Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Please help, international student apply for PR in the U.S

Please help, international student apply for PR in the U.S

Old Oct 20th 2002, 5:36 pm
mmqqd

Default Please help, international student apply for PR in the U.S

Hi, I got my master degree from U.S. Now I am filling for Canada PR as a “Skilled Worker�, but during the Self-Assessment, I got confused by the points system. Can anybody give me some suggestion on the following questions? Thanks in advanced.

1. Can US education be equivalent to Canada education? Can I get 5 points on my U.S master degree for the part of “Adaptability�?

2. For English proficiency, English is not my native language. I have been staying in the U.S for study and work for about 4 years. Should I use high proficiency or moderate proficiency? Can I give myself 16 points? Do I still need to take the IELTS test?

3. I am currently working in the U.S. Can US working experience be equivalent to Canada experience? Can I get 5 points on my U.S master degree for the part of “Adaptability�?

4. Does no-pay part-time work count for work experience? I did volunteer part-time work for my school projects, but it’s related to my study area, my current work and also the position I am applying for in Canadian PR application.

5. Does full-time paid internship count for work experience?

Thank you very much.

Old Oct 20th 2002, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

bighead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please help, international student apply for PR in the U.S

1. no..

2. if you are proficient, then do so... the language proficiency test results are reasonable proof of competency that a visa officer will consider in evaluating capability in the language.. usually, if your medium of instruction in your education was english, and your work environment is english, its reasonable to assume that you are competent in use of the language.. test results remove any doubts... so you decide if you need to take the test...

3. no..

4. no..

5. yes..

work is activity performed or services rendered that would entrail a reasonable expectation of compensation... painting walls for food stamps is work... painting walls for habitat for humanity isnt...

Originally posted by mmqqd:
Hi, I got my master degree from U.S. Now I am filling for Canada PR as a “Skilled Worker�, but during the Self-Assessment, I got confused by the points system. Can anybody give me some suggestion on the following questions? Thanks in advanced.

1. Can US education be equivalent to Canada education? Can I get 5 points on my U.S master degree for the part of “Adaptability�?

2. For English proficiency, English is not my native language. I have been staying in the U.S for study and work for about 4 years. Should I use high proficiency or moderate proficiency? Can I give myself 16 points? Do I still need to take the IELTS test?

3. I am currently working in the U.S. Can US working experience be equivalent to Canada experience? Can I get 5 points on my U.S master degree for the part of “Adaptability�?

4. Does no-pay part-time work count for work experience? I did volunteer part-time work for my school projects, but it’s related to my study area, my current work and also the position I am applying for in Canadian PR application.

5. Does full-time paid internship count for work experience?

Thank you very much.
Old Oct 21st 2002, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

bighead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Please help, international student apply for PR in the U.S

you need to submit transcripts of all educational credentials... transcripts and notarized copies are not the same thing..

a transcript is a certified true copy of the credential (a copy of the credential, that is attested with the seal of the institution and a certification from a competent authority of that institution that the reproduction is a true copy, usually affixed with a seal that says something like "Verfied and found to be a true copy of the original, and as per the university records" or something similar)...

the transcripts also need to be in sealed envelopes... and this should be done by the institution itself (they seal the envelope, and affix a rubber stamp seal over the flap)...

if your undergrad degree transcripts are not in english, you can request for 2 of them, keep one sealed, open the other, get it translated and then get the translation notarized... send the original native language transcript, along with the notarized translation...

you should easily be able to find places where you can get the documents translated quite easily... start in the yellow pages...

Originally posted by mmqqd:
Thank you bighead

I forgot one question about the Education certification. Do I need to submit all copies of my diploma and transcriptions, or just my highest degree?

My problem is I got my master degree from an American university, but my bachelor degree was received from another country where English is not native language. It would take me long time to request Notarized documentation with English translation.