Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Permanent Resident Travel Document – any recent application experience?

Permanent Resident Travel Document – any recent application experience?

Old Jun 6th 2022, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

andy__Bee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Permanent Resident Travel Document – any recent application experience?

FYI - Planning ahead, I tried to set up International (Canadian bank) and UK bank wire transfer for VFS in preperation for when we arrive in the UK. Both wanted UK style sort code and account number, which is not on the VFS Global site, so had to request.

full details here.

Bank Account name – VF Services UK Ltd Canadian Embassy
Bank name– HSBC Bank plc
BIC/SWIFT Code – HBUKGB4B
IBAN Number – GB20HBUK40024432527812
SORT CODE - 40-02-44
Account Number - 32527812

Last edited by andy__Bee; Jun 6th 2022 at 4:03 pm.
Old Jun 6th 2022, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

redfox05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Permanent Resident Travel Document – any recent application experience?

Originally Posted by andy__Bee
Both wanted UK style sort code and account number, which is not on the VFS Global site, so had to request.
Ah yes, forgot about that, that confused me too. I had to call them up to get these details. Turns out you can actually extract these details from the IBAN number, if you look closely at it, it contains both the sort code and account number. But by then, they had given the details to me over the phone. Something useful to know in future for other things though.
And they told me you get a confirmation once you paid, which confused me as they would not know my contact details from the payment, just name. I printed off the confirmation page from a screenshot in the end after I paid, and included that in the application pack.
Old Jun 9th 2022, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

so PRTD people, it terms of documentation, did you over deliver or just sent 2 lots as requried in section 8 of the document check-list?

I have our tax stuff, mortgage, property tax and the original and confirmation of PR from back in 06. I saw bank statements are listed, but if I do 5 years, thats like 400 pages! unless I just do the cover sheet.

Annoyingly, I just realised most of our utlitity bills are in my name only (I came over slightly before my wife back in the day).

Section 9 - I'll be with my wife and child, both PR. We have no problem meeting the residency target at all, had less than 50 days out of country in 5 years. Do I still need to include their birth certificates etc?

Thoughts? Advice all greatfully recieved!
Old Jun 12th 2022, 10:53 pm
Just Joined

HELP!

Anyone who has gone through the PRTD process. Section2, Q15 on IMMM 5524 you have to list all periods you spent in Canada during the past five years.

Do you fill this out....

a) every individual period of time. For example I left Canada on 24 trips in the past five years, so would I have to list say Jan 1st - Feb 1st and then say Feb5th to ....... (would need an addiitonal piece of paper)

b) Work out per a year basis. so 2017-06-19 to 2018-06-18 350 days. 2018-06-19 to 2018-06-19 355 days.

I've only been out of the country for 90 days, so all good, but I cannot afford for any delay.

Also It says if it meets the 730 days, then skip to decleration. Assume, we don't have to fill out 18, Statement of Consent (put your tax SIN number)

There are no instructions on that question on the immigration website and while the PR car application says 'you can continue on another piece of paper' this form doesn't.

Can anyone advise?

Thanks all!!!

Last edited by andy__Bee; Jun 13th 2022 at 12:10 am.
Old Jun 13th 2022, 8:39 am
Just Joined

HELP!
Do you fill this out....

a) every individual period of time. For example I left Canada on 24 trips in the past five years, so would I have to list say Jan 1st - Feb 1st and then say Feb5th to ....... (would need an addiitonal piece of paper)

b) Work out per a year basis. so 2017-06-19 to 2018-06-18 350 days. 2018-06-19 to 2018-06-19 355 days.

Personally I would detail EVERY trip. I even included day trips to the US, but make sure the total days in Canada calculates correctly on their form, as it might add an extra day I think, depending how you write it.
My thinking is that they might cross check with entry/exit data from customs/your passport.

For me I needed to use an additional sheet with a table for the accompanying canadian citizen common law partner, and left the table on the form blank apart from a single entry in there to see my Appendix A. I think I made the total for that row match what was the total for the full breakdown in my appendix page.

Make sure to read the help docs for filling in the form, as that explains a lot too. And the appendix needs to have extra info like Name and question number and something else maybe, it'll say on the form/help PDF.

If you dont want delays, ask yourself what you would do if you were a strict officer reviewing it. More accurate data the better I think, rather than just summaries.

There are no instructions on that question on the immigration website and while the PR car application says 'you can continue on another piece of paper' this form doesn't.
I'm sure I read somewhere that you can use additional paper, either on the form itself at the start of it, or on the help PDF for that specific form. The info is all over the place, so really check every link on the website, including the VFS Global website.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by redfox05; Jun 13th 2022 at 8:41 am.
Old Jun 13th 2022, 8:43 am
Just Joined

so PRTD people, it terms of documentation, did you over deliver or just sent 2 lots as requried in section 8 of the document check-list?
I think I went over the minimum, just in case they found any of it not good enough. If they ask for two, I would try for 3-4. Also look at what type you have, are they solid, strong pieces of evidence that they can easily check. If not, then provide more different sources.
But its all guesswork, theres no feedback

Annoyingly, I just realised most of our utlitity bills are in my name only (I came over slightly before my wife back in the day).
I had some in my name, some joint, some in her name. Send them all! :-)
Make sure the evidence is showing a trend and several across date ranges. So for a given address, some kind of evidence for the start of moving in, another in the middle somewhere, and another just before you moved out.
Also we read social media posts are a big thing, and personally I think this is great as you can show the photos and the comments from everyone, and also across the years they can see your faces etc change with age as thats kind of hard to fake right, so personally I think thats then great evidence. "A picture is worth a thousand words" and all that.

FYI: I think in total we had like 120-130 pages of stuff printed for the whole PRTD application.

Last edited by redfox05; Jun 13th 2022 at 9:20 am.
Old Jul 6th 2022, 10:02 am
Just Joined

Thought I'd provide an update. Re, previous post, we over-supplied docs, to minimise any delays.

We decided to wait until we arrived in the UK before we did payment as IRCC payment section was quite adamant payment was to be abroad. We made payment for both the night we arrived in the UK and then went to ParcelForce courier for 9am the next morning for delivery by 9 the next day

Packages arrived at VFS London 9am the next morning. That night we had an email for my wife application, saying it would in processing and the next day another email saying it had been sent to Canadian Embassy for their processing. 3 days later, nothing on mine, so chased, which took another 2 days.

Transpires, my application had been processed at the same time, but I didn't get updates until I enquired via email. They were able to send my reference number via email. Seems that their system doesn't accept multiple applications on the same email address, so bare that in mind.

Day 6 and we had confirmation both had been processed and was going back to VFS Global. Day 7, told Passports being couriered and arrived at our UK address on Day 8 via DHL.

Despite paying, we didn't receive any SMS messages.

One thing to note, I did a cover letter as suggested. I explained my mother is very ill and we have already been prepared by the doctors, so I requested a multiple visit PRTD even though we have Canadian address. I've been told previously this is rarely given to actual residents, but we were successful and have multiple entries for one year. Just as well as we still don't have our PR cards, despite applying in March!

Anyway, PRTD all sorted very easily and stress levels have now subsided!

THANK YOU to the many who helped and assisted on this thread. It was very much appreciated.
Old Jul 11th 2022, 4:41 am
Just Joined

quick update. Arrived Vancouver tonight. No real issues. For the first trip ever, no one asked to see our PR cards or visa at bag drop off. I don't know if this could be the first time we used Air Canada (over BA) and they might have access?

When we arrived, we were not sure what to do with the White computer stations, so we scanned our UK passports and we followed the prompts. After checking with staff, important to tick 'Personal' and not 'Immigrating'. Then it asked how long you were staying in Canada. Border office said put any old number. They then took the passports at the final security desk. (Wife has passports, so not sure, but I assume it was stamped).

They did query why our PRTD had multiple and not a single visit on there as its rare, so the cover letter regarding my mum certainly helped and I would recommend it if you have a legitimate reason.
Old Jul 11th 2022, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting that update, andy__Bee.

For the first trip ever, no one asked to see our PR cards or visa at bag drop off. I don't know if this could be the first time we used Air Canada (over BA) and they might have access?
I had a similar experience, also flying with Air Canada, and wondered if they had some way of checking PR other than by looking at a card / PRTD stamp.

Also the border guard at Pearson had apparently never seen a PRTD before and was fairly suspicious, asking me all kinds of questions about it until he called a colleague over who waved me through.
Old Sep 28th 2022, 7:59 pm
Just Joined

whistlerdan is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a heads up to anyone reading this whole thread and about to apply for a PRTD in London, the VAC costs have increased, so some of the previously quoted totals in this thread for payment are now incorrect. Right now, the one-way courier fee has risen to 20.35. So this is just a reminder that you should check the website or email them to review the current fees before you apply.

Once my application has been processed, I'll report back on current durations and experiences.

Also, someone had previously made a mention of a "VFS Checklist that you both need to print". I could not find such a thing, only the CIC checklist, so I emailed them to ask about it. They returned a list of everything I needed to include, and there was no mention anywhere of a VFS checklist. Not sure if this is something that has been phased out, but I certainly can't find the checklist itself or any mention of it on their site.

Last edited by whistlerdan; Sep 28th 2022 at 8:03 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2022, 12:13 pm
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if by checklist they were referring to the VFS consent form?