 'recruitment consultants' abusing the program i.e. selling LMOs.It will be interesting to see how the new changes pan out as they is a big shortage of truck drivers ,looks like it will be more difficult for drivers from UK to come to Canada.As for the OP ,your best bet is to try SK or MB ,your not the only one that I have heard of being messed about in AB
Old Oct 11th 2014, 5:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good/fair point, Neil, I don't know the history of this so much so it could be a factor, I have been surprised at the hundreds of comments directing vitriol at immigrants and that they 'are all stealing decent citizens' jobs' and 'they should all be deported immediately'

Intelligent debate, yes, but the level of discussion was surprising to me tis all, and a bit disappointing
Old Oct 11th 2014, 7:14 pm
Forum Regular

alandoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dishwashing
Good/fair point, Neil, I don't know the history of this so much so it could be a factor, I have been surprised at the hundreds of comments directing vitriol at immigrants and that they 'are all stealing decent citizens' jobs' and 'they should all be deported immediately'

Intelligent debate, yes, but the level of discussion was surprising to me tis all, and a bit disappointing
Where did you find the comments?
Old Jun 30th 2015, 1:20 am
Just Joined

Thind 88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all I m new here plz anybody let me know how can I get lmia I'm live in uk as a truck driver.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 2:37 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Newstart1
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your replies ... My work permit expires in July 2015 and while that may seem plenty of time ... I'm coming to realize that time moves at a different speed in Alberta Although to be honest I believe financial pressures will force us out of Canada long before any work permits expire.

I have been trying all the other companies that I knew of that were using the old LMO system ... But everyone en bloc appears to have ditched it now because the government have made the regulations so demanding.

Trucking companies are simply saying well we have thirty drivers we will work with that ... once those guys are booked out that's it. There is now no room for growth within this industry things simply won't get transported. The Industry will be choked from this angle now ... But that's not really my concern at this stage.

My wife is looking for work and is having interview after interview and while very employable ... I fear the wages she can bring home will only delay the inevitable. While that's great advise also for Newbies who find this site prior to coming to Canada ... I didn't know about it ... oddly enough ... until I got out here

Thanks guys ... It looks like I'm stuffed
You may want to look in the Canada jobs section.

Old Jun 30th 2015, 5:14 am
Just Joined

Newstart1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your a trucker in UK ... Stay !

Do not go any further, no matter how bad you think things are here in the UK. I give you my word ... they are not as bad as the situation you will find yourself in, If you successfully get a company to get you an LMIA.

Right now Canada are not issuing LMIA to international drivers, they are addressing their truck driver shortage by training up and employing a home grown labour force. It's over in Canada for the foreseeable future for truckers trying to get to Out there ... And trust me that's a god send for unsuspecting brits looking at a life in Canada through Rose tinted glasses. Canada is not the picture of perfection they would have you think it is ... It's a very tough place to go and try to make a future for yourself as a driver simply because the companies in Canada who hire international drivers do so to exploit them ... And they have mastered the art of stiffing you ... Legally !!!
Old Jun 30th 2015, 5:54 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Your a trucker in UK ... Stay !

Do not go any further, no matter how bad you think things are here in the UK. I give you my word ... they are not as bad as the situation you will find yourself in, If you successfully get a company to get you an LMIA.

Right now Canada are not issuing LMIA to international drivers, they are addressing their truck driver shortage by training up and employing a home grown labour force. It's over in Canada for the foreseeable future for truckers trying to get to Out there ... And trust me that's a god send for unsuspecting brits looking at a life in Canada through Rose tinted glasses. Canada is not the picture of perfection they would have you think it is ... It's a very tough place to go and try to make a future for yourself as a driver simply because the companies in Canada who hire international drivers do so to exploit them ... And they have mastered the art of stiffing you ... Legally !!!
Did you happen to look at the Canada Jobs section? There's a couple of LMIA's available for truck drivers in Manitoba.

Old Jun 30th 2015, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Newstart1 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are no LMIA's available ... Anywhere !!!

It doesn't work that way anymore ... A company has to apply to CIC for an LMIA and each case is assessed on a case by case basis at that time. Ring CIC ... they will tell you this themselves directly. There are no longer open LMO's for companies it's complete non-sense to say companies have LMIA's.

Please don't guess .. If you don't know the facts ... don't say anything, it's completely mis-leading to people who are trying to find there way through a very complicated immigration set-up (smh) ... Manitoba ... Pfffffffff !
Old Jun 30th 2015, 6:13 am
Banned

There are no LMIA's available ... Anywhere !!!

It doesn't work that way anymore ... A company has to apply to CIC for an LMIA and each case is assessed on a case by case basis at that time. Ring CIC ... they will tell you this themselves directly. There are no longer open LMO's for companies it's complete non-sense to say companies have LMIA's.

Please don't guess .. If you don't know the facts ... don't say anything, it's completely mis-leading to people who are trying to find there way through a very complicated immigration set-up (smh) ... Manitoba ... Pfffffffff !
Oh, I'm sorry - I guess this post is a figment of my imagination then.

My bad.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...driver-859943/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.