British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Permanent residency application (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/permanent-residency-application-941766/)

telgar32 Nov 29th 2021 2:19 pm

Permanent residency application

Hi,
Me and my husband were provincial nominees in Nova Scotia and applied for Permanent Residency in April 2020. However, I lost my job in September 2020 and so our Provincial Nominee Status was rescinded because of this. Today we received a letter saying that we have been refused becausse we are no longer Provincial Nominees.
Does anyone know if we can apply for Permanent Residency again? Or do we have to wait a while before we reapply?

Thank-you

telgar32

christmasoompa Nov 29th 2021 3:21 pm

Re: Permanent residency application

Originally Posted by telgar32 (Post 13076817)
Hi,
Me and my husband were provincial nominees in Nova Scotia and applied for Permanent Residency in April 2020. However, I lost my job in September 2020 and so our Provincial Nominee Status was rescinded because of this. Today we received a letter saying that we have been refused becausse we are no longer Provincial Nominees.
Does anyone know if we can apply for Permanent Residency again? Or do we have to wait a while before we reapply?

Thank-you

telgar32

Hi, really sorry to hear this. You can reapply at any time, if eligible. There's no minimum waiting period.

What is your CRS score, is EE an option? Presumably you're back in the UK (or wherever your home country is) now?

telgar32 Nov 29th 2021 4:26 pm

Thankyou!
I will have to recheck my CRS Score and see if we can apply via Express entry. We are still living in Canada at the moment. I have a closed work permit but as already mentioned lost my job last year. My husband has an open work permit and he is stil working. I was told I can stay in the country until my work permit expires which is July 2022. My husbands employer is currently completing an LMIA to try and get him onto a closed permit which would then make me eligible for the open.
I have had a new job offer since September 2020 but haven't managed to get a new permit. If the new company were able to offer me a full-time and permanent job and not just casusal in the first place then our PNP status would not have been rescinded in the first place. However, they can't because they are uniionised
The Canadian government certainly don't make it easy!
If nothing is sorted between now and July 2022 then we will have to return home to the UK!

If anyone knows of any other options out there please let me know.

christmasoompa Nov 29th 2021 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by telgar32 (Post 13076860)
I will have to recheck my CRS Score and see if we can apply via Express entry. We are still living in Canada at the moment. I have a closed work permit but as already mentioned lost my job last year.

Was your closed work permit from your PNP nomination, or via a LMIA?

I have had a new job offer since September 2020 but haven't managed to get a new permit.

Just checking, you've had a job offer, but you're not working in that job?

If anyone knows of any other options out there please let me know.

What does your husband do?

telgar32 Nov 29th 2021 5:08 pm

Hi,
My work permit was closed via an LMIA. When I was working full-time we applied for PNP and were nominatedI worked for Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) but unfortunately this job did not work out. I cannot start the new job I have been offered until my permit is changed over to the new employer I get an open one.

The governnemt won't change my permit over to another employ unless the job offer is permanent and full-time which the offer I have is not. The company understand my position but say they can only offer casual positions to begin with as they are unionised.

My husband is a Marine Engineer working at boat shop that opened up last year. His employer does not want to lose him as he has helped his business grow. Hence why he is working on getting an LMIA and a closed permit for him.

Siouxie Nov 29th 2021 9:32 pm

I would suggest your husband apply for Permanent Residency asap! ... is his employer willing to sponsor him?

https://novascotiaimmigration.com/mo...killed-worker/
or look at the Atlantic Provinces Pilot Project, if his employer is approved. :D

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ion-pilot.html

telgar32 Nov 30th 2021 1:44 pm

Thankyou! I will have a look. His employer is set up with the Atlantic Pilot Prgram. The immigration agency (Port 2 Port) have said that my husband is too old for this program as he ove the age of 55. Other people have said that this is not true and that the agency just dont use this program as they probably don't get paid for it by the government. It is hard to know what to believe. I wish it wasn't so hard to speak to an immigration lawyer who directly works for the federal government., it would be so much easier if a lawyer could interview me and my husband and then make a decision whether they can give us permanent residency or not.
Also, if you want to extend an open work permit, how long before this expires can you apply?

