Pets to Canada

Old Apr 1st 2004, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

canadienne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Pets to Canada

Is there any point in having my dog microchipped here in the U.K. before moving to Canada? Am I correct in thinking that she will only need the rabies vaccination and the vet certificate of good health to bring her into Canada?

Any advice?
Old Apr 1st 2004, 9:47 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Pets to Canada

Originally posted by canadienne
Is there any point in having my dog microchipped here in the U.K. before moving to Canada? Am I correct in thinking that she will only need the rabies vaccination and the vet certificate of good health to bring her into Canada?

Any advice?
Yes you are correct. You need to have her micro-chipped and apply for PETS only if you wish to bring her back to the UK without putting her into quarantine.
Old Apr 1st 2004, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

canadienne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Tiaribbon
Yes you are correct. You need to have her micro-chipped and apply for PETS only if you wish to bring her back to the UK without putting her into quarantine.
Thanks,...so is it just the rabies vaccination and the some special health certificate? When do I need to do all of that?
Old Apr 1st 2004, 11:44 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks,...so is it just the rabies vaccination and the some special health certificate? When do I need to do all of that?
You need to contact your local DEFRA office for the application form for the Export Health Certificate to be done. They will send this out and you have to complete it and return it to them. They will forward the Export Health Certificate to an authorised vet 10 days before you leave and the vet will complete it for you.

The rabies jab can be done on arrival in Canada if you prefer, or have it done here in the UK prior to leaving. My pets had their rabies shots in the UK and then the blood test to confirm that they were immune. The blood tests took 30 days after the rabies vaccination, but I had this done as mine are all passported now just in case we ever need to return to the UK. I don't think that you have to have the blood tests done if you are not applying for the PETS.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Tiaribbon
You need to contact your local DEFRA office for the application form for the Export Health Certificate to be done. They will send this out and you have to complete it and return it to them. They will forward the Export Health Certificate to an authorised vet 10 days before you leave and the vet will complete it for you.

The rabies jab can be done on arrival in Canada if you prefer, or have it done here in the UK prior to leaving. My pets had their rabies shots in the UK and then the blood test to confirm that they were immune. The blood tests took 30 days after the rabies vaccination, but I had this done as mine are all passported now just in case we ever need to return to the UK. I don't think that you have to have the blood tests done if you are not applying for the PETS.
Just to add a little more on the rabies thingy. My vet told me that it would be better to have it done around a month before travelling (I think it was due to the type of vaccination) so that it wouldn't give a false/positive result when they test. Bear in mind that although it isn't necessary to have the rabies jab in order to get your pet into Canada, if you need a kennels for a while when you get here then you'll have trouble. Most ask for your vac certs.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Any advice?
Sorry,forgot to give you this too:-

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...rt/dogse.shtml

Should help a bit.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 3:45 am
Premium Member

Hey Canadienne,

I see you are in Hampshire too! Whereabouts? When are you going to Canada? And where to?

(Sorry I'm nosey!)
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 2:19 pm
Judy

"canadienne" <member20787@british_expats.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Is there any point in having my dog microchipped here in the U.K. before
    > moving to Canada?

I can see no point to doing this.

> Am I correct in thinking that she will only need the rabies vaccination
and the vet certificate of good >health to bring her into Canada?

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/...rt/dogse.shtml

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 11:47 pm
ACL
Forum Regular

ACL will become famous soon enough

Can anyone tell me how long the process is to get issued with a Pet Passport and what to expect the cost to be (a breakdown of costs would be great!)

We are off to Canada on July 1st (for study and holiday) and i will be contacting my vet first thing on Monday morning re microchipping etc.

I've read through Defra site and done various searches on the internet but cannot find time scale.

Also......I have measured up my dog for pet carrier and would like to try and buy one second hand to save money. Are there any minimum specs for the pet carrier that I should be aware of when looking for one?

Thanks!
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 3:30 am
Premium Member

Originally posted by ACL
Can anyone tell me how long the process is to get issued with a Pet Passport and what to expect the cost to be (a breakdown of costs would be great!)

We are off to Canada on July 1st (for study and holiday) and i will be contacting my vet first thing on Monday morning re microchipping etc.

I've read through Defra site and done various searches on the internet but cannot find time scale.

Also......I have measured up my dog for pet carrier and would like to try and buy one second hand to save money. Are there any minimum specs for the pet carrier that I should be aware of when looking for one?

Thanks!
It takes 6 months from the blood test confirmation to get a passport for your pet. Looks like yours will not be able to accompany you in July. The cost is approximately £210.00 per pet.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 4:20 am
ACL
Forum Regular

ACL will become famous soon enough

Thanks for clarifying that.....it wasn't made clear below.(see quote from defra site)....as i was under the impression that you would be issued with the certificate/passport when the blood test came back negative but if your pet went with you, out of the country it would still be liable to quarantine until 6 months was up. so what your saying is that you actually don't get your passport until 6 months after the blood test?

The six month rule
Your pet may not enter the UK under PETS until six months have passed from the date that your vet took the blood sample which led to a successful test result (see below). Once the vet has signed the PETS certificate and that six month period has passed, the PETS certificate is valid and your pet may enter the UK.
I also think that you can join PETS scheme from any qualifying country which I think would mean that even if I took my pet over without a pet passport (which is fine with vets bill of health and up to date booster jabs etc) I could get the whole thing sorted out over there before coming back (we'll be away for several months). I believe that the micro-chips are different though over in canada so that might be a prob when coming back to the UK?

So if it takes 6 months to get issued with a pet passport then it wouldn't be worth going through the procedure here in the Uk if we are off beginning of July?
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 4:37 am
Premium Member

Originally posted by ACL
Thanks for clarifying that.....it wasn't made clear below.(see quote from defra site)....as i was under the impression that you would be issued with the certificate/passport when the blood test came back negative but if your pet went with you, out of the country it would still be liable to quarantine until 6 months was up. so what your saying is that you actually don't get your passport until 6 months after the blood test?

I also think that you can join PETS scheme from any qualifying country which I think would mean that even if I took my pet over without a pet passport (which is fine with vets bill of health and up to date booster jabs etc) I could get the whole thing sorted out over there before coming back (we'll be away for several months). I believe that the micro-chips are different though over in canada so that might be a prob when coming back to the UK?

So if it takes 6 months to get issued with a pet passport then it wouldn't be worth going through the procedure here in the Uk if we are off beginning of July?
You have to have your pet micro-chipped prior to having the rabies vaccination. Once you have your pet chipped and it has had the rabies shot you can have the blood test done in this country and providing the blood tests come back positive to having the vaccine then you can take your pet to Canada without the passport and if you are in Canada for longer than 6 months you can have someone mail the passport to you in Canada allowing your pet free access back into the UK. If I was you I would have the whole procedure done here in the UK and then all you just have to wait for is the passport, which if you initiated now, you would have by October. Are you confirmed entry into Canada in July? Make sure you are otherwise your pet will be shipped back home with you and it will end up in quarantine for 6 months. Good luck and let me know how it goes.