Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Please help!!! :( Spousal application information

Wikiposts

Please help!!! :( Spousal application information

Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:12 am
Just Joined

tyles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please help!!! :( Spousal application information

Sorry this is a little long winded but Ive tried and tried to get answers and no one from CIC or the London office has answered my pleas so I am hoping someone here can help me.

I am a UK citizen. I married my Canadian citizen husband recently and we are discussing the next step of him sponsoring me so I can apply for Permanent Residency and be able to work in Canada. We believe we have all the necessary criteria for us to do this. I am currently in Ontario (Toronto) as a visitor which I applied to get extended until October this year as we were getting married and it was granted. Having been here on a working visa the previous year I have been here more than I have been at home! In October I am returning to the UK to work for a few months and to spend time with my family (Christmas is going to be one big party ) and then planning on returning in January to stay here as a visitor for a while with my husband hopefully whilst the process is underway.

My question is, should I apply as an inland or outland applicant? Should we begin now as an inland applicant, knowing that I'm leaving Canada to go home for a few months but then returning or am I better to wait until October when I am back at home to start the spousal sponsorship/ permanent residency application as an outland applicant?

The inland process is currently estimated to be a much longer application process then for outland, but I'm not sure which is the best way to apply for now to not confuse the application process or break any rules or laws, by knowing that I plan to be back in Canada as a visitor in January, possibly for a few months (will I get sent paperwork to my UK address that I should just stay there for?) If I apply as outland, do I need to wait until the estimated 6 month processing time has completed and the next phase of that application process has begun before I can return, or am I free to travel during the application process?

I'm really confused as to what to do! I want to make sure that I do everything correctly and properly to avoid delays. I would want this application hopefully to be granted so I could work here (my husband already supports my stay whilst I am visiting him and I have been lucky enough to be able to go back to my job when I return to live in England) but in the long term I would love to be able to work here full time and become as self supporting as I can.

Im scared that when I go home , I'm wasting valuable processing time months until then but in the same way scared that when I want to come back in January I will not be allowed because of the application Ive spoke to immigration lawyers, and they are wanting to do the whole process for $3000 but with what I believe having no criminal history, medical needs and the fact that this is a genuine relationship my husband and I would rather do the process ourselves.

Thank you in advance if you can help
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:16 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help!!! :( Spousal application information

Put the application in now. Do it as Outland. The process is easy, and anything you're unsure of, post on here and people will be able to answer.

Don't worry so much, and save yourself a ton of money
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Read this link
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:42 am
Just Joined

Thank you both!

If I start the process now before I go home in October will I have to get medical reports and police checks done whilst at home or can I get them done here??
Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:46 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tyles
Thank you both!

If I start the process now before I go home in October will I have to get medical reports and police checks done whilst at home or can I get them done here??
You will need to get police checks done in Canada and the UK. You can do it all by post in the UK. Not sure abotu Canada.

Medicals can be done in either country.

Personally i'd get it all done in canada, send off your application, and enjoy your UK visit. By the time you get back to Canada you could easily have PR.

There's really no reason to wait.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

you dont need a police check for canada.
you do need a police check from the UK and the certificate can be sent to an address in the UK or one in Canada for no extra cost so it's up to you. you print the application off from the website and send a photo and cheque to them. The police certificate is valid for 3 months so be ready to send off your application fairly soon after you apply. They just need to receive it before the 3 months are up.
Apply outland - they dont care whether you are living in Canada or the UK or both. You can still apply outland and its much quicker.
Medicals are much cheaper in canada and the immigration doctors are widely available without having to wait to get an appointment. they are valid for 12 months so get it done before you go back to the UK

I'm currently filling out the application forms myself. They are not too bad as long as you read the guides thoroughly. certainly no need for a lawyer
Old Aug 17th 2012, 6:52 am
Beep

Originally Posted by chanceUK
you dont need a police check for canada.
The OP doesn't say how long they have been in Canada, but implies longer than the 6 months allowed having asked to extend the period of stay to October.

Either way, if they will have lived in Canada for longer than 6 months, they must get a Canadian police check.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Thanks for all of the information.

I think I will just get everything together and do the medical etc here before i leave but apply as an outland applicant. I do need a police check from the RCMP in Canada as I have been here since September last year (6 months as a standard visitor then I extended my stay so we could get married) so records wise the Canadian ones are more current than the police check from back home but that I know I just need to go and get fingerprints etc taking so should be fine.

