Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PLEASE HELP! - can I change from Buffalo to London?

PLEASE HELP! - can I change from Buffalo to London?

Old Jul 5th 2005, 11:39 am
Just Joined

NRhodes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PLEASE HELP! - can I change from Buffalo to London?

I am applying for PR under the overseas common law sponsor class. I'm from the UK, living in Vancouver, my Canadian partner is sponsoring me. He was approved as a sponsor on June 28th and now the application is in Buffalo waiting to be processed.

My lawyer recommended I mail the application to Buffalo.... Now, I look at timelines and see that Buffalo takes 8-18 months to process, compared to London which takes just 4-9 months. How reliable are these timelines?

I'm devastated - did I receieve bad advice from my lawyer? Am I able to get Buffalo to forward the application to London? The potential shorter processing time will save us thousands of dollars as I'll have a work permit sooner. We can't afford this period of time where I'm not working as it is.

Please help - to my knowledge, Buffalo haven't started processing the application yet.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:15 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PLEASE HELP! - can I change from Buffalo to London?

First - no, you cannot change visa post.

Second - reported timelines are only for already completed cases in past 12 months, Those are not current or future timelines and no prediction about future timelines can be made on the basis of past timelines. By the time your application is completed timelines will be different and it may be London that will be slower.

Cool down.

Originally Posted by NRhodes
I am applying for PR under the overseas common law sponsor class. I'm from the UK, living in Vancouver, my Canadian partner is sponsoring me. He was approved as a sponsor on June 28th and now the application is in Buffalo waiting to be processed.

My lawyer recommended I mail the application to Buffalo.... Now, I look at timelines and see that Buffalo takes 8-18 months to process, compared to London which takes just 4-9 months. How reliable are these timelines?

I'm devastated - did I receieve bad advice from my lawyer? Am I able to get Buffalo to forward the application to London? The potential shorter processing time will save us thousands of dollars as I'll have a work permit sooner. We can't afford this period of time where I'm not working as it is.

Please help - to my knowledge, Buffalo haven't started processing the application yet.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

NRhodes is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
First - no, you cannot change visa post.

Second - reported timelines are only for already completed cases in past 12 months, Those are not current or future timelines and no prediction about future timelines can be made on the basis of past timelines. By the time your application is completed timelines will be different and it may be London that will be slower.

Cool down.
Thanks Andrew. That's depressing though that I can't change....

Is Buffalo traditionally slower? Has Buffalo EVER been quicker in past years? What;s the benefit to Buffalo? Sorry - I'm just trying to figure out why my lawyer would recommend I send it there in the first place.
Old Jul 5th 2005, 12:51 pm
Happy Canadian PR

ozinca will become famous soon enoughozinca will become famous soon enough

We had the exact same questions as yourself except we did our application ourselves. Basically, your file has gone to Buffalo as you have been legally admitted to Canada and as you applied as an outside applicant, Buffalo is the nearest visa post to process outside family class applications for those living in the USA or Canada. If you were living in the UK, then the file would have gone to London.

Best wishes for a speedy processing time.
Ozinca