permanent residency?

Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:07 pm
Just Joined

vancouver1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default permanent residency?

hi guys I am a canadian citizen and living in britain, I got my citizenship when I was 17.
I am currently sponsering my husband for citizenship.
I haven't got residency ? do I need it to live in Canada or is citizenship enough.
Does my husband who I am sponsering need residency to move to Canada?

Please help
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:18 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: permanent residency?

You cannot sponsor your husband for citizenship, only for permanent residence. You also have to provide evidence that you intend to move to Canada and settle there with him for his PR application to succeed.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

vancouver1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi jim thanks for thr reply

can i pick your brains a litle more please ?

so me and my husband live in the uk at the moment.we intend on moving to bc in 2010. i am a canadian citizen, so i dont need pr , right?

my husband will need pr first? then after 2/3 years in canada he can apply for citizenship?

im finding the sponsor application forms tedious! can you go to the embassy in london for help in filling them out?

sorry for all the questions ! and thanks
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:41 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

You are correct. As a Canadian citizen you have the right to enter Canada at any time. Your husband needs to be a permanent resident for three years to qualify to apply for citizenship. No one at the high commission can help you fill out the forms. Check out the CIC's website at www.cic.gc.ca and print out the guides for overseas sponsorship of a spouse.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

mrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond reputemrs hortons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vancouver1234
hi jim thanks for thr reply

can i pick your brains a litle more please ?

so me and my husband live in the uk at the moment.we intend on moving to bc in 2010. i am a canadian citizen, so i dont need pr , right?

my husband will need pr first? then after 2/3 years in canada he can apply for citizenship?

im finding the sponsor application forms tedious! can you go to the embassy in london for help in filling them out?

sorry for all the questions ! and thanks
HI there, no you don`t need residency as you are a citizen. YOur hubby will need a PR to live and work in Canada for good, but you can sponsor him from either inside Canada or outside (if he is british he can stay for up to 6mths at a time). From what I have heard it is quicker to do it from outside Canada. My husband sponsored me from the UK and it came through pretty quickly and I am waiting for my passport to come back.
I don`t think they will help you fill out the forms unfortunatly, you could get an immigration lawyer but that is costly. If I were you I would sit down together and just go through it all. It is a pain but I am sure it would be worth it. Good Luck