British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Passports (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/passports-942047/)

Ironbruu Dec 23rd 2021 8:45 am

Passports

Hi folks,
anyone know timeframes for obtaining passports for new citizens ? Is it better to book in person appointments with service Canada ?
Thanks !
bruh

christmasoompa Dec 23rd 2021 8:46 am

Re: Passports

Originally Posted by Ironbruu (Post 13083268)
Hi folks,
anyone know timeframes for obtaining passports for new citizens ? Is it better to book in person appointments with service Canada ?
Thanks !
bruh

It will be quicker if you do it via an in person appointment, but not by much - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ing-times.html

HTH and welcome to BE.

scilly Dec 24th 2021 3:36 am

It is a little more complicated right now, due to Covid, as I found out a couple of months ago.

In normal cases you can just waltz down to the local Passport Office, wait until an agent is free, and then have them go through all your documents to check them and return them to you before handing over the money, and then waiting 2-6 weeks before picking up your passport at the office. This is what we have preferred to do for at least 20 years, in preference to using Canada Post or a courier. The new passport and your documents are returned by Canada Post.

The longer period usually applies to new passports.

Note that whatever time lag they give for the passport online does NOT include the time it takes for Canada Post to deliver it to your house.

BUT what I found in November was that one now has to find the Services Canada site, find the section dealing with passports, then send an email stating what you want. Then you get a confirmation number and an assurance that "a Services Canada representative will contact you within 2 business days.

Then you wait.

I was not contacted within 2 days, nor in 5, and there is no means to ask any question ............... you have the confirmation number to use in any correspondence, but it doesn't tell you HOW to make contact.

The idea is that the Services Canada representative will then make the appointment for you with the nearest Passport Office. You don't seem to have much say in date ............... but I didn't even get that far.

It does seem that the time for obtaining a passport can now be longer than suggested.

Ironbruu Dec 26th 2021 11:37 pm

Finally got my citizenship certificate happy days :). Anyone know how to fill section 3? Is there the answer ‘Yes’ if you were previously PR? Or No to imply you’ don’t have any travel documents apart from your citizenship cert. confusing :confused:.
oh , can any of your references on the form (not garrentor) be a relative outside of canada ?

scilly Dec 27th 2021 3:23 am

Found by working by way through this site

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-passport.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...tml#references

References

You need 2 references for your travel document application.

Your references must
  • be 18 years of age or older
  • have known you for at least
    • 2 years for passport applications
    • 6 months for certificate of identity and refugee travel document applications
  • agree to you using their name and contact information for your application
To avoid delays, make sure your references are available if or when we need to contact them.
  • For example, they’re not travelling outside of the country.
  • If they’re in a different time zone, it may take longer to contact them, which could delay your application.
We may ask for additional references at any time.

Who can’t be a reference

Your reference can’t be
  • your guarantor
  • a family member, such as a
    • spouse or common-law partner
      • Whether you’re the opposite or same sex, you’re considered common-law partners if you’ve lived together in a marriage-like relationship for at least 1 year, but you aren’t legally married.
      • However, if a marriage or common-law relationship has ended, your former spouse or partner can serve as a reference.
    • parent, step-parent, foster parent, or a parent’s spouse or common-law partner
    • mother-in-law or father-in-law
    • child (biological, adopted, foster, or stepchild), or your child’s spouse or common-law partner
    • son-in-law or daughter-in-law
    • sibling (brother, half-brother or stepbrother, or sister, half-sister or stepsister), or your sibling’s spouse or common-law partner
    • brother-in-law or sister-in-law
    • grandparent (biological, adopted, step or foster grandparent), or your grandparent’s spouse or common-law partner
    • grandmother-in-law or grandfather-in-law
    • grandchild (biological, adopted, step or foster grandchild), or your grandchild’s spouse or common-law partner
    • grandson-in-law or granddaughter-in-law
    • anyone else who’s related to you or your spouse or common-law partner by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, adoption or guardianship and lives at the same address as you
      • For example, if your aunt, uncle or cousin lives with you, they can’t be a reference.

I think that it usually taken for granted that your reference should preferably be either a Canadian Permanent Resident or citizen.

Ironbruu Dec 29th 2021 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 13083497)
It is a little more complicated right now, due to Covid, as I found out a couple of months ago.

In normal cases you can just waltz down to the local Passport Office, wait until an agent is free, and then have them go through all your documents to check them and return them to you before handing over the money, and then waiting 2-6 weeks before picking up your passport at the office. This is what we have preferred to do for at least 20 years, in preference to using Canada Post or a courier. The new passport and your documents are returned by Canada Post.

The longer period usually applies to new passports.

Note that whatever time lag they give for the passport online does NOT include the time it takes for Canada Post to deliver it to your house.

BUT what I found in November was that one now has to find the Services Canada site, find the section dealing with passports, then send an email stating what you want. Then you get a confirmation number and an assurance that "a Services Canada representative will contact you within 2 business days.

