permanent contract on a twp?

Old Aug 15th 2010, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

cathcrow is an unknown quantity at this point
Default permanent contract on a twp?

Hi, I hope someone will be able to help me with my query. This has always been such a valuable forum for me in the past and the contributors are largely responsible for getting me to this stage.
I have been working in Alberta for the last 6 months. I came over on a TWP and have been working in Education in School Administration, my NOC code is 0313. My TWP and LMO expire in February 2010 and my employer is keen for me to sign a permanent contract. However I don't think I can sign a permanent contrat until I'm a permanent resident can I? I would like to get PR asap, however I know I don't have enough work experience for the Canadian Experience route so I assume the FSW is the only route for me. Can I apply already or do I have to wait a while longer?
Any clarification of which order to do things in, regarding contracts and applications, would be much appreciated as my employer is very keen for me to sign.

Many thanks for the help so far, and in anticiaption...
Old Aug 15th 2010, 9:45 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: permanent contract on a twp?

Originally Posted by cathcrow
Hi, I hope someone will be able to help me with my query. This has always been such a valuable forum for me in the past and the contributors are largely responsible for getting me to this stage.
I have been working in Alberta for the last 6 months. I came over on a TWP and have been working in Education in School Administration, my NOC code is 0313. My TWP and LMO expire in February 2010 and my employer is keen for me to sign a permanent contract. However I don't think I can sign a permanent contrat until I'm a permanent resident can I? I would like to get PR asap, however I know I don't have enough work experience for the Canadian Experience route so I assume the FSW is the only route for me. Can I apply already or do I have to wait a while longer?
Any clarification of which order to do things in, regarding contracts and applications, would be much appreciated as my employer is very keen for me to sign.

Many thanks for the help so far, and in anticiaption...
If you can apply as a Skilled Worker (cat 2) i.e. you would meet the points score, etc, then you can apply now and you'd need a permanent job offer for that anyway.

When do your TWP/LMO expire? You said Feb 2010, but I'm guessing that was a typo! If it's Feb 2011, then get your application in asap and you may just have PR before they expire if you do it all quickly.

Good luck.
Old Aug 15th 2010, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

cathcrow is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply. Yes it was a typo on my part. My TWP amd LMO run out in Feb 11. I wasn't sure I could appy this soon for PR, but if I can I will go for it asap. I also didn't realise that it could be processed that quickly and could possibly be through by early next year.
Can you just clarify one thing for me, can I sign the permanent contract that my employers have given me, or do I have to wait until I actually recieve PR?

Many thanks
Old Aug 16th 2010, 12:15 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in Canada since 2001 on TWP's. I've had 3 different jobs, all of which were permanent contracts.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Another tip: If the immigration officer is concerned that the job offer letter does not stipulate a duration of employment, you can tell them that you've verbally agreed on a certain number of years. I did this stating 2 years, and got a 2 year TWP.