Siouxie Nov 30th 2021 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by telgar32 (Post 13077134)
Thankyou! I will have a look. His employer is set up with the Atlantic Pilot Prgram. The immigration agency (Port 2 Port) have said that my husband is too old for this program as he ove the age of 55. Other people have said that this is not true and that the agency just dont use this program as they probably don't get paid for it by the government. It is hard to know what to believe. I wish it wasn't so hard to speak to an immigration lawyer who directly works for the federal government., it would be so much easier if a lawyer could interview me and my husband and then make a decision whether they can give us permanent residency or not.
Also, if you want to extend an open work permit, how long before this expires can you apply?

What do you mean by 'agency'? Only Immigration consultants and lawyers in good standing can represent or give paid advice on Immigration matters - No need to use an Immigration Consultant unless you have a complex background, generally speaking.

You need to get the application under AIPP in ASAP = the project is closing on 31st December. :fingerscrossed:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ion-pilot.html

On what grounds are you hoping to extend the open work permit?

telgar32 Nov 30th 2021 10:05 pm

Hi,
By 'agency' I mean Port to Port immigration services based in Halifax. My husband's employer has been working with for a while with getting registered for AIPP. It is one of their consulants that have said my husband is too old for AIPP as he is over the age of 55. His employer decided then to do am LMIA and then get him a closed work permit which would then make me eligible for an open work permit. I would then be able to start the new job that I was offered over a year ago on a casual basis and go full-time and permanent when a position becomes available.
As for extending my husbands current open work permit, I wonder if this is something that we may have to do if the LMIA is not completed by the time this ones expires which is in July 2022 then we will have to look into getting it extended whilst he waits for the other one. Hopefully the LMIA will be completed soon as I know the job has been advertised for the required amount of time now, however, as I am sure you are aware everything is taking longer than normal because of Covid!
We put our application in for PR in April 2020 and only had answer yesterday. It is frustrating as I have been willling to work for the past year and am needed as there are shortage of nurses/carers here! All I need is permission from the goverment!

christmasoompa Dec 2nd 2021 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by telgar32 (Post 13077343)
By 'agency' I mean Port to Port immigration services based in Halifax.

Mmmm. Can't find their registration number on their website (which they're supposed to have on there by law), I'd double check they're licensed. They're also wrong, there is no age limit for the AIPP.

Hi,As for extending my husbands current open work permit, I wonder if this is something that we may have to do if the LMIA is not completed by the time this ones expires which is in July 2022 then we will have to look into getting it extended whilst he waits for the other one.

It can't be extended I'm afraid, he he has no basis for extending his OWP as it was based on your work permit/nomination.

We put our application in for PR in April 2020 and only had answer yesterday. It is frustrating as I have been willling to work for the past year and am needed as there are shortage of nurses/carers here! All I need is permission from the goverment!

Unfortunately though, your PR app was based on your job, so now you no longer have that, you have no basis to apply for PR the same way. You need to look at other options, hence why I asked about your CRS score.

telgar32 Dec 2nd 2021 7:24 pm

Hi, Thankyou for taking a look and letting me know this! Do you know how I find out if they are licenced? Can I take the names of the immigration consultants or supposedly consultants and get these checked anywhere? Someone else I spoke to yesterday said that being over the age of 55 for this program should not be an issue! Defintiely need to check these people out!

My husbands employer which is Boudreau Boats has been using them to get going with the AIPP so he can employer more people from abroad. They are supposedly currently completing an LMIA for my husband so his work permit can be changed to a closed one and I should then be eligible for an open one. Then we were going to reapply for PR with my husband being the principle applicant and me as his spouse.
Or the other option as you say is Express Entry- My CRS Score is 423.

christmasoompa Dec 3rd 2021 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by telgar32 (Post 13077983)
Hi, Thankyou for taking a look and letting me know this! Do you know how I find out if they are licenced?

