Planning to move to Canada

Old Dec 17th 2019, 11:52 am
Just Joined

Cold coffee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Planning to move to Canada

Hi,

I am writing this in the hope that I can get some much needed advice before I send off for a visa. I am planning on moving to Canada with my wife and 3 year old. I am 34 and she is 31. She is a registered nurse in the UK and I am a high school teacher. We believe that Express Entry would be our best visa option and the one we would explore. However, if we were to be accepted for this, what are the chances or whether anybody knows how to go about this, to have her mother brought to Canada too?

Also, what is the current job market like in Canada? I know it can vary from provinces (We're looking at Alberta or Nova Scotia). I am assuming here that my wife would find employment if she did the extra testing she has to do (She does cosmetic nursing now with her own business, is there much of a market in Canada for it?), but my concern is employment for myself as a teacher. I have read that is a very difficult job to get into in Canada.

Apologies for the wordy message and ton of questions (How British by the way), any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Shaun.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 12:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Planning to move to Canada

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by Cold coffee
We believe that Express Entry would be our best visa option and the one we would explore.
It's certainly the quickest/easiest route over by a mile (other than spousal sponsorship), if you qualify. Have you checked your score on the CRS? That's the crucial bit.

However, if we were to be accepted for this, what are the chances or whether anybody knows how to go about this, to have her mother brought to Canada too?
No chance, at the same time - the only dependents that can go on the visa application are a spouse and dependent children. Your mother-in-law would either have to qualify for a visa in her own right, or if she wanted to move permanently and had no other route over, she'd have to wait for your daughter to sponsor her for PR, which would take several years after becoming a PR herself. So check to see if there is any way of her getting her own visa.

Also, what is the current job market like in Canada? I know it can vary from provinces (We're looking at Alberta or Nova Scotia). I am assuming here that my wife would find employment if she did the extra testing she has to do (She does cosmetic nursing now with her own business, is there much of a market in Canada for it?), but my concern is employment for myself as a teacher. I have read that is a very difficult job to get into in Canada.
Your wife shouldn't struggle from my understanding, but unfortunately you're absolutely right regarding your job. Just in case you haven't found it yet, here is our Wiki article on teaching in Canada - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Teaching_in_Canada

This forum is for visa related queries, so best to put any questions about the job market on a separate thread in the main Canada forum where hopefully more people will see it.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Getting registered as a nurse isn’t cheap or quick and once meeting all requirements she will have to sit NCLEX but expect a rough processing time of over 12 months. Suggest searching to main Canada forum on nursing
Old Dec 17th 2019, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

It's certainly the quickest/easiest route over by a mile (other than spousal sponsorship), if you qualify. Have you checked your score on the CRS? That's the crucial bit.

No chance, at the same time - the only dependents that can go on the visa application are a spouse and dependent children. Your mother-in-law would either have to qualify for a visa in her own right, or if she wanted to move permanently and had no other route over, she'd have to wait for your daughter to sponsor her for PR, which would take several years after becoming a PR herself. So check to see if there is any way of her getting her own visa.

Your wife shouldn't struggle from my understanding, but unfortunately you're absolutely right regarding your job. Just in case you haven't found it yet, here is our Wiki article on teaching in Canada

This forum is for visa related queries, so best to put any questions about the job market on a separate thread in the main Canada forum where hopefully more people will see it.

HTH, best of luck.
Thank you for the reply.

I have not personally checked the score. I will do it once the site is back up and running.

Yes, regarding her mother, it does seem extremely difficult. She is in her 50's now, so I'm not sure he'd have much luck getting a visa on her own, she has NVQ's as her highest form of education for work. I did see something called a Super Visa for parents and grandparents (I was suppose to mention that in my opening post), stating someone with PR could apply for a 2 year visa providing they don't work and we can cover the cost. I'm not expert however, so may be way off.

And thank you for the link.

Again, thanks.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Getting registered as a nurse isn’t cheap or quick and once meeting all requirements she will have to sit NCLEX but expect a rough processing time of over 12 months. Suggest searching to main Canada forum on nursing
Yes.

We recognise the cost etc and have contacted the relevant authorities in Canada. We're willing to pay if it means being able to move.

I'll check it out, thank you.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 1:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have not personally checked the score. I will do it once the site is back up and running.
It's working for me? Do make sure you're using the official site - https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigr...d/crs-tool.asp. You'll need above approx 450 as a rough guide.

