please give me some advice

Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:01 am
Just Joined

paulah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default please give me some advice

Hi
I haven't been on this forum for about 6 months now. I am sponsoring my husband from England. I have dual citizenship and thought this would be an easy process. His apllication for permanent residency has been in process since April 2007. His medical results were received shortly afterwards. In July they requested more info as he had 2 minor convictions and one more serious one in 1978-1979. He did not spend time in prison, just fines and a one-year suspended sentence. He has had no criminal activity for the past 29 years. He is now 50. We hired a UK criminal lawyer as they wanted confirmation that these convictions are spent and to raise any police records regarding these convictions. We did as asked and the lawyer said there were no longer any records held anywhere and confirmed the convictions are spent. I didn't think this would take long after that, so I moved to Victoria B.C. to set up a home for us etc. which I did. I emailed immigration back in Sept and got a reply saying my husbands application with the new info is being reviewed by an immigration officer. Now his processing time is up (8 months for London) I have emailed them again and no response as of yet. I feel I do have a right to know what the delay is and also they have said he is inadmissable until this is all completed. Does anyone have a similar situation or any advice of hope they can offer?
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:17 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: please give me some advice

Nothing seems to be easy for CIC. You've been waiting since April 2007? Around 9 months? There are complications to extend the usual 6 months.

Ours was a straightforward spousal sponsorship situation but CIC threw in a complication and it took nearly three years. Even when the complication was removed it was another 11 months.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:25 am
Just Joined

paulah is an unknown quantity at this point

So hopefully it doesn't mean it's a refusal just because it's taking longer.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:31 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

As many have experienced already there is no such thing as "straightforward case". It just doesn't exist. No matter what some who got smoothly through the process will try to tell you. They didn't have "straightforward case", they simply prepared their application package better and assume that everyone can do the same.
Old Jan 7th 2008, 3:33 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

From my own experience CIC (as with other national government depts in Canada) seems riddled with red tape and little common sense.

Everything seems to take ages, so I would think your case was simply taking longer because of that complication.

I wouldn't be surprised if staff pick up applications, see something out of the ordinary that they don't know about and then put it back in the hope someone else picks it up after them.