Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Permanent Residency Question - Spousal sponsorship

Permanent Residency Question - Spousal sponsorship

Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:20 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 195
BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road
Question Permanent Residency Question - Spousal sponsorship

These forums are alot of help, and thank you for everyones input and suggestions.

I am still quite lost in our whole process. My fiance and are getting married in Canada in September. He has booked his flight and according to his flight times, he will be here until November.

This is if our process does not go through properly.

My questions is regarding permanent residency.

I want to sponsor him through family class, but through all the confusion, we have not started any of our immigration stuff. I am under the impression we cannot start this process until we are married however, I have heard otherwise from other people now, which is more confusing. He will be arriving in August to help me with wedding plans. Is there any way he can stay in the country while the immigration process is going through?? I see the processing times for PR are less in the UK, can we send our application to the UK even though we will be in Canada?

OH YES, and, when he comes to Canada in August, when he goes through security, what is the best way to go about telling them he is coming here to marry his Canadian girlfriend without being turned around at customs? We have a big wedding being planned with 150+guests, and i'm quite sure I would be devestated if he wasn't allowed in the country for telling the truth.


I have a feeling this whole process would be alot easier if they had a fiance visa like they do in the UK....ARG.

I have spent the last 5 years without the love of my life, only seeing him a few times a year, us getting married is going to be the happiest day of my life, but I REALLY have fears we are going to muck this up
.
BrennaBoo is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:53 am
  #2  
Beep
 
el_richo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 8,311
el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency Question - Spousal sponsorship

Originally Posted by BrennaBoo
I want to sponsor him through family class, but through all the confusion, we have not started any of our immigration stuff. I am under the impression we cannot start this process until we are married however, I have heard otherwise from other people now, which is more confusing.
No you can't because you will need to include a copy of your marriage certificate with the application

Originally Posted by BrennaBoo
He will be arriving in August to help me with wedding plans. Is there any way he can stay in the country while the immigration process is going through?? I see the processing times for PR are less in the UK, can we send our application to the UK even though we will be in Canada?
Yes he can stay with you on a visitor visa which, by all accounts, is up to 6 months. You can also send your application off to be processed in the UK from Canada. Just be aware that he would need to travel to the UK for an interview, which is highly unlikely.

Originally Posted by BrennaBoo
OH YES, and, when he comes to Canada in August, when he goes through security, what is the best way to go about telling them he is coming here to marry his Canadian girlfriend without being turned around at customs? We have a big wedding being planned with 150+guests, and i'm quite sure I would be devestated if he wasn't allowed in the country for telling the truth.
He would simply need to say he is visiting his girlfriend. No big deal.


Some answers for you above in red


.
el_richo is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 1:58 am
  #3  
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus
 
iaink's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2003
Location: Upstate South Carolina
Posts: 30,771
iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency Question - Spousal sponsorship

The alternative is to do go down the conjugal route, but getting married is going to be easier.

Good luck.
iaink is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 2:46 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 195
BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Permanent Residency Question - Spousal sponsorship

Originally Posted by el_richo
No you can't because you will need to include a copy of your marriage certificate with the application



Yes he can stay with you on a visitor visa which, by all accounts, is up to 6 months. You can also send your application off to be processed in the UK from Canada. Just be aware that he would need to travel to the UK for an interview, which is highly unlikely.



He would simply need to say he is visiting his girlfriend. No big deal.


Some answers for you above in red


.
Thank you so much for all your information, i've had a ton of anxiety about this whole situation. This is helping me get through the next few months. I will let everyone know how everything goes once we get married!
BrennaBoo is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 2:47 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 195
BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Permanent Residency Question - Spousal sponsorship

Originally Posted by iaink
The alternative is to do go down the conjugal route, but getting married is going to be easier.

Good luck.
Thanks alot, I hope luck is on our side with this, time and distance has been against us for a while now, it's time we get some good luck!
BrennaBoo is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 3:28 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
castra's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: British Columbia/East Sussex
Posts: 153
castra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nicecastra is just really nice
Default Re: Permanent Residency Question - Spousal sponsorship

Originally Posted by iaink
The alternative is to do go down the conjugal route, but getting married is going to be easier.

