Wikiposts

Permanent Residency

Old Jan 11th 2008, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

newfiegurl is on a distinguished road
Default Permanent Residency

Hi. I'm writing with concern for my boyfriend who is an Irish citizen. We are currently working and living in Alberta, Canada (and I am a Canadian citizen) but now we'd like to have more options for moving around. He would like to apply for permanent residency under the skilled worker category but I've read it could take up to 5 years! Is this true? Even in you already have a job in Canada and would therefore apply from there? If anyone knows anything, please let me know.

Thanks,
Tracy
Old Jan 11th 2008, 4:50 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Permanent Residency

5 years (likely many more years) is for applications without arranged employment or PNP nomination.

Most cases with arranged employment or PNP and with perfectly prepared application package with all required and case/circumstances specific evidence being 100% conclusive are processed in CHC London at present in 5 to 8 months.

If your bf is working in Canada with valid work permit in skilled occupation, qualifies as skilled worker and his employer is willing to give him permanent job after he becomes a PR then he may file PR application with arranged employment through London and be done with it before end of coming Summer.

Or, if you are already living together as common-law partners (in conjugal relationship) for at least past 12 months then you can sponsor him - this process will take about 3 to 5 months if all is done properly.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Alistayr is an unknown quantity at this point

Your situation is the same as mine...living in Calgary on a 1 year work permit with a job, been living together for 4 years, so she sponsored me under the In-Canada spousal / common law PR route...I front loaded the application with medicals, police checks from various countries, photos of our relationship over the 4 years , double checked all the info i sent in to avoid mistakes etc...

I sent in the documents in July 2007 to Vegriville and my PR approval in principal came in this week - 6 months to the day.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 3:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alistayr
Your situation is the same as mine...living in Calgary on a 1 year work permit with a job, been living together for 4 years, so she sponsored me under the In-Canada spousal / common law PR route...I front loaded the application with medicals, police checks from various countries, photos of our relationship over the 4 years , double checked all the info i sent in to avoid mistakes etc...

I sent in the documents in July 2007 to Vegriville and my PR approval in principal came in this week - 6 months to the day.
I think that's a good option as well but we've only been living together for 3 months now though we began our relationship in June of 2007 but were living in different countries. Do you think they'd consider June to be the beginning of our relationship or just since we've been living together?
Old Jan 12th 2008, 4:01 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

hI

Originally Posted by newfiegurl
I think that's a good option as well but we've only been living together for 3 months now though we began our relationship in June of 2007 but were living in different countries. Do you think they'd consider June to be the beginning of our relationship or just since we've been living together?
Only since you started living together and combining your lives.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, so I think the Skilled Worker category is our best option but I've been reading over Immigration Canada's website and, as usual, nothing is straight-forward. The information provided seems to be for people that are applying from outside the country but what if you're applying from in Canada with a work permit? Do you have to send the same documents? Do you send it to Buffalo? Do you still have to do a criminal check (ugh) and medical? AND, do you only pay the processing fee at first?
So many questions...I'm sure I'll have to call up the call centre which I will hopefully get through to sometime soon!
Old Jan 13th 2008, 1:39 pm
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute

besides the cic-website you find another bunch of useful information in the be wiki about immigration - and if you do a search here you will find that most of your questions have already been answered a couple of times.
Old Jan 16th 2008, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, so I heard today that you have to work in Canada for a year before you can apply for permanent residency under the skilled worker category...is this true?
Old Jan 16th 2008, 2:27 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newfiegurl
Ok, so I heard today that you have to work in Canada for a year before you can apply for permanent residency under the skilled worker category...is this true?
Not true.

Stop listening to ignorant myths and start your learning process here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...lled/index.asp
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:06 am
Forum Regular

Ok, I've combed through the website and have tried contacting the Buffalo office but I'm still a little apprehensive about sending without knowing more.
The CIC website seems to be aimed at people who are applying for PR from outside the country and I haven't been able to find much information for people applying from inside the country. From what I've gathered, I have to use the "Regular" application process because I'm applying as a skilled worker from inside the country, send applicationIMM 0008, IMM 0008 SCHEDULE 1, and IMM 0008 SCHEDULE 3. As well as all criminal checks from each country I've lived in for more than 6 months since the age of 18. I think I also have to send my application to Buffalo.
If anyone knows the right answers to this, please let me know...