permaneant resident card

Old Aug 16th 2010, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

kullymack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default permaneant resident card

Hi I am planning on landing in canada to use my skilled worker visa and confirmation of permanent residence form IMM5292 form.
I need to come back and sort out the sale of my house and removal of goods.

Will me going back cause me any problems when with the Canadian authoritys?
Do I need to take my Permanent Resident Card with me when I leave Canada to come to the UK.
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

gary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond reputegary123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: permaneant resident card

TAKE YOU PR CARD OF THE PAPER THEY GAVE YOU WHEN YOU ARRIVED , if you do not they won't let you on the plane in the uk... I know as it nearly happened to me , had to come back within a week of landing and luckly they stapled the sheet to my passport but i did not know this .. The first thing they asked for in the uk when they saw my visa in the passport was my PR card , so take it

G
Old Aug 16th 2010, 3:38 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: permaneant resident card

No, you absolutely dont need to wait for the PR card if you are a British Citizen.

This has been discussed here many times before.

As a UK PP holder boarding a flight to Canada with a RETURN ticket, your passport is enough to board the flight. Once you are arrived, the paper record of landing or Confirmation of PR form is enough for the immigration officer, and even without it they can check the database for your status. The PR card exists in large part solely so that the airlines can determine the status of people who would otherwise need a visa before they let them board and take the chance on then having to fly them back again for free if they are refused entry.

A one way ticket can complicate things. In that case if it worries you you can get a "Travel Document" (sort of a temporary PR document) that will get you on the plane, but many carriers now are OK with "Visa waiver" passport holders to travel without, so check with your carrier if you want to do a one way flight from the UK back to Canada. Generally though a return ticket isnt significantly more expensive anyway.

Last edited by iaink; Aug 16th 2010 at 3:41 pm.