Then you wait.

I was not contacted within 2 days, nor in 5, and there is no means to ask any question ............... you have the confirmation number to use in any correspondence, but it doesn't tell you HOW to make contact.

The idea is that the Services Canada representative will then make the appointment for you with the nearest Passport Office. You don't seem to have much say in date ............... but I didn't even get that far.

It does seem that the time for obtaining a passport can now be longer than suggested.

So all my forms done now. Just did the online appointment workflow from the site. DId you get an appointment? Is this another blackhole? :(

scilly Dec 30th 2021 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Ironbruu (Post 13084682)
So all my forms done now. Just did the online appointment workflow from the site. DId you get an appointment? Is this another blackhole? :(

I was so fed up after being told by that stupid Services Canada woman that a Canadian passport was not meant for use in Canada and should not be so used, that I gave up in despair.

I intend to start again in January. I have had a Canadian passport since 1974, and have never encountered anything like that before!

Ironbruu Dec 30th 2021 10:04 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 13084721)
I was so fed up after being told by that stupid Services Canada woman that a Canadian passport was not meant for use in Canada and should not be so used, that I gave up in despair.

I intend to start again in January. I have had a Canadian passport since 1974, and have never encountered anything like that before!

oh I see 😮. Unfortunatel..
So You think sending a original citizenship certificate through the canada post system is the way to do it ? Seems like a gamble to never see your original docs again :(. Anyone here use use the post route ?

Twitcher1958 Dec 30th 2021 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 13084721)

I remember being frustrated by Passport Office staff’s knowledge here when I was trying to expedite my passport in 2015. They had no appreciation for the lack of information you get when you’re applying for citizenship, as to how long it would take, the little notice provided for interview/ceremony etc and seemed to think I should have put my life on hold until I was a citizen. We’d had 10 days notice for interview, less for the oath ceremony which happened on a Monday and I had a flight booked for the Friday four days later, which had been booked some time earlier.

Ironbruu Dec 30th 2021 6:27 pm

So how did you expedite? I have a flight booked for Jan too. Theres no way to select a appointment slot on service canada page but only wait for a call back. Looks like I may have to create a driving license appointment (which a booking slot can you do) and then maybe at least route it to a passport person when the time comes.. :sad_smile:

Twitcher1958 Dec 30th 2021 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Ironbruu (Post 13084876)
So how did you expedite? I have a flight booked for Jan too. Theres no way to select a appointment slot on service canada page. Looks like I may have to create a driving license appointment (which a booking slot can you do) and then maybe at least route it to a passport person when the time comes.. :sad_smile:

I could expedite in the good old days by just going in to our local passport office and paying the additional fee. Now their website has a statement about the ability to arrange an appointment if your travel is within 25 days. That is for Whitby.

Ironbruu Dec 30th 2021 11:14 pm

Update : so I got a call back for a passport appointment but Get this -> 28th Jan !! Omg ! 😵‍💫. At this point it might be quicker via the post. I’m SUPER worried about sending my citizenship certificate into the post . Did anyone do this route with success ? (Send of originals of citizenship certificate and Ohip card) ? Shocking situation really :’(

scilly Dec 31st 2021 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Ironbruu (Post 13084745)
oh I see 😮. Unfortunatel..
So You think sending a original citizenship certificate through the canada post system is the way to do it ? Seems like a gamble to never see your original docs again :(. Anyone here use use the post route ?

No, I do not believe sending originals via Canada Post is safe.

If you go that route, I would use a courier company with tracing and signature requirement. BUT the passport people then send your new passport with your original documents back by Canada Post. If I remember correctly, it just arrives in the ordinary mail, not registered, no signature required!

In ordinary times, it would be going in person to an office, and I still think that is the way o go. Just hope you don't get an idiotic person at Services Canada like I did.

I will be trying to get an in-person office appointment. I will just make sure that I have several months before I will need the passport :nod:

I do now have photo ID that is accepted in restaurants, cinemas, etc etc here if I need it.

Ironbruu Dec 31st 2021 4:00 am

Originally Posted by scilly (Post 13084972)
I will be trying to get an in-person office appointment. I will just make sure that I have several months before I will need the passport :nod:

I do now have photo ID that is accepted in restaurants, cinemas, etc etc here if I need it.

FYI service canada guy said you can only have in person appointment if you have a booked flight . So essentially if you want a passport in canada it costs you 2,599 CAD plus tax (Cost of flight plus passport department scam costs)
😪😪😪

scilly Jan 1st 2022 3:15 am

Originally Posted by Ironbruu (Post 13084976)
FYI service canada guy said you can only have in person appointment if you have a booked flight . So essentially if you want a passport in canada it costs you 2,599 CAD plus tax (Cost of flight plus passport department scam costs)
😪😪😪

That's interesting.

I was told that applied to the rapid application when I asked about the 2 week one.

Does the right hand know what the left hand is doing????? :rofl: