British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Permanent Resident Travel Document – any recent application experience? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/permanent-resident-travel-document-%E2%80%93-any-recent-application-experience-943067/)

DeanN Mar 8th 2022 3:48 pm

Permanent Resident Travel Document – any recent application experience?

Hi all,

About to mail in a PRTD application and I have a couple of questions – and in a moment of great timing, VFS Global's contact centre is currently down with no indication of when it might be live again (and emails to them have gone unanswered).

Was wondering if anyone had applied recently and could help with the following:

1. VFS' fees seem a bit confusing but essentially they seem to ask for £18.35 GBP for couriering the passport back to you (no pickups in person right now due to Covid) and another £16.15 for a 'package transmission fee', so a total of £34.50. Is that right?
2. the $50 fee mentioned on the IRCC website is in addition to the VFS fee, is that correct?
3. Finally, VFS mention on their website about couriering the package to them – but is a signed-for Royal Mail 24HR delivery okay? Big price difference between that and an actual courier...

Any help with any of this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Dean.

DeanN Mar 10th 2022 1:15 pm

Re: Permanent Resident Travel Document – any recent application experience?

I ended up going to the VFS office in London to clear these things up, so for the benefit of anyone else who might be asking the same questions in the future...

1. The total fee is £43.40, payable to VFS
2. The $50 IRCC is on top of that
3. Royal Mail signed-for is fine

Rosco911 Mar 25th 2022 10:58 pm

Hi, and would you be able to tell me, how long did it take? from the day you mailed it... or did you bring it in person?

Thank you!

DeanN Mar 29th 2022 6:12 am

I mailed it in as (due to Covid) they're not accepting in-person applications; you also have to pay a fee to have them courier it back to you.

Submitted just over two weeks ago but I haven't got it back yet.

JDS83 Apr 6th 2022 1:25 pm

The process appears to have been updated from 1st April 2022:

https://visa.vfsglobal.com/mng/en/ca...d-applications

DeanN Apr 6th 2022 2:45 pm

That's interesting... thanks for sharing this. I wonder if that affects applications made prior? Mine was done almost four weeks ago and I haven't got the passport back yet nor heard anything, save for confirmation that the application is with IRCC.

From the new VFS guidance:

"documentation to support your entry and exit from jurisdiction(s) as appropriate (i.e. Exit/entry record, etc.) This document must be translated into English or French."

... clear as mud, as ever.

DeanN Apr 12th 2022 2:40 pm

A final update on this – I got my passport with PRTD (multiple entry, although only valid for a year) back today, slightly over a month since I sent it in. Not sure if that reflects longer processing times or is due to my case involving time spent abroad with a Canadian citizen hence perhaps requiring more verification checks.

andy__Bee May 20th 2022 6:42 am

Does anyone have experience of applying for a PRTD while in the UK (London) since the new rules came in?

I've been searching online as still waiting for PR car renewals and it seems some countries are taking month while others are taking 2-3 weeks. Worried, moving more of the process from VFS to IRCC could lengthen the process?

Any experience? We will be in the UK for 3 weeks from a months time, so hopefully won't need to do this.

THANKS!

Originally Posted by JDS83 (Post 13106122)

https://visa.vfsglobal.com/mng/en/ca...d-applications

redfox05 May 20th 2022 8:16 am

Originally Posted by andy__Bee (Post 13116245)
Does anyone have experience of applying for a PRTD while in the UK (London) since the new rules came in?
I've been searching online as still waiting for PR car renewals and it seems some countries are taking month while others are taking 2-3 weeks. Worried, moving more of the process from VFS to IRCC could lengthen the process?
THANKS!

I'm also interested in more info on this.
I booked my flights for late June, totally forgetting about the expired PR card, so I need to get this PRTD application in ASAP.
If I hadnt seen this thread, I would have been mailing it in, because the latest post on the VFS site (unable to post links yet, new member) seems to say to mail in the PRTD application?

• Permanent Resident Travel Document intake (via post/courier only). Submission of PRTD applications in person at the VAC is not permitted until further notice.

So thats in the latest blog post, but when you look at the date for that section, it says:

Re-opening for VAC in London: 17th November 2020
So which is the current advice? Mail it in, or email it online? It seems that email is slower to process, and other forum posts from the last few years (even during COVID) have seen the PRTD applications been processed pretty quick at London VFS.

Honestly stuck on what to do. Kinda hoping its the mail-in one, as that seems faster?

Originally Posted by JDS83 (Post 13106122)

htt ps:/ /visa.vfsglobal . com/mng/en/can/news/prtd-applications

IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT THE ABOVE!
Just noticed, the link provided above by JDS83 is for the wrong VFS centre!! Check the link, it has "mng" in it, and clicking on the link and then the top logo to go to the main page shows:

VFS Global is the exclusive service provider for the Government of Canada, authorized to provide administrative support services to visa applicants in Mongolia.

When I google "London VFS Canada" I am presented with a link to a VFS Global site that this time has "gbr" in the link (again, I cant post links yet, new user).

You can also check this by clicking the "Find a Centre" page on the main welcome page, and it should show London as the centre, not Ulaanbaatar.

JDS83 can you update your post so others also dont get confused by this? Its totally the VFS website fault as their different websites look so similar!!

christmasoompa May 20th 2022 8:37 am

Hi Redfox, welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by redfox05 (Post 13116264)
I booked my flights for late June, totally forgetting about the expired PR card, so I need to get this PRTD application in ASAP.

Just in case you're not aware, you can only apply for a PRTD from outside Canada.

Originally Posted by redfox05 (Post 13116264)
JDS83 can you update your post so others also dont get confused by this? Its totally the VFS website fault as their different websites look so similar!!

Unfortunately, posts can't be edited by members after more than 2 hours. But your response should clarify things for anybody reading.

HTH.

andy__Bee May 20th 2022 8:42 am

oh wow! Good catch!!!

Link to the blog post on VFS Global's "GB" site which RedFox couldn't post (half way down).... https://visa.vfsglobal.com/gbr/en/can/news/vac-resumed

So it sounds like I need to send passport in at time of PTRD application. If that gets delayed, that limited the option of travelling back to the US and coming though on road as I won't have a passport.

Yikes, Anyone think 3 weeks is enough time if I have it all ready to courier the second I land?

andy__Bee May 20th 2022 4:34 pm

one more question, re-reading the correct VFS Global page.

Do we include the passport at time of application, or do we wait for the passport request letter, highlighted at the bottom the page (see attachment). The astreix doe not relate to anything else on this page.

I've webformed IRCC to find out about our PR cards, but searching online, seems to take a month for them to reply :(

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...758c405ea3.jpg

DeanN May 20th 2022 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by andy__Bee (Post 13116387)
I've webformed IRCC to find out about our PR cards, but searching online, seems to take a month for them to reply :(

When I did my PRTD earlier this year (in March, before the more recent changes) I had a few questions about it and found it impossible to get an answer from VFS, either by phone or email / chat. So I went to their London office and was able to speak with someone who answered my questions. If you don't have an answer when you land might be an option to go there and ask.

andy__Bee May 20th 2022 8:22 pm

thanks, did you send the passport with the initial application, or waited for a request letter. Don't want to slow things down LOL

DeanN May 21st 2022 12:17 pm

At the time I did it the requirement was to send the passport, along with the application, proof of fees paid to VFS & IRCC, photos, consent form etc., to VFS.

I got the passport couriered back exactly four weeks later; others here have reported slightly shorter turnaround times – my application may have taken longer as I met residency through living outside of Canada with Canadian parter, and I don't know if that required more time to process.