British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Payment of application fee (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/payment-application-fee-394276/)

KGM Sep 2nd 2006 1:52 am

Payment of application fee

I wondered if there was anything I needed to know (from the experience of other UK applicants) about obtaining a bank draft to pay the PR fee. The instructions are to obtain a bank draft in Canadian Dollars payable to Receiver General for Canada which must clear on a bank in Canada. Before I head to my high street bank and ask for this I thought i should find out if this is as simple as it sounds or do I need to be prepared to shout through the glass at my bank in words of one syllable to the cashier. Thanks in advance for any advice with this :)

dsquared Sep 2nd 2006 4:23 am

Re: Payment of application fee

Originally Posted by KGM
I wondered if there was anything I needed to know (from the experience of other UK applicants) about obtaining a bank draft to pay the PR fee. The instructions are to obtain a bank draft in Canadian Dollars payable to Receiver General for Canada which must clear on a bank in Canada. Before I head to my high street bank and ask for this I thought i should find out if this is as simple as it sounds or do I need to be prepared to shout through the glass at my bank in words of one syllable to the cashier. Thanks in advance for any advice with this :)

It's pretty straightforward - you ask your bank (any bank) for the draft, they tell you you can't have it straight away as they have to get it approved by dudes in Canada.

Then, depending on your bank, they'll send it to you or you'll have to go pick it up. Voila!

Just make sure they do it in the Canadian dollar amount and not the sterling amount in Canadian dollars (we've had this happen to us!!!)

Good luck :D

Almost Canadian Sep 2nd 2006 4:31 am

Originally Posted by KGM

At Natwest you have to complete a form (foreign draft something or other) which is very self explanatory - hand it in and 2-7 days later the draft gets posted to you.

I wouldn't waste any time with a cashier at a kiosk - I would go into a bank/building society and ask at the "information desk" for the appropriate form. With Natwest the payment for the draft is taken straight out of your account (so no need to worry about calculating how much sterling you need). I don't know how this would work if you didn't have an account with them :eek:

I'm sure you will find the whole process very easy - best of luck :D

Woodstock62 Sep 2nd 2006 5:12 am

I got our last one from a local branch of Barclays. The young lad at the counter didn't really know what to do but fortunately someone else did! They don't do many apparently.
I was told that it would take 48 hours to be ready but after some pleading and explaining they did their best to expedite it. It was back in less than 24 hours, they called me and I picked it up.
Bear in mind they're not cheap, it cost me £15.

HTH

pinzo Sep 3rd 2006 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Dying to leave England
At Natwest you have to complete a form (foreign draft something or other) which is very self explanatory - hand it in and 2-7 days later the draft gets posted to you.

I did mine at Natwest as well, it was very easy. As D.T.L.E. says, just complete the Foreign Draft form and the rest is all done by the bank. Keep in mind, Natwest do charge £18 commission fee...and that was in 2004! Can you beleive it, the exchage rate was $2.42/£1 :eek: ! Boy, I wish it was still like that!!!! :p

By the way, keep a copy of Foreign Draft receipt because I recently was asked to pay the Right of Permanent Residence Fee which I had already paid at the beginning of my application. I have now sent them a photocopy of the receipt showing I paid all the fees in full.
Good luck

KGM Sep 4th 2006 6:26 am

Originally Posted by pinzo
I did mine at Natwest as well, it was very easy. As D.T.L.E. says, just complete the Foreign Draft form and the rest is all done by the bank. Keep in mind, Natwest do charge £18 commission fee...and that was in 2004! Can you beleive it, the exchage rate was $2.42/£1 :eek: ! Boy, I wish it was still like that!!!! :p

By the way, keep a copy of Foreign Draft receipt because I recently was asked to pay the Right of Permanent Residence Fee which I had already paid at the beginning of my application. I have now sent them a photocopy of the receipt showing I paid all the fees in full.
Good luck

Thanks to all for your help, much appreciated.

liquidsuite Sep 4th 2006 9:02 am

Hi there I am planning on taken my application next week or week after to london. But you guys say the bank draft can take more then a day. So is it ok for me to apply for this at my bank and then when i get it add it to application when i send ie in 2 weeks time. Or does it have to be done week you apply.

pinzo Sep 4th 2006 9:47 am

Originally Posted by liquidsuite
Hi there I am planning on taken my application next week or week after to london. But you guys say the bank draft can take more then a day. So is it ok for me to apply for this at my bank and then when i get it add it to application when i send ie in 2 weeks time. Or does it have to be done week you apply.

According to the Guide from the CIC website it says fees "must be paid when you send your application to the visa office"

So you should get your bankers draft now before you submit your file and send it all in together, if you don't intend to take your file for two weeks you have plenty of time to get the bankers draft ...if you don't they may send your file back to you as incomplete.

Good luck ;)

liquidsuite Sep 4th 2006 12:03 pm

Is it ok for me to get bank draft now and keep it aside till i send whole pack in 2 weeks. Or is there guidlines for how long banldraft is active.

pinzo Sep 5th 2006 4:37 am

Is it ok for me to get bank draft now and keep it aside till i send whole pack in 2 weeks. Or is there guidlines for how long banldraft is active.

Yes, That is fine. The bank draft is valid for 6 months (I think) Anybody please correct me if I am wrong.

liquidsuite Sep 5th 2006 7:45 am

Originally Posted by pinzo
Yes, That is fine. The bank draft is valid for 6 months (I think) Anybody please correct me if I am wrong.

Ah ok if its valid for 6 months I will get it this week then. Thanks. Yeah if someone else can just confirm that also please

dsquared Sep 5th 2006 7:53 am

Ah ok if its valid for 6 months I will get it this week then. Thanks. Yeah if someone else can just confirm that also please

That's correct - although the High Commission's website states at: http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/fees/e_fees.htm

"BANK DRAFTS HAVE LIMITED VALIDITY. PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOUR DRAFT IS NO OLDER THAN TWO MONTHS WHEN IT REACHES THIS OFFICE"

So 2 weeks will be fine!

HTH

Dsquared :D

mels123 Sep 5th 2006 9:15 am

Just to let you know that you can order them over the phone if you use telephone banking. We found this much easier, as my hubby waited over 40 minutes in the bank!

CIC asked for money for a study permit after sending the paperwork off, so I ordered another draft over the phone, it took less than 5 minutes.

HTH

Mel

KGM Sep 5th 2006 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Woodstock62
I got our last one from a local branch of Barclays. The young lad at the counter didn't really know what to do but fortunately someone else did! They don't do many apparently.
I was told that it would take 48 hours to be ready but after some pleading and explaining they did their best to expedite it. It was back in less than 24 hours, they called me and I picked it up.
Bear in mind they're not cheap, it cost me £15.

HTH

I thought I had read somewhere that the draft in addition to being in Canadian Dollars has to be drawn on a Canadian bank. Although I cannot find this reference now, is it ok for the draft to be drawn on, say, Lloyds TSB?

I want to get this right so thanks again for all your help

jempee Sep 5th 2006 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by KGM
I thought I had read somewhere that the draft in addition to being in Canadian Dollars has to be drawn on a Canadian bank. Although I cannot find this reference now, is it ok for the draft to be drawn on, say, Lloyds TSB?

I want to get this right so thanks again for all your help

When we got the application sent off we went to Barclays for a bankers draft and the nice lady at the foreign exchange counter gave us the draft there and then. When we went a little while later for the next one we had to wait and have it sent to us. :confused: We also sent our work permit one off (but decided not to go due to house not selling!) when it was 4 months old, they never queried it or rejected it.