Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Personal history How much detail? common law family sponsership, outland london

Personal history How much detail? common law family sponsership, outland london

Old Jul 28th 2013, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

poppy88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Personal history How much detail? common law family sponsership, outland london

hi so i'm unsure on how much information to put for the history from 18, this is the last 7 years of my life, *feels old*

now i travelled for almost a year and a half, and i put the, exact, dates i left and entered each country 17 in total (yes it took ages) but i didn't include every single city i visited, so often i put 'various including x, x and x. should this be ok?
for the description i also mainly put, traveling, sightseeing, etc, hoping this will be enough info?

now from when i was 18-21 all i really did was go to uni, took a few trips, do i need to document my holidays? i travelled spain and france for 2 months when i was 19 and i will put that in, but do i need to put on city breaks and holidays out of the country? as visiting europe there are no stamps, but i visited goa and turkey and i got a stamp so i thought i would mention those for sure, but unsure about other holidays?

any help would be great! thanks!
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:59 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal history How much detail? common law family sponsership, outland london

Originally Posted by poppy88
hi so i'm unsure on how much information to put for the history from 18, this is the last 7 years of my life, *feels old*

now i travelled for almost a year and a half, and i put the, exact, dates i left and entered each country 17 in total (yes it took ages) but i didn't include every single city i visited, so often i put 'various including x, x and x. should this be ok?
for the description i also mainly put, traveling, sightseeing, etc, hoping this will be enough info?

now from when i was 18-21 all i really did was go to uni, took a few trips, do i need to document my holidays? i travelled spain and france for 2 months when i was 19 and i will put that in, but do i need to put on city breaks and holidays out of the country? as visiting europe there are no stamps, but i visited goa and turkey and i got a stamp so i thought i would mention those for sure, but unsure about other holidays?

any help would be great! thanks!
I'm a bit confused about which form you're talking about, would you mind posting the form number and the question you're trying to fill in? From what I remember, they only ask you for your address history since 18, and the form that asks specifically for your travels is only for if you're applying via Paris... so a bit more detail about which specific form and question will be helpful!
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:10 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Personal history How much detail? common law family sponsership, outland london

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
I'm a bit confused about which form you're talking about, would you mind posting the form number and the question you're trying to fill in? From what I remember, they only ask you for your address history since 18, and the form that asks specifically for your travels is only for if you're applying via Paris... so a bit more detail about which specific form and question will be helpful!
imm5669, schedule A/background,
question 8 Personal History

i'm applying outland to london, , common law sponsrship, hope ive got the right forms!
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:22 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

imm5669, schedule A/background,
question 8 Personal History

i'm applying outland to london, , common law sponsrship, hope ive got the right forms!
Yes, you are using the correct set of forms.

If you read the instruction guide, it explains what they require:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ep-by-step.asp

Provide the details of your personal history since the age of 18, or the past 10 years, whichever is most recent.

Start with the most recent information. Under “Activity”, write your occupation or job title if you were working. If you were not working, provide information on what you were doing (for example: unemployed, studying, travelling, retired, in detention, etc.). If you were outside your country of nationality, indicate your status in that country.

Important information. Failure to account for all time periods will result in a delay in the processing of your application

Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by siouxie

Provide the details of your personal history since the age of 18, or the past 10 years, whichever is most recent.

Start with the most recent information. Under “Activity”, write your occupation or job title if you were working. If you were not working, provide information on what you were doing (for example: unemployed, studying, travelling, retired, in detention, etc.). If you were outside your country of nationality, indicate your status in that country.

Important information. Failure to account for all time periods will result in a delay in the processing of your application

so i need to account for all city breaks i took out the country?

when i was travelling i cant remember every town and city i stayed in, is it ok to state the country, with exact dates, and say various citie including x x and x?
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:30 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

When we did this for my husband, we didn't include each and every trip he took out of the country. His basically looked like:

July 2009 - Present: Work, Company B
June 2009 - July 2009: Travelling
September 2006 - June 2008: Work, Company A
January 2006 - September 2006: Travelling
May 2005 - January 2006: Work, Company C
September 2001 - May 2005: University

That sort of thing. He didn't detail every individual trip he made out of the country since it's not asking for the specifics of your travel, they basically just want to see where you where and what you were doing. (He wasn't actually going to put in the June-July 2009 travelling, it was just the way the dates fell that he left Company A at the end of June, took a week off, and started at Company B at the beginning of July, so he stuck that in so that it filled the gap, even though it was only just a week!)

