Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Please help panic mode- have i missed the chance to apply for PR?

Please help panic mode- have i missed the chance to apply for PR?

Old Sep 10th 2019, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of
Default Please help panic mode- have i missed the chance to apply for PR?

Hi All,

I am currently living in Vancouver on a BC PNP. I have a work permit support letter and obtained a 2 year work permit at the border when we arrived in January.

I just wrote to my BCPNP case worker as my employment status had changed, and he told me that I should have applied for PR within 6 months of arriving in Canada. I had no idea about this and now I'm freaking out- we had planned to wait until we'd been living in Canada for a year and then apply under Canadian experience class...Does this mean my TWP is no longer valid because I didn't submit a PR application within 6 months!? Will I not be considered for PR now!
Old Sep 10th 2019, 9:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please help panic mode- have i missed the chance to apply for PR?

What do you mean by employment status changed? Is it an open work permit or employer specific with NOC code. I tend to think they are saying if applying for PR under the BCPNP then you should have done that within 6 months as the whole point of applying was going to be under the BC PNP. More details required but you shouldn't be totally freaking out yet unless you have breached the work permit regulations.
Old Sep 10th 2019, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of

it's employer specific, but my employer has promoted me, so I need to reach out to figure out how to make that kosher on my work permit. From what I understand I can just fill in a form to allow that.

It's the 'should have applied for PR within 6 months' thing that's worrying me!

So my TWP is still going to be valid even if I haven't applied for PR under the PNP class? And I can still apply under canadian experience class?
Old Sep 10th 2019, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Use below link for change to work permit

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...igibility.html

The work permit is still valid. Why would you wait for the 12 months for applying for PR under CEC when you could have done it straight away under the BC PNP programme and that is why within 6 months was mentioned
Old Sep 10th 2019, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Because it cost a lot of money for us to move here and we didn't have the minimum funds required by the time we got here i'm afraid. Also, like I said, I honestly had no idea there was a 6 month time limit on applying for PR through the PNP programme.

So I take it then that when I apply for PR, I can't use m PNP nomination for extra points in my profile now?
Old Sep 10th 2019, 9:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Your PNP nomination certificate will have an expiry date on it, they’re only valid for 180 days.

Was your work permit support letter included in your package automatically, or did you request one through your account?
Old Sep 10th 2019, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

I emailed my case worker for one and he supplied it via email
Old Sep 10th 2019, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

You could always see if you can get your employer to sponsor you with an LMIA and regular work permit and use that for PR if that 6 months limit is true.
Old Sep 11th 2019, 6:11 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...stions#anchor4
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...rocess#anchor4
I would contact your case worker and ask if it's possible for them to extend your nomination certificate.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Can I just clarify that I will still be able to apply for PR under the Canadian experience class though? Once I've been working here (in management) for 1 year?
Old Sep 12th 2019, 6:40 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

What are the conditions on your work permit - does it state that you can only work doing a specific job (NOC)? PNP nomination is often job specific - i.e. for certain types of jobs. When you say you have been promoted, does your 'new' job title meet the work permit restrictions - and is it what you received your PNP nomination for? If it doesn't then you may not be able do that job. For example - say I came to work as a hotel waiter with a work permit that stated that NOC/job title - and then they promoted me to become a dining room manager, then my original work permit wouldn't be valid as I was no longer doing the job I was given Provincial Nomination for or that was on my work permit... but I think that's mainly when it results in a demotion..

I suggest you have an in depth discussion with your case worker, ask if your original nomination can be extended... and if you can change your position and still retain it.. I would check into this asap - you don't want to be in a position where you could be considered to be working illegally. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-code-t13.html

Information about asking for extensions can be found on this pdf (opens in a new tab, no download) https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/cb...Guide.pdf.aspx

In honesty, I don't know if you would be able to apply for EE under CEC as you no longer meet the PNP Nomination requirements as you haven't submitted your full PR application within the time limit...

Calling Snowy!

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 12th 2019 at 6:52 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

The NOC hasn't changed, they basically want to move me from being located solely within one pub to roaming between different locations but the job description and duties are still the same
Old Sep 12th 2019, 8:17 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sammilc
The NOC hasn't changed, they basically want to move me from being located solely within one pub to roaming between different locations but the job description and duties are still the same
Is your work permit location specific? Could you clarify under which NOC / PNP stream you originally applied... were you working in BC on an IEC previously? The list for PNP in the food and beverage / hotels / recreational is pretty specific.. and doesn't seem to include managers.. https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/87...July2.pdf.aspx

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 12th 2019 at 8:22 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2019, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, but I have contacted my case worker to ask to change this
Old Sep 12th 2019, 8:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Sammilc
Yes, but I have contacted my case worker to ask to change this
But you haven't met one of the requirements of your PNP nomination - to submit your application for permanent residency within the time period designated - before your PNP nomination expired... and it's expired now..

Sorry that you didn't get a response to your other post last month : Being promoted while on an employer specific work permit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.