Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Permanent Residency Application - Request for Passport from London

Permanent Residency Application - Request for Passport from London

Old Dec 21st 2009, 8:39 am
Just Joined

gunit76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Permanent Residency Application - Request for Passport from London

I am being sponsored by my wife to become a permanent resident in Canada. I am living in Canada at the moment but I applied from "outside" Canada so my application got sent to London. The High Commission has sent me an e-mail requesting that I send my passport, 2 photos and a self addressed envelope so they can stick a visa in with my passport (apparently its so I can enter the country, but seeing as I am already here its no big deal!), I was told by immigration Canada that once I get this I can report to an immigration office and get my permanent residency card. Is this correct? I would love some advice from someone who has gone through a similar situation. Also the e-mail doesnt state whether I should pay for postage for the return envelope. Do I pay postage or does the High Commission pay for the cost? If I do pay how would I go about it considering I live in Canada? I don't want to send the stuff and have it delayed by not paying for return postage
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:10 am
Just Joined

brit_in_cape_breton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Permanent Residency Application - Request for Passport from London

Originally Posted by gunit76
I am being sponsored by my wife to become a permanent resident in Canada. I am living in Canada at the moment but I applied from "outside" Canada so my application got sent to London. The High Commission has sent me an e-mail requesting that I send my passport, 2 photos and a self addressed envelope so they can stick a visa in with my passport (apparently its so I can enter the country, but seeing as I am already here its no big deal!), I was told by immigration Canada that once I get this I can report to an immigration office and get my permanent residency card. Is this correct? I would love some advice from someone who has gone through a similar situation. Also the e-mail doesnt state whether I should pay for postage for the return envelope. Do I pay postage or does the High Commission pay for the cost? If I do pay how would I go about it considering I live in Canada? I don't want to send the stuff and have it delayed by not paying for return postage
Hi, I went through the same, sent my passport back to London from Canada by Courier. Then waited nervously hoping to see my passport again and would they send it registered post. Just over their 30 day timeline it came back (2 days before Christmas), by international registered post, signature required. They pay for the postage! Now I need to land from within Canada!
Old Dec 28th 2009, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

EVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant futureEVA3695 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Permanent Residency Application - Request for Passport from London

Originally Posted by gunit76
You send your passports, and passport photos to London and include a self adressed envelope only...no additional postage required. They will return your passports in the envelope you have sent them along with a COPR (paper form with your photos attached) which you then take to a local CIC office or border crossing for activation. Once you have activated your Visas your permanent residency card will be sent on to an address you choose after. We have been in Canada since 2007. We sent our passports back to London Nov 19th and they were returned to us 22nd Dec - as we live 5 mins from a border crossing we 'Landed' the following day.