Good luck.
Proving a 'conjugal relationship' is a can of confusing worms imo. I looked at that option once. From what 'the OP has described, I doubt her & fiance would be eligible anyway? If they've been together for 5 years & love each other, it's way way simpler to get married.

I would suggest your fiance just states he's "visiting his girlfriend" too. It can Save a whole lot of grilling & potential hassle. Hopefully he won't be carrying a tuxedo & top hat & give the game away?! I used the 'visiting girlfriend line' several times a year for five years & only a couple of times copped an @sshole who gave me a hard time. (Usually one of the officers who look about 18!) I know of somebody who came to visit his fiance last year. He told the truth to CBA at Calgary and was taken for secondary interview & eventually let into Canada, abet only being given a week rather than the usual six months. During that week they got married, bringing the wedding forward by nearly a year.

Best of luck 'Brenna' I was once in the opposite shoes to you having been in a relationship with a Canadian Citizen for over five years. As of last week, the engagement was off & I decided to return to the UK. Ah well, life goes on & things happen for a reason eh?
castra is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 5:12 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Red Deer, AB
Posts: 217
smivers is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Permanent Residency Question - Spousal sponsorship

Hi,

I came into Canada at the beginning of May, 4 weeks before my wedding, and I am not leaving until September, when my wife and I are going to the UK for a wedding blessing and a honeymoon. I told the immigration officer the same, and he gave me a six month stamp in my passport (and they also let me bring in 61 kg of luggage...). Our forms are now submitted and we're waiting for them to be processed.

I did bring a print out of the filled in forms with me when I came, along with some evidence of our relationship, but in the end the only thing he was interested in was proof of our flights back to the UK in September. I think the fact they were booked in my wife's married name also helped.

Andy
smivers is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 6:11 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 195
BrennaBoo is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Permanent Residency Question - Spousal sponsorship

Originally Posted by smivers
Hi,

I came into Canada at the beginning of May, 4 weeks before my wedding, and I am not leaving until September, when my wife and I are going to the UK for a wedding blessing and a honeymoon. I told the immigration officer the same, and he gave me a six month stamp in my passport (and they also let me bring in 61 kg of luggage...). Our forms are now submitted and we're waiting for them to be processed.

I did bring a print out of the filled in forms with me when I came, along with some evidence of our relationship, but in the end the only thing he was interested in was proof of our flights back to the UK in September. I think the fact they were booked in my wife's married name also helped.

Andy
Sorry, just to clarify you came into the country stating your intention to get married??

Thanks everyone so much for all the information, this board is a great resource to those new to immigration. This can seem like an overwhelming process, but to speak to people who have gone through it, it helps me calm my nerves, thank you again!
BrennaBoo is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 6:18 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Red Deer, AB
Posts: 217
smivers is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Permanent Residency Question - Spousal sponsorship

Originally Posted by BrennaBoo
Sorry, just to clarify you came into the country stating your intention to get married??
Yup, I'm a firm believer that honesty is the best policy. I did have to go through the scary glass doors and talk to a more senior officer, but I told him that I was intending to be here for four months without working, would be getting married in four weeks and then submitting my immigration forms. I showed him our flight bookings for September (which are actually a return from Canada to the UK and back again) and he asked if I'd been in trouble with the police - I said no and offered to show him my police clearance certificate (which he didn't look at). He asked what I did, and what my wife did and where she lived, and then stamped my passport with a different stamp from normal and wrote in a date sometime in November, which was six months from when I arrived.

Feel free to shout with any more questions.

Andy
smivers is offline  
Old Jun 24th 2010, 8:52 am
  #10  
Beep
 
el_richo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Here
Posts: 8,311
el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency Question - Spousal sponsorship

Originally Posted by BrennaBoo
Sorry, just to clarify you came into the country stating your intention to get married??

Thanks everyone so much for all the information, this board is a great resource to those new to immigration. This can seem like an overwhelming process, but to speak to people who have gone through it, it helps me calm my nerves, thank you again!
Actually, when i married my Canadian wife back in 2008 i told the officer that i'm here to get married. I was travelling with her at the time and we had a return ticket but either way, i think you'll be fine.

Relax.

.
el_richo is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.