Yes, regarding her mother, it does seem extremely difficult. She is in her 50's now, so I'm not sure he'd have much luck getting a visa on her own, she has NVQ's as her highest form of education for work.
That doesn't sound overly promising tbh, but do check her score too just in case. If not, she'll need another route over i.e. a job offer. You're right about the supervisa, but it still won't be possible for your mother-in-law to accompany you on that, as your wife will have to work in Canada for a while first to meet the financial requirements. And of course it's only a temporary visa, but it's definitely an option if there is no other way.

Best of luck.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes.

We recognise the cost etc and have contacted the relevant authorities in Canada. We're willing to pay if it means being able to move.

I'll check it out, thank you.
I would also suggest your wife checks her transcripts and see if she has clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult. Any deficiencies will result in courses which will add further delays some courses may be online or having to attend a course physically in Canada. I am a nurse working in Nova Scotia and trained way back in 1986 and still had to do a few courses to meet requirements and things have gotten harder since I registered in 2010 and sat exam
Old Dec 17th 2019, 8:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
It's working for me? Do make sure you're using the official site You'll need above approx 450 as a rough guide.

That doesn't sound overly promising tbh, but do check her score too just in case. If not, she'll need another route over i.e. a job offer. You're right about the supervisa, but it still won't be possible for your mother-in-law to accompany you on that, as your wife will have to work in Canada for a while first to meet the financial requirements. And of course it's only a temporary visa, but it's definitely an option if there is no other way.

Best of luck.
It was not working for me earlier. I have since done it, the score was 490.Thanks for the help.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
I would also suggest your wife checks her transcripts and see if she has clinical and theory hours in Paeds, Mental Health, Obstetrics and Adult. Any deficiencies will result in courses which will add further delays some courses may be online or having to attend a course physically in Canada. I am a nurse working in Nova Scotia and trained way back in 1986 and still had to do a few courses to meet requirements and things have gotten harder since I registered in 2010 and sat exam
Hi,

Yes we have had a look. Her aim would be to work in the cosmetic nurse industry, rather than at a hospital.

We have contacted some authorities that are relevant and are waiting for a reply.
Old Dec 17th 2019, 10:09 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Yes we have had a look. Her aim would be to work in the cosmetic nurse industry, rather than at a hospital.

We have contacted some authorities that are relevant and are waiting for a reply.
It doesn't matter what area she intends to work in. If she wants to register she has to meet all the criteria
Old Dec 18th 2019, 12:58 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It doesn't matter what area she intends to work in. If she wants to register she has to meet all the criteria
+1 - registration as a nurse with a Provincial body is a requirement to work in the industry.. https://csasn.org/
Old Dec 18th 2019, 10:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We have contacted the Canadian Nurse Association. My Wife and I recognise that we would have to meet the standards and extra testing required by Canadian authorities.

We have also contacted the provinces that interest us.

Thanks.
Old Dec 18th 2019, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

It was not working for me earlier. I have since done it, the score was 490.Thanks for the help.
seems on the high side from what you have said. If you post the breakdown we can take a look and double check. Some of the questions can be a bit misleading. 490 isnt impossible if you have Canadian education or experience but not common either
Old Dec 18th 2019, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad

seems on the high side from what you have said. If you post the breakdown we can take a look and double check. Some of the questions can be a bit misleading. 490 isnt impossible if you have Canadian education or experience but not common either
Hi, I made a mistake. I entered TEF Canada for the language instead of the IELTS.

When I rectified it correctly, the score was 475. I put my wife forward instead of myself as the first person, as she is 3 years younger.

I imagine the score would be higher if we had offers of employment. Which is something we are now looking into. I am also considering getting my certificates done from a previous job I held for a number of years (Ventilation), to give myself a better chance of work instead of only having teaching as an option. My job prospects are our primary concern now, as my wife if she passes all the tests and meets the standards and criteria, would have a much better chance of finding employment than I do from what I have read.
Old Dec 18th 2019, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I made a mistake. I entered TEF Canada for the language instead of the IELTS.

When I rectified it correctly, the score was 475. I put my wife forward instead of myself as the first person, as she is 3 years younger.

I imagine the score would be higher if we had offers of employment. Which is something we are now looking into. I am also considering getting my certificates done from a previous job I held for a number of years (Ventilation), to give myself a better chance of work instead of only having teaching as an option. My job prospects are our primary concern now, as my wife if she passes all the tests and meets the standards and criteria, would have a much better chance of finding employment than I do from what I have read.
475 would almost certainly get you an invitation to apply, I.e. if that score is without a job offer you wouldn’t need one. If that score is without a job offer it still seems unusually high.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.