Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Please give me a little insight!!!! :)

Please give me a little insight!!!! :)

Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:24 am
Just Joined

newbie_2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please give me a little insight!!!! :)

Hi guys this is my first post! I hope someone can help me out here

I'm from the UK, I will be applying for the IEC (working holiday visa) for a year, then looking to extend it for another year which means ill be there for 24 months in total. After working for 6 months in Manitoba; i'll be applying for the PNP and then apply for PR.

The thing is, i'm enrolled in University here in the UK. I'll be taking a 2 year break (the maximum break they'll allow me)to go to Canada on my IEC. By the time i leave the UK (next summer) I would have completed my first year but i'll have 2 years left in my course which i'm looking to complete after I receive PR. Even whilst finishing my course, i'll still be back in Winnipeg 5 months throughout the year with all my holidays.

So my question is to you guys; do you honestly think 24 months in Canada, will be enough time for me to apply for the PNP (let's say theoretically I get a job straightaway), get accepted for the PNP, then apply for PR and receive PR? Because from what I understand if I just leave England after 24 months to get back to University in time, and leave my employer (which is how i'll be eligible for the PNP to begin with) then my PR application will get cancelled?

So just to sum it up; do you think 24 months will be enough time for me to receive PR via the Manitoba PNP?

I'm truly sorry if I've confused anyone or if i put my post in the wrong place but i would SO appreciate it if someone could give me some insight here...

Thank you

p.s this forum is really great & should be government funded

p.p.s I understand my life plan is sounding a wee bit theoretical right now but we all gotta start somewhere! plus need to apply for the IEC visa in the next couple of months so some insight would be lovely...
Old Nov 4th 2013, 11:55 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PLEASE GIVE ME A LITTLE INSIGHT!!!!! :)

No idea, but welcome!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

It took me 21 months to get my PR as a skilled worker, so you may be cutting it a bit fine. This was over 3 years ago, I think the backlog is even bigger now!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

Amtobi is an unknown quantity at this point

Some advise from someone who is not yet in Canada, but has been working on getting there for 2 years and has moved country once before... and someone who is a planner... I always need plans with time frames.

1) Things will always take longer than you think
2) You will need lots and lots and lots of patience
3) There is no fool proof plan, you just have to go with the flow and think of back up plans B, C, D
4) Finish your studies!! Traveling the world on completed qualifications is infinitely easier. If you have to go to Canada now why don't you continue your studies there? Canadian qualifications will be more easily accepted. Check if your UK qualification that you are getting is recognized in Canada

Life is what happens inbetween the plans we make
Old Nov 4th 2013, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Caretaker thank u! Appreciate the hospitality

The unduchables cutting it fine indeed... perhaps even setting myself up for failure?

Amtobi! plan plan plan yes you're probably right about finishing school...I may just postpone this

Thank u guys for replying & making me feel welcome So much more friendly in here compared to that other "forum" lol
X
Old Nov 4th 2013, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not familiar with the PNP personally, so I can't really comment on the specifics of your plan, but here's my 2 cents on coming to Canada at this point in your life.

I would say that you could probably have a good time postponing your studies for a gap year or two if you just wanted the experience of Canada for a bit, but seeing as you plan to actually end up here permanently, it's probably best to wait until you've finished university. You give yourself way more space and puts yourself in a better position to really commit to Canada. I'm not saying that you wouldn't mentally do that anyway, but you can see how there could be complications that make it difficult, what with university drawing you back to the UK. Employers might be wary to hire someone who still has significant ties back home. Money is another issue, obviously... It's not quite as simple as just hopping on a plane & arriving! Having that on top of ongoing student fees/loans is not a position that I would personally put myself in.

Of course, this is just my opinion because I still think that your plan *could* work theoretically, but you'd have to be pretty courageous and lucky, I think!
Old Nov 4th 2013, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Please give me a little insight!!!! :)

here my words of wisdom (if there is such thing):

Working for 6 month and then applying for PNP and having PR within 2 years can work (note I say "can" not "will").. BUT ..make sure you have as well a finished education (minimum is one year with diploma) as that would be needed as requirement for PNP.

Normally I'd say the time frame is right, but we have seen so many changes lately and I am afraid we are not through yet, so I have grown very carefully.

I know of someone who (after working 6 months), applied to PNP..got it well within 3 months, handed in PR application right away and has now done already his medical..if the speed keeps up, he might manage the whole process within a year. He is highly skilled though, had his IELTS handy when the asked him (even though he is in a higher NOC code) and was very prepared in generally.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is possible. Worked for me, check out timeline below. I'm not sure high or low skills has a lot to do with it. My job was NOC C .
Good luck.
Old Nov 5th 2013, 7:03 am
Just Joined

KuroKuro the Uni commitment is the only thing holding me back otherwise I wouldn't have given the adventure a second thought, I understand it's going to be abit of a gamble & it's something I seriously have to think about...

Manitobain I understand graduating & having my Bsc at hand could only broaden my prospects into having a successful migration & again it's something I need to seriously consider

GC44 Thanks for the inspiration! I can only hope my journey will be as successful as yours if i manage to take the plunge!

You guys are amazing thank you for the replies X!
Old Nov 5th 2013, 7:10 am
Just Joined

Manitobain thanks for telling me about the guy you know sounds like his process is going swimmingly!! Preparation is key i guess Gives me hope!