Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Planning to move to Canada...am I too old?

Planning to move to Canada...am I too old?

Old Sep 24th 2016, 1:10 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 24
Jodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Planning to move to Canada...am I too old?

Hiya,

First time using such a site and I'm looking forward to it.

I'm 34 with an 8yr old and I would love to move to Canada, however I think my age may have a negative impact on the application process. I'm currently completing a masters degree in NOC B and hoping that will help. My husband lives in Africa and I live in London and I would like him to join us, however don't know where to start or it it's worth it.

I would appreciate any help or a dive as to which I direction I should go down.

Thank you
Jodenter is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2016, 1:18 pm
  #2  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,092
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move to Canada...am I too old?

Are you wondering if you're too old just in a general moving sense, or too old for the visa app because you won't score as many points due to age? If the latter, then you'll need to check you're scoring enough on the CRS to be in with a chance of being invited to apply for PR (you'll need above approx 460 or so), if the former then I'll move your thread to the main Canada forum which is for non related general queries.

HTH.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2016, 1:32 pm
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 24
Jodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move to Canada...am I too old?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Are you wondering if you're too old just in a general moving sense, or too old for the visa app because you won't score as many points due to age? If the latter, then you'll need to check you're scoring enough on the CRS to be in with a chance of being invited to apply for PR (you'll need above approx 460 or so), if the former then I'll move your thread to the main Canada forum which is for non related general queries.

HTH.
Yes for visa app...due to it being points based...my score at the moment with both my husband and I stands at 455...
Jodenter is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2016, 1:42 pm
  #4  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,092
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move to Canada...am I too old?

Originally Posted by Jodenter
Yes for visa app...due to it being points based...my score at the moment with both my husband and I stands at 455...
You're in with a chance with that score, it's gone as low as 450 before although not recently, but at 455 it's definitely worth applying.

Is that with the Masters or will you get more points once you've completed it? If it's counting the Masters that you haven't finished yet, will you lose points once it's done due to turning 35, or is your birthday after you graduate?
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2016, 1:48 pm
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 24
Jodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move to Canada...am I too old?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You're in with a chance with that score, it's gone as low as 450 before although not recently, but at 455 it's definitely worth applying.

Is that with the Masters or will you get more points once you've completed it? If it's counting the Masters that you haven't finished yet, will you lose points once it's done due to turning 35, or is your birthday after you graduate?
That's with the maters I've just started I will complete it age 36 and graduate that same year..and hopefully apply for jobs & start the process...you've given me hope so thanks very much...I'm just trying to get all my eggs in a row as there is so much to do...so many forms & processes I just want to make sure I'm going Dow the best route for me & my family...London life for me has now become over rated and I'm looking for better quality of life...
Jodenter is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:03 pm
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Somewhere between Vancouver & St Johns
Posts: 19,867
Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move to Canada...am I too old?

Originally Posted by Jodenter
That's with the maters I've just started I will complete it age 36 and graduate that same year..and hopefully apply for jobs & start the process...you've given me hope so thanks very much...I'm just trying to get all my eggs in a row as there is so much to do...so many forms & processes I just want to make sure I'm going Dow the best route for me & my family...London life for me has now become over rated and I'm looking for better quality of life...
Just be aware that by the time you are ready to apply that things might have changed as the Government are looking to changing yet again the rules for foreign workers.
Ottawa poised to ease rules for temporary foreign worker program - The Globe and Mail
Temporary foreign worker program changes worry Alberta labour leader | Calgary Herald

No definite rule changes have been announced and passed yet but Im guessing applying today as opposed to say in 12 months or 24 months time will be slightly different.
Former Lancastrian is offline  
Old Sep 24th 2016, 2:10 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 24
Jodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move to Canada...am I too old?

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Just be aware that by the time you are ready to apply that things might have changed as the Government are looking to changing yet again the rules for foreign workers.
Ottawa poised to ease rules for temporary foreign worker program - The Globe and Mail
Temporary foreign worker program changes worry Alberta labour leader | Calgary Herald


No definite rule changes have been announced and passed yet but Im guessing applying today as opposed to say in 12 months or 24 months time will be slightly different.
Thanks for those links...I was thinking rules would change within the next two years...I have a bachelors degree however I wanted to drive up my points by completing a masters...thank you
Jodenter is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2016, 2:54 pm
  #8  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Maple Ridge, Super Natural British Columbia
Posts: 2,071
withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move to Canada...am I too old?

