Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

permanent / temporary applications at the same time?

Wikiposts

permanent / temporary applications at the same time?

Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:50 am
Just Joined

borealis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default permanent / temporary applications at the same time?

Hello,
I hope this is not too complicated, but here goes:

We are currently holding a temporary work permit (since september 2003), which is going to expire at the end of September 2005 (I am the principal applicant and my spouse has an open work permit).

We are about to send of a request for extension until January 2006, when my current contract ends. We will then need to reapply for extension twice: once for January-april 2006, and once for may 2006 - may 2008.

At the same time, we want to send off a permanent residence application. However, we have been told by an immigration lawyer that it looks bad if we have a permanent application and a temporary one being processed at the same time. This lawyer said we should wait for our last extension request to be processed (e.g. april 2006!!) to send off the permanent application…
On the other hand, I called the Immigration Canada help line, and was told that it was 2 completely separated process, as I would be applying outside Canada - I guess we qualify for applying to Buffalo (USA), as we have been in Canada for over a year.

Given the contradicting advice , I would be very grateful if anyone could clarify the matter.

Thanks in advance
Old Jun 8th 2005, 9:55 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: permanent / temporary applications at the same time?

Ditch your lawyer. By the same token don't rely too much on CIC call centre - every time you call with the same question you usually get difefrent answers. Get practitioner who knows the stuff and has experience.

Originally Posted by borealis
Hello,
I hope this is not too complicated, but here goes:

We are currently holding a temporary work permit (since september 2003), which is going to expire at the end of September 2005 (I am the principal applicant and my spouse has an open work permit).

We are about to send of a request for extension until January 2006, when my current contract ends. We will then need to reapply for extension twice: once for January-april 2006, and once for may 2006 - may 2008.

At the same time, we want to send off a permanent residence application. However, we have been told by an immigration lawyer that it looks bad if we have a permanent application and a temporary one being processed at the same time. This lawyer said we should wait for our last extension request to be processed (e.g. april 2006!!) to send off the permanent application…
On the other hand, I called the Immigration Canada help line, and was told that it was 2 completely separated process, as I would be applying outside Canada - I guess we qualify for applying to Buffalo (USA), as we have been in Canada for over a year.

Given the contradicting advice , I would be very grateful if anyone could clarify the matter.

Thanks in advance