Photos for PR applications

Old Dec 4th 2018, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

glb19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Photos for PR applications

Hi,

My partner went to get his photos done for his PR application (common law sponsorship) the other week. We brought along the info sheet to the photographer about needing two photos with all the size specifications, and that one needed the studio name/date written on the back.

We didn't look at them both til we got home, and the one they wrote on the back of is the correct 50mm x 70mm size, but the second copy they cut at a much bigger size. As both need submitted, will this be a problem? I don't know if it's worth the trouble to go all the way back to the shop or not to have them re-cut it. Refusing to do it myself as I know I won't get the lines straight.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 7:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Photos for PR applications

They definitely need to be the right size - would be far less hassle to get them right now rather than have them rejected!

Could you just buy a cheap guillotine if you're worried about cutting them straight and don't want to go back to the shop?
Old Dec 4th 2018, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They definitely need to be the right size - would be far less hassle to get them right now rather than have them rejected!

Could you just buy a cheap guillotine if you're worried about cutting them straight and don't want to go back to the shop?
Oh trust me I'm one of those people who will still not get in straight even with a guillotine but yes you're probably right. I'll bring them back in.

Thank you.
Old Dec 4th 2018, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light

Definitely take them back, my photos for my PR card (not application) were exactly to specification in every way and had the right stamps on etc and they were rejected without explanation, the rejection meant the 2 month counter reset again as of me resubmitting them, replacement or additional document requests in PR applications can cost you months because the files will go on hold until the next time somebody is scheduled to glance at them.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kiowan
Definitely take them back, my photos for my PR card (not application) were exactly to specification in every way and had the right stamps on etc and they were rejected without explanation, the rejection meant the 2 month counter reset again as of me resubmitting them, replacement or additional document requests in PR applications can cost you months because the files will go on hold until the next time somebody is scheduled to glance at them.
If they were done correctly and still refused, how did you know what you were meant to fix when re-sending new ones?
Old Dec 5th 2018, 3:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glb19
If they were done correctly and still refused, how did you know what you were meant to fix when re-sending new ones?

It may have been something as simple as the originals were taken too many months prior. Normally the photos you supply when you apply for Permanent Residency are the photos that are used for your COPR and PR card - hence if it takes a year to process your application the photos would likely be requested again... or if for a subsequent PR card, it may just have been an over zealous officer.

Regardless, not meeting the requirement for photos / sending the incorrect size etc., on the outset of the application could result in your application being returned, so it's best to get it right the first time.

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 5th 2018 at 3:23 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2018, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glb19
It's possible nothing needed fixing. Many people with new photo requests report that it seemed somewhat arbitrary. I can be awkward, so I tested it - never understood why the first set of photos were rejected, so when they asked a second time for new ones (so a third set) I just sent the spare copies of the first ones again (which were stamped with when they were taken). That was accepted without question & is now the photo on my PR card.
Old Dec 6th 2018, 2:05 pm
Forum Regular

We got them done at Max Spilemann which is partnered with Timpson's.. so I went into Timpson's today to get them to check. He measured the smaller photo which I thought was definitely the right size, but said it was about 5mm too short. And there was no point measuring the other one as it was obviously massive.

Apparently they don't have the same machine capabilities so couldn't use the USB they gave to reprint them and nor do they have a proper guillotine to cut them either unless they're British passport size, so that was useless! Looks like we'll be trekking back to Max Spielmann on the weekend. Talk about last minute anxiety/stress as I'm wanting to get the application out before we fly to Canada for Christmas next week!
Old Dec 6th 2018, 2:47 pm
Knight of Constantinople

G0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond reputeG0ldie has a reputation beyond repute

Came across this guy via google:

https://markburnsphoto.co.uk/passport-and-visa-photos/

You can send him your photos for editing.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

Kiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of lightKiowan is a glorious beacon of light

Well I sent a set of photos with my PR application, then 1.5yrs later I got my PR and was requested to send photos off for my PR card so I got new ones done and sent them then within a few days I "landed" so the PR card request is automatically sent, then 2 months later I was asked for new photos with no explanation so I can only assume as they'd literally only just had a new set there was something wrong, I just didn't know what because they didn't say. They were done at Drug mart with a proper SLR camera and stamped and had correct details and I measured them and the proportions etc so im clueless. I got the replacement set done elsewhere and they were accepted. Not a clue, but if there's definitely something wrong you've found then fix it before sending. I hope you don't have to send photos with citizenship applications....they must have about 20 photos of my by now.

Oh, my suspicion at the time was they probably lost the first set of photos I sent in, I mean CIC are overwhelmed and extremely slow so I reckon they just lost the photos or they fell out when they opened the envelope or something so they just asked for new ones, that's my theory anyway.