Just ask them for their ICCRC number, or you can check it yourself on the website - https://college-ic.ca/protecting-the...ion-consultant They are also allowed to advise on immigration if they are lawyers in good standing too, so check that.

Someone else I spoke to yesterday said that being over the age of 55 for this program should not be an issue!

You can just check yourself on the official AIPP info, as you can see no upper or lower age limits in the eligibility requirements.

They are supposedly currently completing an LMIA for my husband so his work permit can be changed to a closed one and I should then be eligible for an open one. Then we were going to reapply for PR with my husband being the principle applicant and me as his spouse.
Or the other option as you say is Express Entry- My CRS Score is 423.

OK, so not enough for you to get PR. What does your husband score and what is his NOC code?

telgar32 Dec 3rd 2021 2:17 pm

My husband's CRS score is 258 so not great! As for finding his NOC code this is where I run into difficulty finding it! He works as a Marine Engineer, building and repairing boats. When you go to enter Marine Engineer on the IRCC website with the NOC list nothing comes up so not sure what to do here.
I think is CRS code is low because he has no official qualifications in what he does. However he has over 30 years of experience. He has a range of skills including welding, fibreglassing and mechanical engineering so I'm unsure of what NOC he would come under. He learned everything by experience from a young age.
He is also a class 1 truck driver, currently in the process of getting this changed over to a Canadian one. He had his own Boat Haulage company in the UK and used to move boats all across Europe. Therefore also have experience in business management.
However, the only official qualification he has is the operators licence he had in the UK to run his boat haulage company.

His employer is keen to keep him because of his experience. The company he works for are new and still developing and he is helping with this.

Its at times like this when I wish we could just get interviewed by an immigration officer who could look at the bigger picture and the whole of our situation and then make a decision on whether we can become permanent residents or not!

Thank you for the info on how to check out whether Port to Port are licenced or not.

Siouxie Dec 3rd 2021 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by telgar32 (Post 13078228)
My husband's CRS score is 258 so not great! As for finding his NOC code this is where I run into difficulty finding it! He works as a Marine Engineer, building and repairing boats. When you go to enter Marine Engineer on the IRCC website with the NOC list nothing comes up so not sure what to do here.

I think is CRS code is low because he has no official qualifications in what he does. However he has over 30 years of experience. He has a range of skills including welding, fibreglassing and mechanical engineering so I'm unsure of what NOC he would come under. He learned everything by experience from a young age.
He is also a class 1 truck driver, currently in the process of getting this changed over to a Canadian one. He had his own Boat Haulage company in the UK and used to move boats all across Europe. Therefore also have experience in business management.
However, the only official qualification he has is the operators licence he had in the UK to run his boat haulage company.

His employer is keen to keep him because of his experience. The company he works for are new and still developing and he is helping with this.

Its at times like this when I wish we could just get interviewed by an immigration officer who could look at the bigger picture and the whole of our situation and then make a decision on whether we can become permanent residents or not!

Thank you for the info on how to check out whether Port to Port are licenced or not.

Without certification he probably won't be able to call himself a Marine Engineer - https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3V...11&MLV=5&CLV=5
and https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3V...11&CLV=5&MLV=5

Boat Builder might work - https://www23.statcan.gc.ca/imdb/p3V...16&MLV=4&CLV=3

But look at other options - these are excluded under 'boat builder' - check out the NOC codes to see which might be a good fit:

• Builders of customized wooden boats and wood shipwrights (See 7271 Carpenters)
  • Canoe builders (See 5244 Artisans and craftspersons)
  • Helpers and labourers in boat assembly (See 9619 Other labourers in processing, manufacturing and utilities)
  • Marine repair technicians (See 7384 Other trades and related occupations, n.e.c.)
  • Supervisors of boat assemblers and inspectors (See 9227 Supervisors, other products manufacturing and assembly)
  • Workers who fabricate, assemble and fit steel and other metal components to build ships (See 7235 Structural metal and platework fabricators and fitters)

:)

telgar32 Dec 9th 2021 9:34 pm

Thanks Siouxie for sending this info. I have had a look over the past few days and some are more fitting than others.