Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Please help with spousal application

Please help with spousal application

Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:19 am
Forum Regular

loza789 is on a distinguished road
Default Please help with spousal application

Hello,

Can anyone please offer me some advice?

My boyfriend and I have been together for 5 years and lived together for about 6 months. We're putting our applications in this month but are a bit confused over the spousal route. Although we live together, he has a house he's renervating so we've never informed anyone as there's no financial benefit. What proof do we need to prove we are couple who have been living together for 6 months?

Thanks
Loraine
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help with spousal application

Originally Posted by loza789
Hello,

Can anyone please offer me some advice?

My boyfriend and I have been together for 5 years and lived together for about 6 months. We're putting our applications in this month but are a bit confused over the spousal route. Although we live together, he has a house he's renervating so we've never informed anyone as there's no financial benefit. What proof do we need to prove we are couple who have been living together for 6 months?

Thanks
Loraine
You need to have lived together for 12 months before you can qualify as a Common law spouse. I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to explain further but in the meantime check out the WIKI section of the site.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

exactly what i thought as well, you will need to prove to the immigration that you have been living together for 12 months, the best way to confirm this is by reading up on it on the wiki,in the blue bar at the top of the screen, good luck and all the best.

MR79
Old Jul 6th 2009, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help.

I think we are going to do our applications on our own but inform the immigration office that we live together. hopefully, it will work out ok
Old Jul 6th 2009, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help.

I think we are going to do our applications on our own but inform the immigration office that we live together. hopefully, it will work out ok
Sorry I'm confused are you or your partner Canadian Citizens? I assumed from your thread title that you were doing a Spousal Sponsorship application
Old Jul 6th 2009, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

No neither of us are Canadian or ever lived in Canada. I only get 64 points but he gets well over 67 so I was hoping to say we were a common law couple.
Old Jul 6th 2009, 12:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

No neither of us are Canadian or ever lived in Canada. I only get 64 points but he gets well over 67 so I was hoping to say we were a common law couple.
Oh right gotcha, good luck with your application
Old Jul 6th 2009, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

TomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond reputeTomHoney has a reputation beyond repute

If you have not lived together ofr a continuous 12 month period you will not be classed as a common law couple.

and with your 64 points you wont qualify.

so you will need to live together for 12 months then your partner can apply with his 67 points.

That is my view. someone else will hopefully be along with further advice.