Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Pick up work permit at the border?!

Pick up work permit at the border?!

Old Mar 12th 2008, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold
Default Pick up work permit at the border?!

Hello,

I have a quick question. I have a job offer from a company in Montreal and am waiting for my CAQ approval for my work permit right now. I am a German citizen, currently residing in Spain and have worked in Canada on a work permit before from 2004 to 2007.

I have been through the procedure before and know how the process works but what my Human Resources person from that company just told me confuses me. She wrote me that after I get approval on my CAQ I can just fly to Canada and get my work permit at the border without applying for a work permit from here. As far as I know this is only possible for American citizens or people who already live inside Canada on a valid work permit. The usual process would be to submit it from outside the country. Can you help me clarify this?

Thanks a lot.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 2:57 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Pick up work permit at the border?!

Originally Posted by kleinluka
As far as I know this is only possible for American citizens or people who already live inside Canada on a valid work permit.
You don't need a visa to enter Canada, so you can apply at the border. I assume you don't need police checks or medicals for your work permit?
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

kleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to beholdkleinluka is a splendid one to behold

As far as I know I don't. But I was under the assumption that you can only apply for a work permit from within Canada if you are already living there on a valid work permit. I know I don't need a visa to ENTER canada, but I need one to work there. That's the whole point.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:24 am

As far as I know I don't. But I was under the assumption that you can only apply for a work permit from within Canada
Nope. Lots of UK nationals on here have successfully obtained a work permit at the port-of-entry. Do a few forum searches and you should get the idea.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:34 am
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
Nope. Lots of UK nationals on here have successfully obtained a work permit at the port-of-entry. Do a few forum searches and you should get the idea.
OP is not a UK national.
However, citizens of Germany do not require a visa to visit Canada.
As bazzzz says, your visitor's exemption gets you in, then you get the work permit. This is exactly how I will be entering Canada in 2 weeks time. Believe me - I've checked and double checked.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

This is what the official CIC website says, it seems clear to me.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/ap...ble.asp#inside

Eligibility to apply as you enter Canada

You can apply for a work permit as you enter Canada, but only if you meet the following requirements:

* You are from the United States, Greenland or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon. I am german.So I don't meet the requirements.
* You do not need a medical examination (or you already have a medical certificate).
* You do not need a temporary resident visa to visit Canada and your job does not need a labour market opinion from HRSDC. (See Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion.)
* You hold a labour market opinion from HRSDC.

Andrew Miller, could you please clarify?
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Husband has gone through the process and we received a letter saying show this at POE and we would received TWP at the border. So flying on the 31st March
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:53 am

This is what the official CIC website says, it seems clear to me.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/ap...ble.asp#inside

Eligibility to apply as you enter Canada

You can apply for a work permit as you enter Canada, but only if you meet the following requirements:

* You are from the United States, Greenland or Saint-Pierre et Miquelon. I am german.So I don't meet the requirements.
Yep, I've seen that too, but it's not the reality on the ground. As long as you have all the required documents in your possession (certificates, job offer, LMO, etc), you'll be fine.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Husband has gone through the process and we received a letter saying show this at POE and we would received TWP at the border. So flying on the 31st March
Did you get this letter from the Canadian consulate? I've received a letter like this last time I got my WP but it was AFTER i applied at the consulate and I got it from the consulate. I just kind of doubt that only a LMO will be enough.

I would be quitting my job here and shipping everything I have to Canada. It's quite a big risk.

Last edited by kleinluka; Mar 12th 2008 at 3:57 am.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 3:58 am

I would be quitting my job here and shipping everything I have to Canada. It's quite a big risk.
If you're that worried, then you should just apply at the appropriate visa processing office. Or call CIC; they should be able to verify the procedure for you.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah I just e-mailed the company and told them about my concerns. I mean if the official CIC site says i can't do it then i probably shouldn't.

I would really like Andrew Miller to shed some light on this.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 4:58 am

You really are worrying about nothing. There are plenty of threads on this forum describing this process. For example:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481510
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Yeah maybe, but it's better to be clear on everything than to be sent back home without a job and all my belongings already cargo shipped to Montreal, isn't it?

Thanks for the link. It makes me feel a bit better about it. I will call my company tonight and see what they think about it.
Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Well here is what the immigration consultant they are using just e-mailed me:

"If you got a CAQ as a "travailleur des technologies de l'information" the process that you've been told is OK.. Check you CAQ"

So it looks like I really am worrying about nothing.

Old Mar 12th 2008, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We could have taken the risk and done everything at POE but we was applying without LMO as hubby was able to meet criteria for short occ list but decided to apply locally as a risk at POE as we are taking 3 dogs with us and not cheap. Whole process took 4 weeks and that includes having to send more paperwork. Very impressed

Last edited by Silverdragon102; Mar 12th 2008 at 5:49 am. Reason: add

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.