Last edited by Kiowan; Dec 7th 2018 at 1:03 am.
Old Dec 7th 2018, 2:42 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Simply for information for those with a printer, a computer, a camera, confidence and a recognition that you can't trust anyone, even a good photographer, to do anything properly.
We have never used a professional photographer for any official photographs for decades. This includes all passport and all IRCC applications we have made.
We always read the photo requirements very carefully and we always take our own photographs. We ensure that the background is blank grey (fortunately our taste in decoration is boring so we have many walls that are light grey) and we arrange lighting to ensure no shadows.
I use an old 1.2 Mpixel Olympus that I've had forever.
I then use a free image processing app, I find Irfanview to be good, to size the subject so that when printed it lies within the stated requirements and use something like Word to replicate the cropped image.
Finally I print a page of images on good quality photograhic paper using a cheap Epson inkjet printer and cut to size using a sharp knife and a metal ruler..
I have only ever had one request from IRCC for another set and that was recently when they changed the size requirements after submission but before review.
Now I know that some will attest that this method should not be used but many official photographers provide the same service. There will be others who feel the need to have a professional sign and datestamp the photograph. We always submit our own names as photographer and in our recent citizenship application (where IRCC requested that the photograph reverse indicate the photographic studio) we simply stated our home address. All of this was accepted without question.
I recognise that some IRCC officials might feel the need to support the struggling professional photographic profession but in our experience the DIY approach can save money you just have to be careful and obey the rules and as this thread shows, not every photographer knows or cares what they are.
Note that I'm not suggesting or recommending that everyone does this, but if you feel you have the confidence then it can be done quite easily and both UK and IRCC find the products equally acceptable and as I've demonstrated you don't need expensive equipment to do it with......
Old Dec 7th 2018, 6:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
Simply for information for those with a printer, a computer, a camera, confidence and a recognition that you can't trust anyone, even a good photographer, to do anything properly.
We have never used a professional photographer for any official photographs for decades. This includes all passport and all IRCC applications we have made.
We always read the photo requirements very carefully and we always take our own photographs. We ensure that the background is blank grey (fortunately our taste in decoration is boring so we have many walls that are light grey) and we arrange lighting to ensure no shadows.
I use an old 1.2 Mpixel Olympus that I've had forever.
I then use a free image processing app, I find Irfanview to be good, to size the subject so that when printed it lies within the stated requirements and use something like Word to replicate the cropped image.
Finally I print a page of images on good quality photograhic paper using a cheap Epson inkjet printer and cut to size using a sharp knife and a metal ruler..
I have only ever had one request from IRCC for another set and that was recently when they changed the size requirements after submission but before review.
Now I know that some will attest that this method should not be used but many official photographers provide the same service. There will be others who feel the need to have a professional sign and datestamp the photograph. We always submit our own names as photographer and in our recent citizenship application (where IRCC requested that the photograph reverse indicate the photographic studio) we simply stated our home address. All of this was accepted without question.
I recognise that some IRCC officials might feel the need to support the struggling professional photographic profession but in our experience the DIY approach can save money you just have to be careful and obey the rules and as this thread shows, not every photographer knows or cares what they are.
Note that I'm not suggesting or recommending that everyone does this, but if you feel you have the confidence then it can be done quite easily and both UK and IRCC find the products equally acceptable and as I've demonstrated you don't need expensive equipment to do it with......

Sorry... but for Permanent Resident photos this advice should probably not be taken!!

I would hate for someone to follow this advice and have their application returned or refused for not complying with the requirements.
Immigration Canada REQUIRE that photos are taken by a commercial photographer for Permanent Resident applications - and that one photo has to be stamped and signed by the studio.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ace/photo.html
Your photos must be:

Taken by a commercial photographer.

The back of one photo must include:
  • the subject’s name and date of birth
  • the name and complete address of the photography studio
  • the date the photograph was taken
The photographer may use a stamp or handwrite this information. Stick-on labels are unacceptable.

That is not the same case for Citizenship photographs - hence why you could submit your own.

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 7th 2018 at 6:58 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 3:15 am
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Sorry... but for Permanent Resident photos this advice should probably not be taken!!
I would hate for someone to follow this advice and have their application returned or refused for not complying with the requirements.
Immigration Canada REQUIRE that photos are taken by a commercial photographer for Permanent Resident applications - and that one photo has to be stamped and signed by the studio.
I completely agree. My comment was not intended to offer advice to individuals on what they should do merely what they could do if they were so minded, and if you're not sure then the 'professionals' are out there to serve your needs.
My comment was made for information only and like you I'd be mortified if my comment was taken to mean that the method I described should be adopted blindly.
Anyone submitting their own photographs should understand that they may be rejected simply because they have not been taken professionally and I fully understood this when I submitted mine, but experience has taught me that well presented photos can be acceptable.
Old Dec 8th 2018, 4:08 am
Banned

Originally Posted by dave_j
I completely agree. My comment was not intended to offer advice to individuals on what they should do merely what they could do if they were so minded, and if you're not sure then the 'professionals' are out there to serve your needs.
My comment was made for information only and like you I'd be mortified if my comment was taken to mean that the method I described should be adopted blindly.
Anyone submitting their own photographs should understand that they may be rejected simply because they have not been taken professionally and I fully understood this when I submitted mine, but experience has taught me that well presented photos can be acceptable.
Yes, For Citizenship or Passport photographs, which have different requirements (as linked to, above) absolutely you could 'DIY..

However, for Permanent Residence applications the photo requirements appear to be much much stricter than they were - and different to a Citizenship or Passport photo requirement... as indicated on the guidelines for photos on the different applications.

Perhaps we should label that post 'don't try this at home'

I understand where you are coming from - when I did my application 14 odd years ago there were not the restrictions for PR application photos that there are now. I had mine taken in a photo booth, scanned them into my computer and using software freely available online for download, adjusted the sizes then printed them out on photographic paper and used a guillotine to cut them correctly.

As such, it's probably better not to suggest a DIY option for Permanent Residence application photographs as they could at minimum be requested to supply new photographs in compliance with their requirements.. causing delays, or worst case scenario, have their application returned.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ace/photo.html
Your photos must be:

Taken by a commercial photographer.
Having a commercial photographer required to not only take the photo but also to stamp and sign off on it, complete with the applicants name and D.O.B would probably preclude anyone trying to pull a fast one and I presume this is why they require this for PR applications - whereas with Citizenship and Passport Applications there are secondary photographic ID's and prior application photos in place already.

Last edited by Siouxie; Dec 8th 2018 at 4:18 am.