Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

please can you advise? Buffalo or London?

Wikiposts

please can you advise? Buffalo or London?

Old Nov 28th 2002, 10:01 am
Just Joined

midnight02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default please can you advise? Buffalo or London?

My husband and I are in British Columbia. We arrived last month as temporary residents with a two year work permit.

We wish to apply for permanent residence and had planned to do so before we left the UK. We got the whole application ready to send off - including the bankers draft drawn on canadian funds - and then received a call from the High Commission ( I had faxed them a question), who told us we would get 10 more points if we waited until we had arrived in Canada to apply.

We now wish to apply but don't know whether we should apply to Buffalo or London.

We do not want to have to travel back to the UK for an interview if we can avoid it. On the other hand, will it be much quicker to apply to London? I read that if you do not apply to the country of permanent residency you will have to definitely go for an interview - does this take ages?

The other problem is that we have a bankers draft made payable to 'the receiver general for canada'. Apparently, although you have to pay the same fees, the Buffalo HC wants a cheque made payable to the 'canadian consulate general'. Does this mean that if we do apply to buffalo, then they will not accept the bankers draft we already have?

Finally, someone told us that at the end of this year Buffalo is going to stop taking applications from UK citizens - is that fact or fiction? As I looked at the Buffalo web site and it made no mention.

I would be grateful for any advice that any one can offer on these matters.

Thanks
Old Dec 10th 2002, 5:25 am
Just Joined

yohann is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: please can you advise? Buffalo or London?

I would apply to London. I applied to Buffalo and a friend applied to London. His application is being processed much quicker than mine.