Please advise on my situation

Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:55 am
Just Joined

Deadgoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please advise on my situation

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping I can get sound advice on my circumstances.

I currently work for a large global American bank based in London (the UK one), my current role requires a lot of travel, I don't need to be based in London to do this role and I am able to work remotely.

I have a Canadian girlfriend, we met in London and were together there for a year, then she moved back to Canada and I travel over approx every 2 months and work remotely from there for a week or 2. All in all we have been together for 2 years but have never formally lived together.

We have made the decision that we want to settle in Canada, which means I need to move there (Toronto), we hope to do this early next year. My company are happy for me to be based there either working remotely or we have offices in Toronto also. However as there is no reason for me to be working in Toronto (my role has zero ties with the Canadian business) my boss has informed my that they won't be able to sponsor me.

What are my options here?
Am I able to simply work remotely in Canada whilst being contracted to the UK?
Is there any precedent of companies changing payroll whilst not sponsoring someone?
How would taxes, healthcare, bank accounts etc work?
If I just came as a visitor would there be any additional complications given the amount of travel I'd need to do?

Appreciate any help.