Physical presence

Old Apr 29th 2019, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

express01 is on a distinguished road
Question Physical presence

Hi,
We've been in Canada since 2010, firstly on a work permit and as a permanent resident since 2015. Both myself and my wife plus one daughter meet the requirements through the physical presence calculator to now finally apply for our Citizenship.

Our youngest daughter has been in the states at school for the last two years and I was wondering if this counts as presence or will she have to wait until she finishes school and returns to Canada fulltime,

Thank you for help

Old Apr 29th 2019, 5:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Physical presence

Originally Posted by express01
Our youngest daughter has been in the states at school for the last two years and I was wondering if this counts as presence or will she have to wait until she finishes school and returns to Canada fulltime,
Unfortunately being in education doesn't count as time in Canada. Can I count any time I’ve spent outside of Canada toward the physical presence requirement when applying for citizenship?

HTH.
Old Apr 29th 2019, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

express01 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I thought so but just wanted to get a second option.
Old Apr 29th 2019, 5:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by express01
Thanks, I thought so but just wanted to get a second option.
No probs. Do double check she's not eligible now as it sounds like she might be borderline. It just needs to have been 3 out of the previous 5 years from the date of application, so she may be able to scrape in now?