Thanks again, I will probably pop up with another question at some point!!
Old Aug 17th 2012, 5:12 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by el_richo
The OP doesn't say how long they have been in Canada, but implies longer than the 6 months allowed having asked to extend the period of stay to October.

Either way, if they will have lived in Canada for longer than 6 months, they must get a Canadian police check.

No. They only require a police check for Canada if CIC requests it. CIC does a name check themselves. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ica/canada.asp
Old Aug 17th 2012, 6:50 pm
Beep

Thanks for the confirmation. I must have misread 6 months or more in a country and you had to provide a police certificate.

This bit:

Who needs a police certificate?

In general, you and everyone in your family who is 18 years of age or over need to obtain a police certificate. You must obtain a police certificate from each country or territory where you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.

The certificate must have been issued no more than three months before you submit your application.

If the original certificate is neither in English nor in French, submit both the certificate and the original copy of a translation prepared by an accredited translator with your application.

Last edited by el_richo; Aug 17th 2012 at 6:53 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 3:09 am
BE Enthusiast

chanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond reputechanceUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Thanks for the confirmation. I must have misread 6 months or more in a country and you had to provide a police certificate.

This bit:

Who needs a police certificate?

In general, you and everyone in your family who is 18 years of age or over need to obtain a police certificate. You must obtain a police certificate from each country or territory where you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.

The certificate must have been issued no more than three months before you submit your application.

If the original certificate is neither in English nor in French, submit both the certificate and the original copy of a translation prepared by an accredited translator with your application.
nah this is the relevent section from the guide for family class sponsorship

Police certificates

If you and your family members who are 18 years of age and older and are not permanent residents or Canadian citizens have to provide:

a valid police certificate, or
police clearance, or
record of no information.
These documents are to be provided for each country other than Canada, in which you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 3:48 am
Beep

nah this is the relevent section from the guide for family class sponsorship

Police certificates

If you and your family members who are 18 years of age and older and are not permanent residents or Canadian citizens have to provide:

a valid police certificate, or
police clearance, or
record of no information.
These documents are to be provided for each country other than Canada, in which you have lived for six consecutive months or longer since reaching the age of 18.
Cheers
Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Hi again

Im collecting all my evidence, all coming along well!! waiting for police check from the UK, definitely don't need one from Canada, CIC do their own check here.

Whilst going through evidence etc of proving our relationship etc, we are sorting out our facebook messages, emails, and skype records etc. We literally will have thousands and thousands of pages to print out. Do they want all of this?! It seems excessive that I will send them probably about 12000 pages+!!!!!! and thats just for the time when Ive been back home Would I not be able to send them a cd with everything on?

My husband works for the government and his response to the paper versus cd question ... Yeah, and of course it would go with the GoC sustainable development strategy... where we are supposed to promote GoC business being done in a green, enviro friendly way...
Give them 20 yrs... lol!!!

hanks guys
Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tyles
Hi again

Im collecting all my evidence, all coming along well!! waiting for police check from the UK, definitely don't need one from Canada, CIC do their own check here.

Whilst going through evidence etc of proving our relationship etc, we are sorting out our facebook messages, emails, and skype records etc. We literally will have thousands and thousands of pages to print out. Do they want all of this?! It seems excessive that I will send them probably about 12000 pages+!!!!!! and thats just for the time when Ive been back home Would I not be able to send them a cd with everything on?

My husband works for the government and his response to the paper versus cd question ... Yeah, and of course it would go with the GoC sustainable development strategy... where we are supposed to promote GoC business being done in a green, enviro friendly way...
Give them 20 yrs... lol!!!

hanks guys
I copied my skype logs into a word document and then added the page numbers (it was 300 pages). I then printed a selection e.g. page 1, 50, 150, 220, 290. They can see from the page numbers/dates that there is a lot more if they want to read it but i dont think sending all of the pages strengthens the application.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

I copied my skype logs into a word document and then added the page numbers (it was 300 pages). I then printed a selection e.g. page 1, 50, 150, 220, 290. They can see from the page numbers/dates that there is a lot more if they want to read it but i dont think sending all of the pages strengthens the application.
you definitely are NOT ALLOWED to send a CD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.