Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Personal experiences wanted regarding Education point scoring...my BRAIN HURTS!

Personal experiences wanted regarding Education point scoring...my BRAIN HURTS!

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

joinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond reputejoinerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Personal experiences wanted regarding Education point scoring...my BRAIN HURTS!

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Yep, 67 points without the wife's NVQ. I'm not too concerned.

I have a pretty uncomplicated submission as far as I can see. Comfortable about of years education with a 3 year degree (20 points). 10 years experience in software development, more than the required cash in savings, native English, 32 years old. I had 90% of my payslips for the last 10 years as well and letters of ref from my two employers. We shall see though. I'm sure there will be some banana skins to slip on...
Hi Bodgerx
Looks good to me, all the best with the rest of your application

regards
Joinerboy
Old Dec 3rd 2009, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Personal experiences wanted regarding Education point scoring...my BRAIN HURTS!

Originally Posted by joinerboy
Hi Bodgerx
Looks good to me, all the best with the rest of your application

regards
Joinerboy
Cheers. All the best with your plans.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 4:58 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of
Lightbulb Re: Personal experiences wanted regarding Education point scoring...my BRAIN HURTS!

Wow, i've been off the internet for a few days & am pleasantly surprised to see how this thread has been contributed to.

We think we're going to submit our application based on the fact Marc has 12 years schooling and a 2yr diploma/apprentiship = total 14yrs education, therefore 20 points. If we don't get 20 points for his education then we'd be back to the drawing board, as we are dead-on 67 as it is.

Regarding the schooling, i'm working it out as follows;

Born in Jan 1975
Started school in Sept 1979, aged 4 (four months short of 5th birthday)
Completed school in GCSE year, 1991, aged 16
Total = 12 school years

Started College Sept 1991, aged 16
Completed College June 1993, aged 18
Total = 2 year diploma / joinery apprentiship

Therefore 20 points for a 'two-year post-secondary educational credential, other than a university educational credential, and a total of at least 14 years of completed full-time or full-time equivalent studies'

It's a good job this going-to-live-in-Canada-mallarkey is something we really want!

Having read through all the thread/forum contributions, i'm hoping this is the right thing to do....
Old Dec 4th 2009, 6:20 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by misskatpaw
Wow, i've been off the internet for a few days & am pleasantly surprised to see how this thread has been contributed to.

We think we're going to submit our application based on the fact Marc has 12 years schooling and a 2yr diploma/apprentiship = total 14yrs education, therefore 20 points. If we don't get 20 points for his education then we'd be back to the drawing board, as we are dead-on 67 as it is.

Born in Jan 1975
Total = 12 school years

Therefore 20 points for a 'two-year post-secondary educational credential, other than a university educational credential, and a total of at least 14 years of completed full-time or full-time equivalent studies'

It's a good job this going-to-live-in-Canada-mallarkey is something we really want!

Having read through all the thread/forum contributions, i'm hoping this is the right thing to do....
You should be prepared that is quite likely that CHC will not count the reception year.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Born in Jan 1975
Total = 12 school years

