Permanent Residency term

Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

mark-r is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permanent Residency term

I'm about to land and think that I have been given permission to be a permanent resident untill 2015, from reading a form. I understand that I need to renew my PR card that I will get shortly, ever five years.

I will try to become a Citizen before the 15 years, hopefully the test isn't too difficult!!

Anyway, my question is, can you apply for an extension, on top of the 15 years granted, so that you can be a permanent resident for a longer period of time??

TIA,
MArk.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:25 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency term

Originally Posted by mark-r
I'm about to land and think that I have been given permission to be a permanent resident untill 2015, from reading a form. I understand that I need to renew my PR card that I will get shortly, ever five years.

I will try to become a Citizen before the 15 years, hopefully the test isn't too difficult!!

Anyway, my question is, can you apply for an extension, on top of the 15 years granted, so that you can be a permanent resident for a longer period of time??

TIA,
MArk.
Where did you read about a 10 year limit? No such thing. Permanent residence is indefinite provided you comply with the residence obligation (and don't get deported for committing crimes):
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/res-oblig.html

You can apply for Canadian citizenship after three years in Canada. Information on this is also on the CIC site.

Jeremy
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

mark-r is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks mate. Well I was given the visa in my passport, and a document to take with me for Landing, and on it it says there is an Expiry date for 2015, it looks like that's when my residency expires, why a mention of 2015?? From what you've said I've probably read into this wrongly.

That's great though.

If you fail the citizen test can you take it again?

Cheers for your help.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:43 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks mate. Well I was given the visa in my passport, and a document to take with me for Landing, and on it it says there is an Expiry date for 2015, it looks like that's when my residency expires, why a mention of 2015?? From what you've said I've probably read into this wrongly.

That's great though.

If you fail the citizen test can you take it again?

Cheers for your help.
Dont know anything about the form..its kind of irrelevenat anyway because as a new reisdent you will be issued a PR card which superceedes the Landing paper anyway, and will need renewing every 5 years if you intend to travel at all (so citizenship is more cost effective in the long run )

Only a complete idiot, or someone with extrememly marginal english or french skills would fail the test, As a native English speaker you would have to actively try to fail it in my opinion, but if you actually did manage to fail it (and I cant for the life of me think how you could short of having a stroke or suffering a severe blow to the head on the way there ) , then yes you could reapply. But trust me, its really only a language comprehension excercise in disguise, with the exception of two questions about voting that you have to get right.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 1:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It may well mean the deadline to 'land' in Canada, but it's possible that someone could have input the date wrong - you're never given 10 years to 'land' and '2005' is probably the more correct date.

Jeremy
Old Jul 14th 2005, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

dave_topley is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=mark-r]Thanks mate. Well I was given the visa in my passport, and a document to take with me for Landing, and on it it says there is an Expiry date for 2015, it looks like that's when my residency expires, why a mention of 2015?? QUOTE]

I think you'll probably find that this is the expiry date of your passport - not PR. That form (COPR) shows full details of your passport including the expiry date

Dave and Trish