Permanent Residency Obligations

Old May 30th 2010, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

canadaimmigrant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permanent Residency Obligations

I'm planning of moving back to the UK before coming back to Canada.
I became a permanent resident in Canada in Feb 2010.
However, there are things I need to sort out back home in the UK including some debts.

I've now got my Permanent Residence Card and its lasts for 5 years before renewal. I understand looking at some of the legal documentation on the obligations on keeping your residency, the person can leave Canada for up to 3 years without seen as abandoning their residency by immigration, as long as the 2 years of physical residence inside Canada is maintained within every 5 year period.

If your leaving Canada for an extended period of time do you need to notify Immigration? I can't see anything that you need to as you can come and go as you please as long as the residency conditions are met.

There used to be a "returning resident" document but this has now been abandoned.

I've heard that people often have return tickets when they first land in Canada as they wait to get their PR Card and then return to their home country to sort things out before the final move. The one time use of the immigrant visa in their passport has an expiry date and they may find they don't have enough time to organise things before then.
Old May 30th 2010, 5:11 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent Residency Obligations

Hi

Originally Posted by canadaimmigrant
I'm planning of moving back to the UK before coming back to Canada.
I became a permanent resident in Canada in Feb 2010.
However, there are things I need to sort out back home in the UK including some debts.

I've now got my Permanent Residence Card and its lasts for 5 years before renewal. I understand looking at some of the legal documentation on the obligations on keeping your residency, the person can leave Canada for up to 3 years without seen as abandoning their residency by immigration, as long as the 2 years of physical residence inside Canada is maintained within every 5 year period.

If your leaving Canada for an extended period of time do you need to notify Immigration? I can't see anything that you need to as you can come and go as you please as long as the residency conditions are met.

There used to be a "returning resident" document but this has now been abandoned.

I've heard that people often have return tickets when they first land in Canada as they wait to get their PR Card and then return to their home country to sort things out before the final move. The one time use of the immigrant visa in their passport has an expiry date and they may find they don't have enough time to organise things before then.
1. No you don't need to inform CIC that you are leaving.
2. It is up to you to keep track of your absences.