This sounds similar to Spaceace's situation, and they awarded 15 points for education, so I would definitely seek professional advice.
Old Dec 4th 2009, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Shano74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, just thought I'd add my experience on this. I applied for PR through Skilled Worker (have a job on list of 38). I was relying on getting 20 points for having completed A levels (2 year diploma or so I thought), but the CHC confirmed that A levels are seen as one year certificates and so it was only worth 15 points to me. As I learned about the difference in mid-application I decided to continue to see what happened. Well, as expected I didn't score enough points, but interestingly the CHC scored me at 12 points (despite the fact that I provided evidence of completion of at least 14 years of study), so I really don't understand how I can be assessed at 12 points instead of 15. I have now completed level 3 NVQ which is a very gray area in terms of how it seems to be assessed. I was hoping that by having this qualification that it will now qualify me for the 20 points but I don't think it's certain, that's why I am now about to embark on NVQ level 4 as this is equivalent to a degree (somehow!). I am hoping that some others can confirm that they applied for NVQ level 3 and got the 20 points for it. Good luck!
Old Dec 4th 2009, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shano74
Hi, just thought I'd add my experience on this. I applied for PR through Skilled Worker (have a job on list of 38). I was relying on getting 20 points for having completed A levels (2 year diploma or so I thought), but the CHC confirmed that A levels are seen as one year certificates and so it was only worth 15 points to me. As I learned about the difference in mid-application I decided to continue to see what happened. Well, as expected I didn't score enough points, but interestingly the CHC scored me at 12 points (despite the fact that I provided evidence of completion of at least 14 years of study), so I really don't understand how I can be assessed at 12 points instead of 15. I have now completed level 3 NVQ which is a very gray area in terms of how it seems to be assessed. I was hoping that by having this qualification that it will now qualify me for the 20 points but I don't think it's certain, that's why I am now about to embark on NVQ level 4 as this is equivalent to a degree (somehow!). I am hoping that some others can confirm that they applied for NVQ level 3 and got the 20 points for it. Good luck!
Even if they didn't count the A-Levels as a 2 year diploma AND only counted 11 years standard edu with the 2 years of A-Level study that would still give 13 years edu and put you in the 15 point bracket. Did you supply any evidence of your GCSE or A-Levels? They must have made some assumption that the A-Level was equivalent to a one-year diploma.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Shano74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Even if they didn't count the A-Levels as a 2 year diploma AND only counted 11 years standard edu with the 2 years of A-Level study that would still give 13 years edu and put you in the 15 point bracket. Did you supply any evidence of your GCSE or A-Levels? They must have made some assumption that the A-Level was equivalent to a one-year diploma.
Thanks for the reply Bodger. I can confirm that I submitted GCSE and A level results and certificates. I completed the normal amount of primary and secondary school education, and then I did a year in Sixth Form and two years at college so I should have easily met the 15 points requirement. Not really sure how they came to the 12 point conclusion. Oh well, I'll keep learning to bridge the points gap. Thanks again.
Old Dec 5th 2009, 1:47 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Born in Jan 1975
Total = 12 school years

He was at school for 11 years- GCSE are done in year 11. The reception class doesn't count towards this.

Then college for two so he was studying for 13 years in total. The last two were the diploma.

I got 20 points for 13 years at school to A levels, then 2 years after that for a radiography diploma. 15 years from beginning to end. I make this 15 points.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

So, in short, what are A levels actually worth in terms of points both as a primary applicant and as a secondary applicant? I can't find a clear answer!

Here's hoping someone can clear it up for me, please!!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

can I suggest reading my post (today) on a thread similar to this

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=655361

especially page 13 and appendix A

but the question of the value of A levels to the 67-point test is still a mystery
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
So, in short, what are A levels actually worth in terms of points both as a primary applicant and as a secondary applicant? I can't find a clear answer!

Here's hoping someone can clear it up for me, please!!
PMM has already given you an answer in your previous thread...............http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...51#post8038751

It's worth noting that PMM is the man that knows around here!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Feb 17th 2010 at 8:54 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

All: thank you for taking the time to reply to me, I appreciate it

john5655: thank you, I'll try to find the topic you're referring to.

christmasoompa: thank you for pointing that out, you're quite right. I'm going to PM him and ask him if he knows whether we're entitled to additional points for me as the 2nd applicant under the 'adaptability' with education.

Thanks again!
Old Feb 17th 2010, 8:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rubberduckofdeath
All: thank you for taking the time to reply to me, I appreciate it

john5655: thank you, I'll try to find the topic you're referring to.

christmasoompa: thank you for pointing that out, you're quite right. I'm going to PM him and ask him if he knows whether we're entitled to additional points for me as the 2nd applicant under the 'adaptability' with education.

Thanks again!
No probs. Could also be worth PM'ing Jim Humphries (he's a former visa officer), hope he doesn't mind me recommending you do that but he's always very helpful too. I know that A levels are usually said to just be part of secondary education for a primary applicant, but not sure about points for adaptability.