Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Permanent Resident Card expires while outside Canada?

Permanent Resident Card expires while outside Canada?

Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

oconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really nice
Default Permanent Resident Card expires while outside Canada?

I'm asking this for my OH who has lived in Canada with me for nearly 5 years now. We're planning on moving to England for two years and while we're there his PR card will expire.

Does he need to renew it while abroad (if so, how?) or can he return with me to Canada using his UK passport and then apply for a new PR card while we're here?

Thanks! I hope someone will know the answer to this. I wouldn't want to run into any trouble in the future.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:27 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Resident Card expires while outside Canada?

With a UK passport he can return to Canada without problem without the PR card in terms of clearing security and boarding the flight (which is where not having the PR card is a problem for non Visa waiver passport holders).

The problems will arise in proving to the officer at the point of entry that his PR status has not lapsed after a long absence, he should be prepared with documentation to show he has met the 2 out of 5 canadian residency requirement in case its needed... Either that or go through the hassle of getting a travel document from London before leaving. Far as I know thats the only official option as you cant renew a PR card from outside Canada.

If I were him Id get a citizenship application on the go now, while he meets the 3 out of 4 year requirement as a PR.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 12th 2010 at 6:33 pm.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

oconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really niceoconnorkerry is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
With a UK passport he can return to Canada without problem without the PR card in terms of clearing security and boarding the flight (which is where not having the PR card is a problem for non Visa waiver passport holders).

The problems will arise in proving to the officer at the point of entry that his PR status has not lapsed after a long absence, he should be prepared with documentation to show he has met the 2 out of 5 canadian residency requirement in case its needed... Either that or go trough the hassle of getting a travel document from London before leaving. Far as I know thats the only official option as you cant renew a PR card from outside Canada.

If I were him Id get a citizenship application on the go now, while he meets the 3 out of 4 year requirement as a PR.
Ok, thanks! What is a travel document?
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oconnorkerry
Ok, thanks! What is a travel document?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/inFORMa...ons/travel.asp
Old Apr 12th 2010, 5:58 pm
Just Joined

Aha, thanks!
Old Apr 12th 2010, 10:16 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
The problems will arise in proving to the officer at the point of entry that his PR status has not lapsed after a long absence, he should be prepared with documentation to show he has met the 2 out of 5 canadian residency requirement in case its needed... Either that or go through the hassle of getting a travel document from London before leaving. Far as I know thats the only official option as you cant renew a PR card from outside Canada.
Spouses of Canadian citizens are not subject to the 2/5 year requirement, but often need the travel document to prove this, especially if returning to Canada to live.

Citizenship is a much better option.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Can you renew the PR card now, while you are still in Canada? Note that CIC requires you to go to their office in person to pick up the renewed cards.

And, as others have mentioned, apply for citizenship now!
Old Apr 13th 2010, 1:12 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by JAJ
Spouses of Canadian citizens are not subject to the 2/5 year requirement, but often need the travel document to prove this, especially if returning to Canada to live.

Citizenship is a much better option.
Thanks JAJ...for some reason it hadnt twigged that he was with his Canadian spouse Insufficient blood caffeine level I expect.