Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Permanent residency - conflict with Fellowship-studies?

Permanent residency - conflict with Fellowship-studies?

Old May 27th 2010, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

FrancoisDublin will become famous soon enough
Default Permanent residency - conflict with Fellowship-studies?

Hi folks,

I think I may have already asked the question previously, but I'm not so sure anymore, so I will ask again just to be safe.

My girlfriend recently was selected for a 3-year fellowship which will allow her to finance herself in Canada. Her field of studies is, obviously, related to canadian history (polar explorations, etc...). She will be tutored in Ottawa then Toronto.

Her question is: should we let the immigration know(we have received our PPR requests last week) about the fellowship, does it conflict with a permanent residency status? This fellowship is paid by the Irish government, therefore I suppose taxes will be paid in Ireland.

As well, we went via the Quebec/CSQ route, and we will reside in Gatineau at the beginning (first 6 months), to allow my gf to pursue her research in Ottawa. However, since we will have to move for at least a year to Toronto afterwards, could the immigration say we just went to Quebec to get the residency status, and cause trouble?

Obviously, we are indeed very focused on Quebec, but the fellowship is a one-time only opportunity for my gf's career, and its not like we're running to Ontario once we land.

All help is appreciated!
Old May 27th 2010, 5:30 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Permanent residency - conflict with Fellowship-studies?

As she would be resident in Canada, Im pretty sure she would file taxes in Canada, and any tax paid in Ireland would count as international credits.

Really if shes not resident in Ireland she should not be paying tax there, but Im not sure how she would achieve this. In the UK you would fill out the appropriate form.

I dont see how CIC would care one way or the other, seems like PR will be sorted in time, so no need for a study permit. I dont see any obvious conflict.

The quebec residence thing I dont know about... Im not totally convinced there is any way to police these provincial requirements. If you intended to remain in Quebec before this fellowship came up I dont see a problem, but who knows. Will you be filing income tax from Quebec...that would help I suppose.
Old May 27th 2010, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

FrancoisDublin will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply!

Yes, we will definitely stay in Gatineau, QC for the first 6 months, so we will get our SIN and taxes sorted in Quebec at first. Flat/houseshare, car, etc.... everything will be done in Quebec, since we come as Quebec applicants, and we liked the region so much when we visited.

I wouldn't them want to think that we got our CSQ just so it's quicker.
Old May 27th 2010, 5:48 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot see how this would conflict with her PR status, so I see no reason to tell Canadian Immigration about it.

If this is being paid for by the Irish government, maybe she should tell them about this, as it may conflict with their funding rules, But this is of course her choice.

As for Quebec Immigration. I only had contact with them within the first couple of months which was an orientation session, and the offer of help with job search or french classes. After that, nothing.

Providing you have a real intent to settling in Quebec when you come, there is nothing stopping you from moving to other parts of Canada to study or work at some later date.

I have moved a few times since moving to Quebec, and do not notify them of my movements or any other plans that I have. For all they know or seem to care, I could be in Alberta now.

As for taxes, if you are still living in Quebec at the end of the tax year you will file it in Quebec, if not, file it where you are living.