Someone will jump in if this isn't the right way to do it, but it was how we did it and we didn't have an issue.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:32 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

so i need to account for all city breaks i took out the country?

when i was travelling i cant remember every town and city i stayed in, is it ok to state the country, with exact dates, and say various citie including x x and x?
If you left the Country then you do need to put it down, regardless.

I would put something like "vacation, touring" or similar. Provided you are listing the exact dates and Country I believe you should be ok.

Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:34 am
Forum Regular

that sounds a lot easier than how im doing it,

as i travelled to different countries could i simply do 05/2010-09/2011 travelling, or should i put in when i went to each country? 17 in total

ive read people talk about a travelling history or something but i cant seem to find where that is in the outland application? am i missing something somewhere?
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:38 am
Banned

that sounds a lot easier than how im doing it,

as i travelled to different countries could i simply do 05/2010-09/2011 travelling, or should i put in when i went to each country? 17 in total

ive read people talk about a travelling history or something but i cant seem to find where that is in the outland application? am i missing something somewhere?
Travelling history is a completely different form applicable to people applying through France.

You don't need that form.

Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

Travelling history is a completely different form applicable to people applying through France.

You don't need that form.

phew! so i left the detail in there, just in case!
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:47 am
Concierge

Hmm, I'm wondering if we read the question correctly... might be just open for interpretation. They seemed most interested in your personal work history... so if you were employed for a year but spent 2 weeks of that travelling then you end up writing:

May 2008 - June 2010: Work, Company X
April 2009 - April 2009: Travel, Country X

Which kind of makes no sense... there's a lot of random overlap there, and ultimately you're still employed.

When we read this bit:
Originally Posted by CIC

We interpreted it as them being more interested in where you were living and where you were employed - they are assuming that "work" is the default thing you were doing, and if you weren't working, then what were you doing? Even if you took a week or two off to travel, you're technically still employed, so we didn't worry about writing in those trips. We just covered off any travel where work was not the overarching "thing" that they were doing.

Further, we didn't put specifics about travel. The 9 months that Husband was travelling after university was a bi-continental bike trip with two friends (yeah, he's crazy) - but in that section he just put "Travel, Europe and Asia" and left it at that.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

Hmm, I'm wondering if we read the question correctly... might be just open for interpretation. They seemed most interested in your personal work history... so if you were employed for a year but spent 2 weeks of that travelling then you end up writing:

May 2008 - June 2010: Work, Company X
April 2009 - April 2009: Travel, Country X

Which kind of makes no sense... there's a lot of random overlap there, and ultimately you're still employed.

When we read this bit:

We interpreted it as them being more interested in where you were living and where you were employed - they are assuming that "work" is the default thing you were doing, and if you weren't working, then what were you doing? Even if you took a week or two off to travel, you're technically still employed, so we didn't worry about writing in those trips. We just covered off any travel where work was not the overarching "thing" that they were doing.

Further, we didn't put specifics about travel. The 9 months that Husband was travelling after university was a bi-continental bike trip with two friends (yeah, he's crazy) - but in that section he just put "Travel, Europe and Asia" and left it at that.
same, i assumed it was more of a work based question, as they wanted to know the name of the employer, i just wonder if i have made it too complicated now by writing too much,
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:25 am
Concierge

same, i assumed it was more of a work based question, as they wanted to know the name of the employer, i just wonder if i have made it too complicated now by writing too much,
It's easy to overcomplicate it, and it's not helped by the fact that the questions are clear as mud.

I've written out how we did it and the logic we used... and we were approved pretty quickly (6 months, full timeline in signature). Others probably have done it differently - as you've seen on this thread, there are many different interpretations.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

It's easy to overcomplicate it, and it's not helped by the fact that the questions are clear as mud.

I've written out how we did it and the logic we used... and we were approved pretty quickly (6 months, full timeline in signature). Others probably have done it differently - as you've seen on this thread, there are many different interpretations.
i have been working for a year, but 3 employers, do you think i need to show when each changed?

i want to keep it simply but affraid they will ask for more information!

under city/country, if i visited various do you think it would be ok to simply put 'various,brazil'
Old Jul 31st 2013, 4:45 am
Concierge

If it were me, I would put each individual employer and the dates. I don't think CIC will care that they are short-term, they just want to know what you were doing and where you were. (My opinion.)

For the travel, if you just went to one country then put "Travelling, Country X". If you went to two then list both, if you went to any more then I'd just put the continent ("Travelling, South America"). In my husband's 9 month trip he went through, uh, I think 10 countries? Hence he just put "Travelling, Europe and Asia".

Again, that's just what I would do, no guarantees CIC will like it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.