Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

pay for PR if you do not have a credit card

pay for PR if you do not have a credit card

Old Aug 18th 2016, 10:56 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default pay for PR if you do not have a credit card

I am asking this on behalf of a work colleague who is assisting a youth with his PR application. The youth currently has protected persons status (refugee).

He needs to pay the $490 processing fee but because we get financial donations, our organization has agreed to pay this.

However, the youth does not have a credit card and it states that the applicant has to pay this and the only way is to pay online by credit card. There is nothing about a third party paying for this.

Apparently, you can pay for it at the local office but it slows the application processing times down.

Any ideas around this?
Old Aug 18th 2016, 10:59 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: pay for PR if you do not have a credit card

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I am asking this on behalf of a work colleague who is assisting a youth with his PR application. The youth currently has protected persons status (refugee).

He needs to pay the $490 processing fee but because we get financial donations, our organization has agreed to pay this.

However, the youth does not have a credit card and it states that the applicant has to pay this and the only way is to pay online by credit card. There is nothing about a third party paying for this.

Apparently, you can pay for it at the local office but it slows the application processing times down.

Any ideas around this?
Does he have a bank card with a VISA/MasterCard option? My debit card is a debit MasterCard (mind you, I'm in Australia, so don't know if it's different in Canada). Alternately, could he give someone else the funds and they use their credit card? I know when we applied for my partner's sponsorship/spouse visa we used his credit card even though the application was in my name.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 11:07 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Does he have a bank card with a VISA/MasterCard option? My debit card is a debit MasterCard (mind you, I'm in Australia, so don't know if it's different in Canada). Alternately, could he give someone else the funds and they use their credit card? I know when we applied for my partner's sponsorship/spouse visa we used his credit card even though the application was in my name.
I don't think it can be a debit card and it is doubtful that he has his own bank account - he is homeless.

The organization are happy to pay the $490 so he doesn't have top give us money and one of the workers can pay on their credit card. I am just making sure the card does not need to be in the applicants (the youth) name.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 11:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I don't think it can be a debit card and it is doubtful that he has his own bank account - he is homeless.

The organization are happy to pay the $490 so he doesn't have top give us money and one of the workers can pay on their credit card. I am just making sure the card does not need to be in the applicants (the youth) name.
No, I don't think it does. At least when we did my application to sponsor it didn't - we used the OH's card (his name only)
Old Aug 18th 2016, 11:28 pm
Bex in the city

No, I don't think it does. At least when we did my application to sponsor it didn't - we used the OH's card (his name only)
Great! I will let my colleague know.

Thank you
Old Aug 18th 2016, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Consultants pay processing fees on their credit cards sometimes and then get reimbursed by the client.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Aug 18th 2016 at 11:34 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2016, 11:39 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Consultants pay processing fees on their credit cards sometimes and then get reimbursed by the client.

S
ok that's what I thought with representatives as well.

I'm not sure who will pay for it on their credit card but if it ok to do that then its all good
Old Aug 18th 2016, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I really can't think why it wouldn't be okay but admit I could not find anything directly on a google search. If the colleague is representing the youth (even if uncompensated), then I can't see that it would be a problem.

S
Old Aug 18th 2016, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Alot of times Visa/MC on Canadian debit cards wont work in Canada unless the merchant specifically accepts the debit version and many do not, its mostly just useful when in the US and ordering from US websites.

Interact isn't willing to give up any market share in the debit world.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

habsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond reputehabsfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Alot of times Visa/MC on Canadian debit cards wont work in Canada unless the merchant specifically accepts the debit version and many do not, its mostly just useful when in the US and ordering from US websites.

Interact isn't willing to give up any market share in the debit world.
It just seems crazy really considering you can use a UK debit card to even hire a car in Canada but you can't easily use a Canadian Visa debit to purchase goods.
Old Aug 19th 2016, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by habsfan
It just seems crazy really considering you can use a UK debit card to even hire a car in Canada but you can't easily use a Canadian Visa debit to purchase goods.
Crazy indeed and especially so considering how recent Visa debit started compared to elsewhere, I had a Visa debit card in the US at least by the late 90's or 2000, was quite the shock when I came to Canada and had no credit card and suddenly no way to buy online as my debit card was useless for that.

My credit union doesn't offer Visa debit yet, so still stuck in the dark ages...
Old Aug 19th 2016, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the banks (I know RBC do) offer a visa virtual debit which is a visa card which allows you to make online and telephone purchases with the money leaving a debit account not a credit card.
Old Aug 20th 2016, 6:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

According to the "Pay your Fees" page on CIC website:
a Visa®, MasterCard® or American Express® credit card (prepaid cards are accepted)

Debit cards issued from a Canadian financial institution such as BMO, TD, Scotia Bank or RBC are also accepted. However, users must be enrolled in online banking to pay their fees online. Credit cards that are also used as debit cards (e.g. Visa Debit) are not accepted.
So it would appear you could purchase a prepaid visa or mastercard for him and he could use that to pay the fees.