Wikiposts

permanent residence

Old Jul 9th 2014, 9:31 am
Just Joined

jkgtr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default permanent residence

Hi guys, just looking a bit of advice.

I have recently been approved for PR status and my copr is currently in the delicate hands of royal mail winging its way to me.

I will be arriving in Canada on the 5th of August but this is just a 2 week stay, due to not having enough time to finish sorting out my affairs here in Northern Ireland i will have to return to finalise shipping belongings, organising my career break and selling the car etc etc. Of course i will now be in possetion of my PR for this trip.

So I am assuming i need to present my PR again when i land for the second time permanently in September?

thanks
Old Jul 9th 2014, 9:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: permanent residence

No, as you'll be a PR already so no need to go through showing your COPR again. You'll only need to go through the rigmarole of showing your proof of funds, goods to follow list etc once thankfully!

You won't have your PR card by Sept though either I wouldn't think, but for any subsequent entries that's all you'd need.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 10:44 am
Just Joined

ok so the copr does not contain the PR card?
Old Jul 9th 2014, 10:53 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

No your pr card is separate and gets mailed to you
Old Jul 9th 2014, 11:03 am
Just Joined

thanks
Old Jul 9th 2014, 6:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jkgtr
ok so the copr does not contain the PR card?
No, as you're not actually a PR once you've received the COPR - you need to 'land' in Canada and fulfil the final conditions of the visa (proof of funds etc) before you're granted PR status. Only then can you apply for your PR card.

HTH.
Old Jul 9th 2014, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

CFAmovingsoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: permanent residence

Hi guys, just looking a bit of advice.

I have recently been approved for PR status and my copr is currently in the delicate hands of royal mail winging its way to me.

I will be arriving in Canada on the 5th of August but this is just a 2 week stay, due to not having enough time to finish sorting out my affairs here in Northern Ireland i will have to return to finalise shipping belongings, organising my career break and selling the car etc etc. Of course i will now be in possetion of my PR for this trip.

So I am assuming i need to present my PR again when i land for the second time permanently in September?

thanks
We just did this in April, now back home and hoping to sell our house soon and then move over. When you land, make sure you bring a tentative goods to follow and goods accompanying list (they appreciate it if you make an effort - we were next to a couple that seemed to be doing the same, they had nothing and didn't speak french or english and they were getting some hassle), but do say you are 'not taking up residence' straight away as you are still in the process of selling stuff etc etc.

They told us to come back in the next trip when we have our final goods to follow/accompanying list. So next time we tell this to the officer and he'll make the correct noises on our form which gets us back in the right hall again.

Make sure you have a Canadian address of a friend you can have your PR card sent to. It took 62 days for ours to arrive at a friend's place. I you live in a visa exempt country for tourist travel, you probably will still be good to go back over I think there's a note of that on the forum somewhere too. Also depending on where you land, you can get your SIN no. directly at some airports, do do this, as it helps with opening a bank account. It took us 45 minutes, but very well spent.

Have fun those two weeks, we did and can't wait to make the final move! Where are you going?

This was our personal experience, I'm not an expert, nor am I advising you to do this this way!
Old Jul 10th 2014, 4:28 am
Just Joined

thanks for the info!

first stop is a town east of Toronto called Kingston where my wife's parents live we will be staying there for a few weeks until we get organised and find somewhere to settle. ( my wife is currently applying for jobs all over including Nunavut and NW territories lol so once that is established we can move on ) so I will be landingin Toronto which i would assume getting my SIN straight forward.

when you say goods to follow and goods accompanying list, are these in the format of an official document or just a list wrote on word and printed out?
Old Jul 10th 2014, 4:30 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Everything you need to know is here: Landing as PR-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Old Jul 10th 2014, 4:40 am
Just Joined

Thanks very much Schnookololy ...... wow that name is harder to type than it looks lol
Old Jul 10th 2014, 4:44 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much Schnookololy ...... wow that name is harder to type than it looks lol
Haha. Didn't realise when I registered that I'd stick around for this long! Schnooks is much easier, and completely fine. :P
Old Jul 10th 2014, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

CFAmovingsoon is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the info!

first stop is a town east of Toronto called Kingston where my wife's parents live we will be staying there for a few weeks until we get organised and find somewhere to settle. ( my wife is currently applying for jobs all over including Nunavut and NW territories lol so once that is established we can move on ) so I will be landingin Toronto which i would assume getting my SIN straight forward.

when you say goods to follow and goods accompanying list, are these in the format of an official document or just a list wrote on word and printed out?
Be friendly and patient and you'll get through no problem! And get your SIN too.
We had a list written up in Word, in tables. They have the forms right there and will fill them out for you, as long as you have your list in some way: I numbered boxes as far as I'd come, gave general content, like "kitchenware" and "clothes", they want serial no's for all things electrical, don't forget jewelry, and take pictures of every item. And I printed everything out in duplicate, just like they want it when you do come to take up residence. I did say that I hadn't had time to finish it up completely, I'd done my best, they said what I had was fine, take the finished product next time you come. They did make me feel that they appreciated that I'd made an effort and "I am not taking up residence at this time, because I still need to sell my house etc " were the magic words in this.