I was 44 when we came over as TFWs and then did Express Entry last year at 46...
withabix is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2016, 3:57 pm
  #9  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Posts: 24
Jodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond reputeJodenter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move to Canada...am I too old?

Originally Posted by withabix
I was 44 when we came over as TFWs and then did Express Entry last year at 46...
That's amazing you've answered my question...can I ask what trade federal skill you applied under?

Thanks for that
Jodenter is offline  
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 4:44 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
 
Caribou Jones's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Location: Calgary
Posts: 65
Caribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move to Canada...am I too old?

Wanting to join in this thread, unless I need to post separately.

Just turned 50, pre-approved LMIA is getting my specific name on it, work permit due for two years, medical done and awaiting all of the documents to come back to me through my employers lawyer and they want me there 1st November. Also, previously lived and worked in Montreal and Vancouver (2003-05) totaling 20 months employment in the past.

The employer tells me that they are obliged to put me through the immigration process according to CIC, but suggest it would be better if I applied EE as it would be quicker.

So the question is two-fold in that, assuming I wait until four months in on the work permit, does this give me the extra points for 2 years Canadian work history and given that I'm 50, what is the best/safest/quickest route to PR?

Or am I just an old duffer that should just see this as a potential four year maximum before having to come back? (And does my previous 20 months eat in to that too?)
Caribou Jones is offline  
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 6:59 pm
  #11  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
christmasoompa's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: In a darkened room somewhere.............
Posts: 34,092
christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move to Canada...am I too old?

Originally Posted by Caribou Jones
Wanting to join in this thread, unless I need to post separately.

Just turned 50, pre-approved LMIA is getting my specific name on it, work permit due for two years, medical done and awaiting all of the documents to come back to me through my employers lawyer and they want me there 1st November. Also, previously lived and worked in Montreal and Vancouver (2003-05) totaling 20 months employment in the past.

The employer tells me that they are obliged to put me through the immigration process according to CIC, but suggest it would be better if I applied EE as it would be quicker.

So the question is two-fold in that, assuming I wait until four months in on the work permit, does this give me the extra points for 2 years Canadian work history and given that I'm 50, what is the best/safest/quickest route to PR?

Or am I just an old duffer that should just see this as a potential four year maximum before having to come back? (And does my previous 20 months eat in to that too?)
It would be better to start your own thread, yes. It's just not great forum 'netiquette' to hijack somebody else's thread with your own questions, and you'll also find you get more responses as most won't look at questions tagged on to the end of an older thread.

But just to clarify there's no obligation at all on your employer to help you get PR, not sure why they think there is! You'd be applying under EE anyway, with or without their help. You won't need the extra points for Canadian work experience if you've got a LMIA, even without it you'll be scoring well over the 480ish required to get PR so you can apply anytime as long as your employer will give you a written permanent job offer.

HTH.
christmasoompa is offline  
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 8:54 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Maple Ridge, Super Natural British Columbia
Posts: 2,071
withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move to Canada...am I too old?

Originally Posted by Jodenter
That's amazing you've answered my question...can I ask what trade federal skill you applied under?

Thanks for that
My NOC is 0711 (Construction Manager).

I came as a TFW in 2013 with a job/LMO and initially applied for PR under BC PNP about 9 months later.

By the time I got a Nomination I had already dumped the PNP stream and switched to Express Entry under CEC (qualified under CEC and FSW) in early 2015 when it started. Have been PR for over a year now.

Last edited by withabix; Oct 3rd 2016 at 8:57 pm.
withabix is offline  
Old Oct 3rd 2016, 8:58 pm
  #13  
Forum Regular
 
Caribou Jones's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2016
Location: Calgary
Posts: 65
Caribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond reputeCaribou Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move to Canada...am I too old?

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It would be better to start your own thread, yes. It's just not great forum 'netiquette' to hijack somebody else's thread with your own questions, and you'll also find you get more responses as most won't look at questions tagged on to the end of an older thread.

But just to clarify there's no obligation at all on your employer to help you get PR, not sure why they think there is! You'd be applying under EE anyway, with or without their help. You won't need the extra points for Canadian work experience if you've got a LMIA, even without it you'll be scoring well over the 480ish required to get PR so you can apply anytime as long as your employer will give you a written permanent job offer.

HTH.
Perfect, thank you.

(Had thought that as this thread was about being "too old", it *might* have been relevant - understood! )
Caribou Jones is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.